Front brake is hanging up even after calliper replaced

Can you take a picture of the new caliper installed and Uninstalled? It might help us narrow down the issue. Also take a photo of the rotor where we can see the mounting bracket

Hoghead

WKR
Turning left puts pressure on the bottom of the tire and that would move the top of the rotor away from the bracket. Something is definitely loose hub bearing or something else. I would road test vehicles for a noise swerving down the road to load and un load the bearing if I thought that might be my noise.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
Turning left puts pressure on the bottom of the tire and that would move the top of the rotor away from the bracket. Something is definitely loose hub bearing or something else. I would road test vehicles for a noise swerving down the road to load and un load the bearing if I thought that might be my noise.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

I agree and that’s why I am stumped, when I grab the tire and rock it there is zero play in anything,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
Can you take a picture of the new caliper installed and Uninstalled? It might help us narrow down the issue. Also take a photo of the rotor where we can see the mounting bracket

I will look at it more tomorrow afternoon, just on night shift right now and put the new calliper on quick thinking it was just seized

I would put a new axle in that side. Looks like they are less than $100 a side. This is based on the noise when turning, a classic sign of a bad wheel bearing. Haven’t done that before? YouTube is your friend.

ODB

WKR
I would put a new axle in that side. Looks like they are less than $100 a side. This is based on the noise when turning, a classic sign of a bad wheel bearing. Haven’t done that before? YouTube is your friend.

YouTube has saved me literally thousands of $$$s with car stuff over the years. Good stuff.

The caliper might actually be preventing the bearing play from showing.

The rotor would be sitting pretty cockeyed in the caliper and pads if the wheel bearing is that bad. It's going to take a good bit of force to move the brake pads and caliper around to show the play.

I'm more on board with this being a really bad wheel bearing, still seems it would have been more than a little obvious putting brakes on it, but it will cause what is happening once it's really shot.

If it's still drivable but with a little notice it's not the wheel bearing. When a wheel bearing goes like that literally the only thing holding your rotors and tire on is the caliper. Had one go once and tried limping it home ended up bending the spindle from the amount of drag on the caliler and had to replace everything on that side(spindle, bearing, caliper, rotor)
My guess is the spindle is tweaked at the mounting points of the caliper. But hard to say with out visually seeing it all together.

Wrench

WKR
If there isn’t any play how would a bad bearing cause the rotor to touch the calliper?

You're thinking tapered roller bearing....think balls. They don't necessarily move angular to the axis but laterally.

Mine came apart when I pulled it. I could induce zero play on the car. I hit it with a pyro and it was a few degrees warmer... nothing substantial. I was getting a noise from that corner that could not be explained, so i pulled the unit bearing....and likely overted a tow truck, killing someone, destroying my tire, caliper and brakes.....or all the above.

Think logically. If there is "X" amount of clearance designed into the space. And thst space is limited by hard parts.....and it changes. What moved? Did your caliper bracket suddenly bend .300"? Did your caliper swell? Did the consumable bearing shit the bed and allow angular motion under ideal conditions which is your warning sign?

I chose the last and won.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
Looks like every thing is square and not bent, I have zero play anywhere

3fa00b842fd0782f6af4b15cf1abc8c7.jpg

DGF

FNG
Shot in the dark, but I've had an old brake hose give the impression the caliper was bad. Sometimes the inside of the hose deteriorates and as it does it can act as a check valve trapping pressure in the caliper.

Replacing the brake hose is relatively easy and inexpensive thing to try.

-Dan

Randle

WKR
May be a optical illusion but the caliper mount flanges look bent out

Last edited:
OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
I was able to just bend the calliper mounting flanges back enough to can clearance so I can drive it to a shop and they can inspect it further for safety reasons, thanks for the help everyone. Greatly appreciated. I will
Let everyone know what the mechanic shops says the cause of it all

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Like has happened to me several times, it's the little things that everyone misses. Then when you find it you say, well F me, how did I miss that.