Front brake is hanging up even after calliper replaced

Shot in the dark, but I've had an old brake hose give the impression the caliper was bad. Sometimes the inside of the hose deteriorates and as it does it can act as a check valve trapping pressure in the caliper.

Replacing the brake hose is relatively easy and inexpensive thing to try.

-Dan

That's not uncommon on old vehicles. I have seen it on a few old farm trucks.

But the rotor rubbing the caliber indicates that it's something more than just a caliper not releasing.

Went from what should be friction to interference.

I was able to just bend the calliper mounting flanges back enough to can clearance so I can drive it to a shop and they can inspect it further for safety reasons, thanks for the help everyone. Greatly appreciated. I will
Let everyone know what the mechanic shops says the cause of it all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That sounds weird. I haven't ever tried to bend flanges before, but if you were able to bend them I wonder if the caliper slides were hung up and it pulled the flanges in towards the rotor.

On the old caliper, were the slides/dowels locked up? Was the actual piston locked?

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
That sounds weird. I haven't ever tried to bend flanges before, but if you were able to bend them I wonder if the caliper slides were hung up and it pulled the flanges in towards the rotor.

It was surprisingly easy, they were steel and not cast so I just put the calliper on and used a pry bar and able to slowly bend it back

It was surprisingly easy, they were steel and not cast so I just put the calliper on and used a pry bar and able to slowly bend it back

See the edit to my previous post asking about condition of the old caliper.

Has me curious if the hydraulics of the brake system had enough force to bend the flanges, tho piston on the inside, pressure would push flanges away, not into rotor.

GotDraw?

WKR
Don't have time to read all the responses....

High odds the inner liner of the brake hose has failed so that it is not allowing all of the fluid to pass when you let off the brake. This keeps the pistons on that brake partly pressurized so the pads drag.

Replace the rubber hose to the caliper. Cheap fix.

JL

ODB

WKR
Don't have time to read all the responses....

High odds the inner liner of the brake hose has failed so that it is not allowing all of the fluid to pass when you let off the brake. This keeps the pistons on that brake partly pressurized so the pads drag.

Replace the rubber hose to the caliper. Cheap fix.

JL

why would that cause the rotor to hit the caliper itself? Wear out pads maybe, but the caliper body?

elkliver

Lil-Rokslider
I had a truck where the brakes wore way down and it scored a line in the piston . When you put the brake on the piston extended and then wouldnt retarct all the way because it wouldn't slide past that score line.

Rob960

Lil-Rokslider
That's not uncommon on old vehicles. I have seen it on a few old farm trucks.

But the rotor rubbing the caliber indicates that it's something more than just a caliper not releasing.

Went from what should be friction to interference.
I had this happen on my 2011 F150. Bought a new caliper, "still hung up". Returned for another and still the same thing. Turned out to be the brake hose.

Tod osier

WKR

really interesting. I would “never” thought that possible to bend that way. Obviously possible, but I’d given low odds of getting that to bend with a bar.

thanks for the details. Give a follow up when you get it back.

KsRancher

WKR
I have been following this thread. I don't have much advice other than. IMO, if you can bend it that easy with a bar. Something isn't right
Edit: by saying "something isn't right" I mean I have never seen or heard of being able to bend that with a bar. I would guess that the piston would push way harder than you could with a bar. I believe I would put on new axle, bearing, rotor and caliper.

Last edited:

Yarak

WKR
The rotor should never contact the caliper
You either have a bent caliper bracket or a wheel bearing that is completely gone

GotDraw?

WKR
why would that cause the rotor to hit the caliper itself? Wear out pads maybe, but the caliper body?
My bad, I did not read the post properly. Forget the hose.

Bad wheel hub bearings, or bent caliper carrier frame from an accident is my best guess.

Other ideas:
Is the wheel hub the proper hub? - if not the offset could be wrong and cause the rotor to hit the caliper.
Is the caliper the correct caliper for the vehicle?

High odds you have the above or damage from a collision.

Let us know. I'm interested...

JL

Last edited:
Replace the rubber break lines. I have had issues like this many times where I thought calipers were set up. It turned out to be the rubber brake line had collapsed.

Over time the brake fluid degrades the rubber in the line, when stepping on the pedal there is enough force to push the piston out, but not enough force to push it back to the reservoir.

As for the caliper bracket. It looks to me like someone installed them in correctly.

I was able to just bend the calliper mounting flanges back enough to can clearance so I can drive it to a shop and they can inspect it further for safety reasons, thanks for the help everyone. Greatly appreciated. I will
Let everyone know what the mechanic shops says the cause of it all

Any update?