Frontal/quartering to shot angle

Hey guys. I'm gearing up for MN Muzzeloader season and have been running through some shot scenarios in my head. I have been muzzleloader hunting for several years and have taken several deer. My question is this - when you are faced with a hard quartering shot angle do you:

1. Pass on the shot - hope for the animal to turn broadside?
2. Put the shot right on the front shoulder and hope to drop the animal?
3. Put the shot as tight as possible to the shoulder but still behind the shoulder?

I shot a nice buck a couple of years ago and had this scenario play out. I wanted to hold right on the front shoulder but I wasn't sure if my setup would blow through it or not. I held just behind the front shoulder and hit one lung, diaphragm, liver, guts and I did get the deer. I would have liked to hit him right on the shoulder and dropped him but I wasn't positive it would blow through. Maybe I'm worried about nothing but I thought I would get some opinions on this since I'm sure some of you have experienced this before. I am shooting a cva Kodiak pro, 100 grains of triple 7 and a 300 grain TC Shockwave bullet. I appreciate your input!

Geewhiz

WKR
I have zero ML experience but I would think that 300 grain of anything (bullet projectiles) would blow through a shoulder on a deer without an issue. Then comes the question if you are willing to sacrifice some meat and how much.

I've shot a couple of deer quartering both hard to and away with an MZ. One with a 250 grain Barnes .452 bullet, one with a 275 grain 45 cal ASG Arrowhead. Neither buck made it 20 yards.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

OP
180splitg3
I've shot a couple of deer quartering both hard to and away with an MZ. One with a 250 grain Barnes .452 bullet, one with a 275 grain 45 cal ASG Arrowhead. Neither buck made it 20 yards.

Where did you hit the deer on the quartering to shot? Did you bust through the shoulder?

I tucked it just inside the shoulder (in the chest) on that buck.
The buck quartering away broke both the femur and the offside shoulder though.

kit_man_duu

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt in southern MN mostly during shotgun season using sabot slugs. I chronographed the shots at around 1600fps as opposed to advertised velocity of 1800fps and I have never had any trouble with quartering shots; these slugs will pass thru both shoulders. Compared to shotgun sabots, I found that muzzleloaders will shoot faster and the bullets are similar in weight, so I think within 150 yards and in it will go thru without any problem.

I Had muley buck walking straight at me at 45 yds. He went down a slight hill and just turned to his right/my left. I shot just in front of high part of his left shoulder into vitals. Federal bor loc 350 gr passed through boiler room and stopped inside hide on his right flank area. His slight downward angle helped - he did a quick dance and fell over.

Attachments

• 20190915_093211.jpg
    20190915_093211.jpg
    461.3 KB · Views: 23
OP
180splitg3
I hunt in southern MN mostly during shotgun season using sabot slugs. I chronographed the shots at around 1600fps as opposed to advertised velocity of 1800fps and I have never had any trouble with quartering shots; these slugs will pass thru both shoulders. Compared to shotgun sabots, I found that muzzleloaders will shoot faster and the bullets are similar in weight, so I think within 150 yards and in it will go thru without any problem.
Thanks for the input 👍🏻

Seeknelk

WKR
Yes ,aim for the desired EXIT! Don't try to slip a quartering to shot behind the shoulder , you'll miss most of the vitals at least. Either right into the shoulder or cheat into the chest some depending on angle.

OP
180splitg3
Yes ,aim for the desired EXIT! Don't try to slip a quartering to shot behind the shoulder , you'll miss most of the vitals at least. Either right into the shoulder or cheat into the chest some depending on angle.
Thanks - my question was whether or not a 300 grain muzzeloader bullet with 100 grains of powder would blow straight through a front shoulder or not. I just haven't shot one directly in the shoulder before...