Frontal shot with a bow

Wanted to get y’all’s thoughts on frontal shots with a bow. Was always told to avoid it, but after actually researching, it seems like if you are proficient and understand the elk’s anatomy then it’s not off the table.

Going on my first bowhunting trip in CO solo so I will be the caller and shooter. If I get a bull coming in from a call then there’s a good chance it’ll be from the front so just looking for some experienced advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jaquomo

WKR
I let many bulls walk over the years, because I'm a solo caller too. Then after some world class bowhunters I know shared the success stories they've had, I decided to give it a shot the next time I had a close frontal opportunity. Bull went down in about 40 yards. It isn't for everyone, but it is definitely a deadly shot.

OP
D
I let many bulls walk over the years, because I'm a solo caller too. Then after some world class bowhunters I know shared the success stories they've had, I decided to give it a shot the next time I had a close frontal opportunity. Bull went down in about 40 yards. It isn't for everyone, but it is definitely a deadly shot.

Yeah I don’t think personally I’d be comfortable more than 25-30 yards but under that distance, I would likely take the shot.

There’s a lot of vitals running through that area.

ElkNut1

WKR
It's without a doubt a very deadly shot when executed! As long as you aren't the type that is shaking at the shot, having a calm demeanor & in total control is a must or do yourself & the animal a favor & let him walk or hope he turns to a more favorable angle. Good luck!

ElkNut

Hnthrdr

WKR
I am more of a 25 yards and in for frontals, yes it is a decent sized target, but it’s very small compared to elk vitals on a broadside shot and if you miss by a little you probably aren’t finding that bull. Also understand head and neck positioning, it’s not always open so don’t try and force it

Trial153

WKR
I won’t pass up a frontal on game, providing on close to being level, they aren’t spooked and I am within my comfort zone for the animal and topography.

BBob

WKR

As a solo hunter mostly, I've come to expect frontal shots or hard quartering too. And yes it is as deadly as they say it is.

Marble

WKR
I have not shot an elk frontal, but I have shot other animals. Never say never in hunting. Sometimes the circumstances you are presented with present opportunities you have never faced before.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

If in my my wheelhouse for an 8" target, I take the frontal on elk without hesitation. It puts them down in a hurry, but in my experience can be less of a blood trail. Exit won't bleed too much, depending on how high impact is, they won't bleed too well either.

Elk can cover ground without air, they got some capacity. Just depends on how hard they run at the shot.

A true head on is pretty easy, center mass left to right and 8" up from the brisket. What might seem like a frontal, heavy quartering to can be a pretty poor shot, so make sure you are aware.

Have guided multiple hunts with frontal shots and all of them have ended well and short trailing jobs

There was a guy on bowsite by the name of Bill Allard who pioneered this shot as far as I'm concerned and I follow what he always mentioned, close, sub 20, 10 even better, deadly.

OP
D
Corey Jacobson has a great module on the frontal shot in his course

Agreed. That’s what made me pose the question. I thought he explained it great, but just wanted to get more thoughts from people that have done it.

i shot a bull a few years back with a frontal at about 3 feet, the arrow never came out. It was in him lengthwise, he ran about 80 yds, and just stood there, I was like uh oh...... He laid down, and died. Not one drop of blood.

OP
D
i shot a bull a few years back with a frontal at about 3 feet, the arrow never came out. It was in him lengthwise, he ran about 80 yds, and just stood there, I was like uh oh...... He laid down, and died. Not one drop of blood.

3 feet… that’ll get the adrenaline flowing.

Do you know how deep the arrow made it into the cavity?

IdahoElk

WKR
Yeah it's a deadly close in shot "IF" executed perfectly, off by a few inches and get ready to spend days following specks of blood with no elk.
I've been with friends that have taken that shot and have had Elk pile up and Elk never found, I personally have passed numerous times on that shot because of what I've seen happen.

OP
D
Yeah it's a deadly close in shot "IF" executed perfectly, off by a few inches and get ready to spend days following specks of blood with no elk.
I've been with friends that have taken that shot and have had Elk pile up and Elk never found, I personally have passed numerous times on that shot because of what I've seen happen.

Yeah originally I said within 25-30 yards I would likely take the shot, but given some more thought and discussion, I probably wouldn’t take it unless it was 20 yards and in.

Deadly shot but not much margin for error.