Frontal shot

Have killed 2 elk, both with frontals. You don't have to shoot some stupid heavy, super high poundage set up to get great penetration. I'm shooting 450g total weight with a 125 grain exodus. Here is where my broadhead ended up after last year's 30 yard frontal. Bull made it ~70 yards.

T37qlHd.jpg

First bull I killed, 20 yard frontal. Watched him fall.

Both times I was 100% confident I could make the shot. They can't tote a proper frontal very far!

George Hamrick

Lil-Rokslider
As opposed to a broadside shot, the margin for error is much smaller. Unfortunately found that out myself. Left or right you’re hitting shoulder and not getting in the cavity. Low and you’re hitting the brisket.

BDRam16

WKR
No, meaning some bow/arrow/broadhead combos are poor choices for taking a frontal in the first place. Light poundage and/or light arrows and/or mechanical broadheads all are not good reasons to not take a frontal. Combine any of those three factors and it's even worse. This is obviously my opinion and someone will quickly chime in saying "I shoot frontals with Rages and they work great" (it is the internet afterall), but frontals will work best with a heavy arrow, decent poundage, and a fixed/cut on contact head. On top of that it's always best to limit to relatively close shots and unaware animals. I'm sure some will argue with this info, but I think it's great advice that will help hunters in the field and will decrease the odds of lost blood trails for folks.
I don’t necessarily disagree with you, but just to be the guy you said would pop up, Rage does make cut on contact head lol.

You hit them in the right spot, it doesn't take much horsepower at all, but it's a narrow slot.

It's kinda like a free-throw shooter. If you are going to be the guy who you want taking the shot, you better be able to hit it everytime in practice. Game time it's different, it ain't particularly small, but it's high pressure.

Big part is reading the animal to know it won't jump. I place it in not particularly hard, but takes experience. More about the situation than making the shot.

Scoot

WKR
I don’t necessarily disagree with you, but just to be the guy you said would pop up, Rage does make cut on contact head lol.
I said a "fixed/cut on contact" head, intending to mean both fixed and cut on contact. The way I said it wasn't very clear though.

BDRam16

WKR
I said a "fixed/cut on contact" head, intending to mean both fixed and cut on contact. The way I said it wasn't very clear though.
I was just messing with you because you said someone would say Rage through the cage lol.

Jrodeo

FNG
Practice and always know your cold bow range. If you shoot above IBO arrow weight and can pull a normal draw weight and hold steady then you’re fine. Just do your homework and know what you’re aiming for. I shot a nice bull last year full frontal, wasn’t intending for that shot but it’s all I had. I knew where my target was and knew I could get it in there. The reason I say “normal draw weight” is that I shoot hoyt defiant 34 @82 lbs and it went through his chest and exited out by the hip bone. I found out right then that you don’t need a heavy setup, just know your target and know your ability.

Attachments

• 36EA6959-0CC8-464D-B977-ECBBA2EDBF61.jpeg
    36EA6959-0CC8-464D-B977-ECBBA2EDBF61.jpeg
    469.2 KB · Views: 70
  • B71C1E8D-3A62-47BC-9CB5-F6C31FA6BF1B.jpeg
    B71C1E8D-3A62-47BC-9CB5-F6C31FA6BF1B.jpeg
    584.4 KB · Views: 72
I arrowed a deer frontal shot. Hit the shoulder and never found the deer.
I shot a deer .243 frontal shot, deer went 30 yards, and dropped . Never found the bullet.

mtnlomo

FNG
I would agree with many, if you have to ask, probably not for you. That being said, once you are comfortable within 25 yards it is deadly. I called in a bull for my dad at 15 yards, frontal shot and it ran 30 yards and tipped over I can't find pics of it now, we don't take many I always forget, but it was awesome. 480ish grain arrow with a cut on contact head, traveling roughly 295 fps, the arrow exited with the fletches being the only thing still in him stuck in between bone in his back hip. Though we didn't need to track him the amount of blood was astonishing. With the aorta being front and center there will be tons of blood pumping out if shot with a sharp head.

Inside 20 yards I feel like it's a no brainer if you know you can hold your s**t together.
On a scale of 1-5. 1 being people who can't draw a bow properly when the adrenaline hits and 5 being people with ice in their veins.
Frontal close shot is for the 3-5ers.

If you've never drawn on a bull. You don't know yet what your number is.

For the scenario to even happen. You'll have nostrils filled with the scent of the bull as the wind pushes it into you.
Most likely you will have heard the bull coming, or anticipated it some how to even have drawn.
The anticipation will be nerve wracking.
The scent will be overwhelming.

That's when you get to find out which number you get to be.

Margin for error. Is it dies, or it doesn't. Low chance of a gut shot at least? Ha

Edit: Thought that was funny after I re read this. "Frontal shot. If you can't smell the elk you're too far away."

Last edited:
Watch the video of Cory Jacobsen in the thread. Born and raised also has a good video on the frontal shot. Deadly shot if placed correctly. As stated above when hunting solo the frontal shot is commonly the only shot presented

p0under99

FNG
Make sure you’re comfortable with your setup and have confidence in your shot. If it’s your only option then take it. Plenty of people mess up broadside shot as well. It’s a tool to be used appropriately.

poster1

FNG
As opposed to a broadside shot, the margin for error is much smaller. Unfortunately found that out myself. Left or right you’re hitting shoulder and not getting in the cavity. Low and you’re hitting the brisket.
I've never had to resort to frontals yet, but from doing a bit of research and prep, am I correct in thinking that there might be a bit more 'margin of error' in being high? Seems like most the failed shots come from being R/L or low.

George Hamrick

Lil-Rokslider
I've never had to resort to frontals yet, but from doing a bit of research and prep, am I correct in thinking that there might be a bit more 'margin of error' in being high? Seems like most the failed shots come from being R/L or low.
That would be my assumption. I can tell you that you definitely don’t want to hit where the blue dot is. Still makes me sick remembering that one. 5F2C5EB6-2D63-4D8C-BEC0-F27FED4F8C34.jpeg

My frontal last year was a very steep, close (8 yard) downhill shot last year. It went high, cut the jugular, ran along between the backstrap and rib/spine junction, then ended up just inside the femur and cut the femoral artery. The only confusing thing about recovery was the blood spraying for several yards at head height, creating a blood highway rather than a blood trail. The elk was dead in 70 yards, I heard the crash. I thought I took a picture of the wound, but can't find it now.

Attachments

• 0904211128.jpg
    0904211128.jpg
    773.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 0904211124.jpg
    0904211124.jpg
    530.4 KB · Views: 42