Frontal Shot?

Yukondog

WKR
I have not. Though I would heavily consider it if it was 20yds or less. I know the window is small but I'm confident I can hit the target.

Matt

BMB

Lil-Rokslider
Who has taken this shot before and what was the outcome?

the only thing i haven't taken that shot on is a pronghorn, mulies, and Audad. Whitetail wasn't a "true" frontal, more of a quartering too me shot (several) all dead within a 100yards. Hogs, the recovery rate isn't as great, i've found about 55% after the shot. 25% the next day(buzzards and other hogs) some i never found. Elk i've done it 3x and found both of them within 200-225yards (shortest 3rd one was around the 80-90yard mark).

>>>---WW---->

Lil-Rokslider
I'll take that shot every time but won't recommend it to others unless they have ice in their vanes. I've taken several animals with that shot and feel that it is the most deadly shot there is, bar none.

drthornton

Lil-Rokslider
My buddy shot his 2010 Elk with a frontal shot at about 35 yards. Arrow buried to about the fletching. As the Bull ran that broadhead just devastated him, wallering around inside his chest. Fell over dead within site. I had not considered a shot like that until I saw it for myself.

Tookeymonster

Lil-Rokslider
I have done it on a simular sized animal (Nailge), with a .300 short mag and he dropped where he stood. I think too many things can go wrong with an arrow but I may be wrong.

littlebuf

Banned
21 yards on a 6x6 bull.went through the jugular,nicked the heart punched a lung and stuck in the rear leg.bull spun and ran about 50 yatds before I stopped him with some frantic cow calls.walked another 30 and tipped over.ill post a pick of how I found the arrow when I get home.I wouldn't take a much longer front shot but really if I can put my broad heads on a playing card at 60 then a 20 to 30 yard frontal is a good shot

Last edited:

Tookeymonster

Lil-Rokslider
where in the front are yall placing your shots? I will have to ad this shot in to my list of shots to take now.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Frontal shots can be accomplished and have dramatic results, but the margin for error is much greater than on a broadside or quartering away shot. Each year I hear about the successful shots of this nature, the ones you dont hear about are the ones that did not end up well. For me personally i will only take this shot when my 7mag is in my hands and not my bow. Check out the following link to provide internal muscle, internal organs and skeletal structure. Shot placement stuff by the idaho state bowhunters:
http://www.idahostatebowhunters.org/elkshotplacement 1.pdf

Last edited:
The frontal shot is the most deadliest shot out there. I have taken a few animals with it. When it happens there is blood everywhere and he animal doesn't make it very far! Last deer I took a frontal shot on it looked like someone was pouring buckets of blood on the ground.

littlebuf

Banned
hers how i found my arrow.kind of a gory pic sorry.but it was devasating.i ended up having to push my arrow out the back of his leg

Attachments

• archery bull 008.jpg
    archery bull 008.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 122

JPhelps

Lil-Rokslider
Took my bull this year with a frontal shot (10* quartering) @ 32 yards. He went about 100 yards and piled up.

phantom16

FNG
I probably (never say never) won't take a frontal shot "again" on an elk. The only time I did this was on a 4X5 Roosey at 15 yards or so in 1995. It was darn near self defense. Shot a fencepost (29", GGII 2219) out of my 72lb Darton Viper and buried the arrow over half way, dead center, perhaps a bit low in his chest. As he wheeled 180 degrees, I let go a two note bugle with my Berry diaphram and the beast stopped at a bit over 30 yards broadside (first arrow sticking straight out like a jousting spear). All happened so quick, but I was able to get a second arrow off which hit very high but clipped a lung. Tracked him till dark with the blood sign disapearing completely. Came back at 0 dark 30 and found him a long, long ways from where I stopped tracking the night before.. He wasn't feeling too well, was down, but was still alive. A well placed third arrow caused a small earthquake as he crashed up and ran another 40 yards before he went down for good (they are very, very tough animals). My first arrow hit nothing of significance that I could see. The second arrow barely clipped the top of a lung. I get pumped when getting close and personal to bugling bulls (who doesn't) but I don't get shaken and am well beyond the knee shaking, can't draw my bow back, stage of my youth but am still very selective about shot placement on a big bull. A bull that has came in to calling "is" alert and anything can happen in milli-seconds. Again, never say never, but unless the beast absolutely will not move out my way and insists upon a lengthy stare down, I'll wait for a shot that I'm much more comfortable with.. RJ

cnelk

WKR
Called in this cow for my buddy last year.
Frontal shot with a mechanical at 19yds
Cow went 20yds

DSC03630.jpg

DSC03637-1.jpg

Last edited:

noroads

FNG
I was right next to my buddy who took a 5x5 bull @ 30 yrds. he hit him right in the pocket between the front shoulder and neck. Bull ran 50 yards and crashed. Very effective and lethal shot. As other have stated, it's not a big window to hit