Frontal shots?

So this morning I passed on a buck at 45 yards, well within my effective range so I wouldn’t have hesitated a moment if he was broadside. But my stalk wasn’t the best so he was looking right at me so I passed on that opportunity. He was already alert so I took a Hail Mary pass at repositioning but he spooked.

In hindsight, I’m not too disappointed since I have a whole year to hunt and he was young. For the future though, how are frontal shots on deer? I’ve heard they’re risky on elk but not sure on deer.

For reference, this is for mule deer and I am shooting 510 grains total with a cut on contact broadhead and 60 pound draw (turned down due to wrist injury, probably working back up to 70 soon)

I have successfully taken a lot of frontal shots, but I wouldn't at that distance.

Let alone one that was already on alert.

Deer for me are going to be 25 or closer, and not keyed on me in the least bit.

MattB

WKR
You should be happy with your decision. Bow shots on alert game are a crap shoot. Combine that with the relatively small window the frontal shot provides, that is a very low % opportunity.

Trial153

WKR
I have had good success with frontal shots, that said they all been close, under 25 yards and they always been on the level or fairly close to it. I personally wouldn’t take a 45 yard shot frontal shot on game, there just isn’t enough margin for error.

Marble

WKR
I think I was a good call. Anytime you are taking a shot and you start wondering if you can make it you are not focused on what you are doing.

Under the right circumstances I would take a 45 yard frontal. But not an alert mule deer.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Scoot

WKR
Here are my criteria for a frontal:
1) top pin distance
2) pretty heavy arrow with fixed broadhead (I shoot both fixed and mechanical)
3) relaxed animal (an animal wound up and ready to spring will move before your arrow gets there)

Dennis

WKR
You made the right choice and that is hunting with respect for our wildlife. I would pass on frontal shots on deer unless extremely close and unaware. To me that is about 5 yards and even then I would hesitate and probably not shoot. The chest opening is very small and the chest angles back and down from the opening which means missing the opening the arrow slides down the outside of the ribs under the shoulders with a wounded deer the likely out come. On elk most limit that shot to less than 20 yards, and elk do not have the reaction time of a deer. My logic is if an elk is four times the size of most deer then the shot on a deer is four times smaller than on an elk. I have only seen one guy take that shot on a huge mule deer at about five yards walking towards him. He lost that buck with his 575 grain arrow.

So this morning I passed on a buck at 45 yards, well within my effective range so I wouldn’t have hesitated a moment if he was broadside. But my stalk wasn’t the best so he was looking right at me so I passed on that opportunity. He was already alert so I took a Hail Mary pass at repositioning but he spooked.

In hindsight, I’m not too disappointed since I have a whole year to hunt and he was young. For the future though, how are frontal shots on deer? I’ve heard they’re risky on elk but not sure on deer.

For reference, this is for mule deer and I am shooting 510 grains total with a cut on contact broadhead and 60 pound draw (turned down due to wrist injury, probably working back up to 70 soon)
regardless of the shot, if there is any question, it's not worth shooting and making a bad shot knowing you weren't 100% confident in the shot. i like frontal shots... within reason. i'm not one to tell someone what shots they should or shouldn't take, but i'm not shooting a 45yd frontal unless it's a follow up shot... and that's an unlikely angle on a follow up, but you know what i'm saying.

i think you for sure made the right call in your situation, you'll get a better opportunity