Frozen moose quarters - AK trucking svc

Southeast

FNG
I am trying out one of the AK trucking services (Alaska Trophy Express) to get moose meat to the lower 48 and wondered if anyone had a few tips for thawing and working with those giant hind quarters. Everything is still in game bags just as we placed it in their truck a few weeks ago. How long might it take in a garage? How long is safe?

Bambistew

WKR
Depends on how warm your garage is. We used to have frozen elk quarters that would take 3-4 days to thaw in 40 degs. A moose quarter isn't that much thicker. I wouldn't worry too much if the temps are under 50. The meat will be ok for a few days. Don't wrap it in plastic, just let it hang in the game bags or pull them off if there isn't any probability of flies.

EastMT

WKR
Yes don’t thaw it at room temp, it needs to pretty cold. If it’s hot/warm in the garage consider paying a meat shop to hang it the cooler for a few days so it tempers correctly. Those quarters can sour pretty fast in a warm room.

If the wind doesn’t blow, take to the oars.

Wapiti1

WKR
If warm, throw them in a cooler in the garage and keep tabs on them. Ice them if you have to and let them thaw slowly. This is if you cannot find a place to hang them, or it is over 50 in the garage. Butchers may not take them. They have rules on mixing inspected meat and wild game.

My bone out moose quarters are in fish boxes in the garage and are on day 3 since flying home from AK. They are about 1/3 thawed and still very cold. Garage temp is about 55 right now.

This evening I was able to pull the backstraps and tenderloins out and process them since they were on top. It'll be another 2 days before I can do anything with the hind quarters.

Jeremy