Fuel can Storage Options?

FlyGuy

WKR
Probably a dumb question, but How are you guys storing gas?

I like to bring 5 gals of extra gas for my truck while on longer hunts. I’ve just been using a standard 5 gal plastic gas can, the one you all probably have in your garage for your lawn mower, but the gas fumes are terrible. My truck is a pretty standard 4x4 daily driver. No racks or upgraded bumpers. It’s a company truck/daily driver so probably won’t do much to it but anything is possible. I have a locking bed cover which I really like to keep icechests and plastic tubs of gear out of sight while the truck is parked at a TH, but the gasoline fumes inside that enclosed bed are horrible. I don’t have an ATV so I don’t pull a trailer.

Anyway, curious what the experts are doing? Is there a better can I should use? I am also curious about mounting options from anyone that has gone that route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Extrapale

WKR
For filling a truck these are hard to beat. I drive a Power Wagon and often carry up to 25 gallons of extra fuel.
47f837f9c35b1c92ce44b879c99fb856.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
When storing fuel, just remember the fuel of today deteriorates faster than the fuel we had even just a few years ago.

if you plan on storing it for longer than a few months it’s best to put an additive in there. I like the Seafoam products over Stabil.

Reactions: ZDR

Wrench

WKR

Final answer.

Mountain_Life

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't found a jug yet that beats the mentioned U Jug. Holds up to 6 gallons, but can be set flat in your truck bed with 5. Empties entire contents in a minute into the desired tank WITHOUT dripping all over your hands and boots. Comes in a variety of colors. Filter included in the cap. Large enough port to fill without pouring gas or diesel on your boots at the pumps. Any other option just kinda pales in comparison imo.

No springs, levers or buttons to break.

TxxAgg

WKR
I like Eagle gas cans. They are metal. You'll still get fumes.

In your situation, I'd put a basket on your hitch. Strap the gas can to it. I have a company vehicle (ford explorer) and do that all the time.

I would really weigh the benefits. If you are so far out or get such terrible mileage that you are afraid of running out, what is 5 gallons going to do for you?

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Steel jerry cans (the ones with a weld down the center, avoid those with rold seams). They are air tight and sunlight does not pass through and break fown the gas.

Antares

WKR
I've never used one, but I've been curious about Rotopax. I want one for my 4wheeler. Seems like it would be nice because it's flat enough that you could stack stuff on top of it.

Fatcamp

WKR
No Spill in the summer for camping.

Scepter MFC for when off road and travelling farther.

We use premium fuel and never store ethanol. Usually don't leave anything in cans for long.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Hands down the best gas can I have ever used! I own a landscaping company and use gas cans every day. You could not give me any other can. I have no problems even if I put one in the cab of a suv. I can regulate the flow enough to fill a chainsaw without spilling:)

Ryan
View attachment 271189
You ever used a Sure-Can? I hate the ones like you posted. If anything happens to my Sure-Cans I'd replace them immediately.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sandstrom

WKR
You ever used a Sure-Can? I hate the ones like you posted. If anything happens to my Sure-Cans I'd replace them immediately.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
For filling a truck these are hard to beat. I drive a Power Wagon and often carry up to 25 gallons of extra fuel.//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210306/47f837f9c35b1c92ce44b879c99fb856.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
I have used one once, probably not enough for passing judgment completely, but I was not super impressed with my initial use. That being said I will pick one up and throw it in the mix and see if my guys like it. I have four lawn service trucks that each have two of the no spill cans on the road working 40 hours a week all season. My guys are not easy on equipment to say the least and definitely “test” all the limits. I have had very very few problems . I have had a few long enough that they wore through on the bottom from riding around all day every day. I have used the utility jug style gas cans, yes they empty much faster, however they are much harder to fill anything with a small tank with out spilling.
Wow, I never realized I was so passionate about gas cans:)

Ryan

ODB

WKR
When storing fuel, just remember the fuel of today deteriorates faster than the fuel we had even just a few years ago.

if you plan on storing it for longer than a few months it’s best to put an additive in there. I like the Seafoam products over Stabil.

I was going to ask this. Are there good studies anyone knows of that quantify gas quality during storage? Is the short shelf-life due to ethanol?