Fuel can Storage Options?

I was going to ask this. Are there good studies anyone knows of that quantify gas quality during storage? Is the short shelf-life due to ethanol?
Yes. Modern fuel lasts up to a year when properly stored, depending on the additives. I'm pretty sure Mobile claims a year. Properly stored being the key. 6 months in a good container, stored in garage, wouldn't give me a second thought.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I was going to ask this. Are there good studies anyone knows of that quantify gas quality during storage? Is the short shelf-life due to ethanol?

I don't know of any studies, but qualit ethinol containing fuel I have stored in Jerry cans has ran small engines without issue after 2 years. Fuel stored in sealed plastic containers tends to work for 6 months or so. If the container leaks fumes shelf life is much shorter as the volatile elements evaporate off. Granted, those numbers are based on casual observation, so while I live buy them, do your own testing.

Years ago, an aquaintance who worked for a power company told me that metal cans where the key to storage as they prevented light from breaking down the fuel. I have not personally looked into the research, but my own experience bears it out.

I've never used one, but I've been curious about Rotopax. I want one for my 4wheeler. Seems like it would be nice because it's flat enough that you could stack stuff on top of it.
Ive had a couple rotopax for at least 5 years, they're spendy but tough as hell and still going strong. Pretty sure you can run them over with your truck and they would survive. I tried a knock off version on amazon in 5 gallon and they've held up pretty good for about 2 years. I leave them mounted flat on my roof rack with locking mounts but usually don't leave gas in them for more than a few days depending on temps and how bumpy the roads im on are cause the pressure builds and you gotta relieve them periodically. Otherwise they can leak a bit, especially if mounted flat. One of the 2 knock offs has finally cracked cause i forgot i had gas in it for about 2 weeks lol. I cant recommend the rotopax enough but if you are careful the knock offs may work and they're still way tougher and more mountable than regular cans.

I guess i dont have any good pics with a clear view of my cans set up but I'll gladly take some if anyone is interested

Fatcamp

WKR

If you search for it there was a thread on Arfcom by a guy who works for a gas company. He kind of broke it down and my big take away was to use premium gas for best results.

It's what I put in all my stuff anyway so not a stretch for me.

Reactions: ODB

DudeBro

Lil-Rokslider
If long-term storage is a concern, why not dump the can into your tank and fill it up with new gas at every fill up? Kind of the same way you extend the life of tires by putting the spare into the tire rotation cycle.

Another no spill fan. Consider 2x 2.5 gallons instead of one five. A bit of redundancy and easier to lift and pour.

as far as storage, if you can find a source for non ethanol gas, that stores better and some will say it is better for small engines. I keep some gas at the house for generators. I use stabil and run my gas stores through my truck 2x per year So nothing sits more than 6 months.

for fuel transfer, I like a shaker siphon. Much easier than pouring from a can.

https://www.amazon.com/SUYIZN-Sipho...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

SMELL: For any trip beyond the gas station I mount my gas jug on a motorcycle hitch carrier outside of the truck. When I park to go ride I use a cable lock to secure it by the handle. Thieves can steal fuel, but only if they siphon it.

Last edited:

greaseywater

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for the no-spill, especially for the fume issue. I sleep in my truck bed with topper. I also keep the no spill back there, except when I'm in it for the night. I have never smelled even a hint of gas fumes.

It is a little bit of a pain to empty the can into the fuel tank, but completely doable. I'm only doing it once per trip, at the end to empty the can, so it hasn't been a deal breaker.

OP
FlyGuy

FlyGuy

WKR
This created more dialogue than I expected. Appreciate the feedback. I figured everyone but me had some kind of bad-ass military or overlanding rack mounted fuel storage system, but it sounds like most just have plastic can in the bed of their truck like me (I just need a better one!)

Long term storage is not a concern. If any fuel is in the can at the end of a trip I transfer it to my truck.

To answer someone else’s question, yes I have used it. Hard to say for sure if I “needed” it. It would have been close and I didn’t bother to risk it. Also, it cost me on a trip in WY 4 years ago back when I didn’t carry any extra fuel. We were driving much more than we expected to between our basecamp and where we were getting into elk. One day, after having to drive up and pull my buddies truck out of the mud, I had to spend most of that afternoon driving out to the only gas station in those parts and back into the unit. I’d still pay good money to have that 1 afternoon back.

I don’t need it often, but on 10-12 day hunts in large units (or on multi unit tags) when I don’t yet know the area, I tend to spend more time driving than I prefer. Having the gas available and not having to stress about fuel is cheap insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I just take gas cans, no spills. When I was in New Mexico a guide had taken out his spare tire from under his Tundra (moved to bed of truck) installed a transfer tank in there and doubled his fuel.

eamyrick

WKR

BBob

WKR
Have you used the buylci website? Their water can prices seem really good.
Yes, friends and I have bought from them multiple times because they are the cheapest. They are cheap because they have the contract to produce the water cans for the military. Scepter has the contract for the fuel cans. Lots of overpriced rip offs out there so shop wisely

Don K

Lil-Rokslider
Does your truck have a trailer hitch? I put on a hitch haul, and put my gas cans on there to keep the fumes out of my truck. Can pick up a hitch haul pretty cheap

Rich M

WKR
What about one of those hauler things that fit into a trailer hitch? Can you do that?

Guess I'm a little late w the hitch haul concept.

Regnar52

FNG
I've had good luck storing ethanol free gas in the no spill brand gas cans for longer periods and not having any issues with smelling the fumes.

Explorer

FNG
I have one of this style. I never stored it in closed environments but every time I open it there is a big pressure release so I don't think it off gasses much. I have lots of different cans, including the VP Racing style, and this is my favorite. Its the easiest to pour, fill, and is in great shape after 8 years. I highly recommend this style.

Fatcamp

WKR
Hands down the best gas can I have ever used! I own a landscaping company and use gas cans every day. You could not give me any other can. I have no problems even if I put one in the cab of a suv. I can regulate the flow enough to fill a chainsaw without spilling:)

Ryan
View attachment 271189

Have to say, after a few years of use I really like these. Carry two with the boat and never a problem.

We definitely have times where we need extra fuel. When camping in the summer there are no gas stations some of the places we go, and Wyoming definitely calls for some spare fuel in the truck. If the weather turns and you need 4wd it burns up quick.

Last edited:

Haggin

Lil-Rokslider
I use standard Jerry Cans and a "super siphon" for transferring to truck/ATV/SXS/mower (anything with a decent size tank). I like the metal cans more I guess and never have a fume problem when storing. The super siphon will move the 5 gallons in under a minute with the can elevated on the side rail of the truck and will not spill.

Built a small rack for them in the back of the truck to haul two cans on trips where I might get the benefit of extra fuel.

I also only store premium (non ethanol) fuel treated with seafom or stabil. I also rotate my stored gas into my mower and ATV/SXS to make sure its fresh.