Fuel consumption of MSR PR Deluxe

Does anyone have some data on fuel consumption of MSR Pocket Rocket Deluxe to boil 16 oz (1/2L) of water at 6-8000 feet?

Making the switch from a JB and a little unsure. Normally I would take about 65 grams a day. MSR cites 28g per 2L which is quite a bit less than what I would budget with the JB.

tdot

WKR
After 7 days at 4000 to 6000 feet, 4 boils per day, I averaged 4grams of fuel per boil, which was 150ml. That was total useage, so included attaching and removing the burner at each boil.

My boil tests before I left showed 7 grams per 450ml at sea level.

That was with a PR Deluxe and a 900ml ti pot

Last edited:

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
the PR Deluxe is pretty efficient; I easily get three days (two boils/day) out of a small canister; the boil time is surprisingly fast too :D

iem0M9m.jpg

sargent

WKR
I figure about 10 grams per boil (between 16 and 24 ounces). Not sure how much elevation changes this, but I have only run out of fuel once when I made too many hot drinks after a long, wet day of hiking. I can get four days of two boils a day or three days with a midday coffee on a small canister.

OP
O
I figure about 10 grams per boil (between 16 and 24 ounces). Not sure how much elevation changes this, but I have only run out of fuel once when I made too many hot drinks after a long, wet day of hiking. I can get four days of two boils a day or three days with a midday coffee on a small canister.
With an oli pot I am averaging 10 grams for 32 oz no wind

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member

this is very close to my experience as well; if the trip is going to be longer than 4 days I grab another small canister or go with a bigger one

Totoro

WKR
I find this thread very interesting; being very ignorant here but how are you fellas determining fuel consumption to the gram?

Curious mind here.

Never been a fan of PR... I think they're kinda cool if you're doing a 3 day spring or fall hike, but when you consider price of fuel cannisters you're better getting one of the liquid fuel stoves

Get the MSR XGK and get a 30 oz fuel bottle

XGK uses gas, white gas, diesel, kero, jp7 and works at all temps and altitudes. Its not meant to regulate flame so it mostly only boils but it works everywhere. a 30oz bottle of weedwacker mix fuel lasted me 5 days of camping for breakfast and dinner water boils for 2 people(so about 40oz water each boil) and I still has some left over.