Fulcrum vs Ma deuce

pc3

WKR
What is people's verdict on these two packs.....advantages/disadvantage's of each.

Is the Fulcrum more versatile even though it lacks a meat shelf ?

Could the grab it be hooked in ad e meat shelf rather than more straps ?

Does he Ma deuce pack into day mode nicely ?

pyrotechnic

Lil-Rokslider
I can't speak to the Ma Deuce but I have the fulcrum. It works really well in daypack mode although it's a bit "strappy". I'm not home and can't double check, but I'm pretty sure it has a meat shelf. I've never used it. I've just packed out my animals in between the wings so far. But I haven't packed a camp and an animal out at the same time with it.

If you're looking for one pack to do it all I highly recommend it.

I read a couple posts of guys being unhappy with the 44 mag compressibility. I believe the Ma Deuce is a bigger 44 mag so I don't have high hopes for it as a day pack. Hopefully someone with some hands on with one will chime in for you.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

easilyamused

Lil-Rokslider
The only downside ive found with my 44mag is with the side compression tight the 2 side spotting scope pockets arent very useful and itll be the same situation with the ma duece. I really like the layout of the 44mag with not having to deal with any straps to open it up unlike my nomad which can be very ‘strappy’ getting in and out of it. Ive used both this past season for day hunting and the 44 mag always feels like a ‘big’ pack where as the nomad (with a guide lid and dry bag how i use it) feels nice and compact. If youre using it for double duty id say the fulcrum would be a better daypack and multi-day bag. If the primary use is mutli-day trips id get the Ma Duece because the layout is really the best ive used if the pack is at leas about half full. Id also look at an AMR or a muskeg 7000 if you want a big bag that works very well compressed down in ‘daypack’ mode

The latest generation of the fulcrum does have a meat shelf.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’ve used a fulcrum quite a bit over the last 3 seasons and I’ve found it to work really well for most applications. I’ve taken a sheep off the mountain with it and hauled a moose out of a swamp with it. I use mine on a tactical frame so it’s not a lightweight pack but it’s a good hauler.

OP
P

pc3

WKR
Thanks folks leaning heavily towards he Fulcrum at this stage.

oldhorse

WKR
I have both the Fulcrum and the 44Mag. I will echo what has already been stated above; Fulcrum collapses into day mode better than the 44Mag. If you are looking for versatility and only want one bag, IMO, the Fulcrum is hard to beat. I do a lot of off-season backpacking, and I love the layout of the 44Mag for this. I had been using a Woodsman with 2 large belt pouches and a Sherman Pocket for this purpose. I transferred everything from the Woodsman to the 44Mag and had room to spare. No additional pockets needed. I can only imagine that the Ma Deuce is Huge! In the end, it's a lot about personal preference. Best of luck on your decision and future adventures!

tdot

WKR
The 44 Mag is awesome, I love it. It sucks in day mode, that's its biggest weakness, IMO. Best setup I've found is to either accept that the side pockets wont be accessible and collapse them with compression straps. What my preferred method has become is to run a Grab-It inside the bag and collapse the bottom of the bag with 2 compression straps. Heavier gear gets loaded above the Grab-It, light/bulky below. My day gear consumes 25L-35L of space. This stops all the gear from collapsing into the bottom of the bag, yet still keeps all the pockets useable. Something similar might work for the Ma Deuce.

Hey all first post on Rokslide! I'm looking for a do it all pack as well as some advice. I've been loving the look of the ma deuce though I'm curious how well it compresses for the day pack once empty. From what everyone is saying here it sounds like I'll be happy with it. I will be packing in for a 5 day elk hunt in the fall in Western Washington. I'm trying to get out as cheap as possible with the exception of the pack I think I'll go Skre camo I have a bear bow some gold tip Hunter arrows montec broadheads I'm hoping to get most of not all I need for around $1500 any advice on frame or anything I should know I'm shorter at 5'7 about 250 hoping to slim down a bit sorry about the book just looking for tons of info and don't know where to start.

Vaultman

WKR
I have the Fulcrum, and it is great in day mode. It is 'strappy', but very accessible and versatile. I've considered a smaller bag (Hoodlum) but the day mode of the fulcrum is hard to beat. My fulcrum does not have a meat shelf (it is 1st gen), but the new ones I believe do.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have the Fulcrum, and it is great in day mode. It is 'strappy', but very accessible and versatile. I've considered a smaller bag (Hoodlum) but the day mode of the fulcrum is hard to beat. My fulcrum does not have a meat shelf (it is 1st gen), but the new ones I believe do.

mine dosent have the meat shelf either, I have been using that pack since the fulcrum came out, I think I put my order in a week or 2 after it became available. Mine is on a 28” tactical frame.

Lawnboi

WKR
Happy fulcrum owner. Meat shelf is overrated, I believe they come with them now but you can sandwich meat in there just the same without it.

Ma deuce isn’t on my radar.

I stopped playing the revolving bag game and just run the fulcrum. As noted it’s a bit strapped, but it does it all, and does it all well.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Happy fulcrum owner. Meat shelf is overrated, I believe they come with them now but you can sandwich meat in there just the same without it.

Ma deuce isn’t on my radar.

I stopped playing the revolving bag game and just run the fulcrum. As noted it’s a bit strapped, but it does it all, and does it all well.

same here. It always blows my mind how people have a bag that they really enjoy and has served them well but they will dump it in an instant for the newest kifaru pack.

I get it, it’s advertising but is any kifaru pack really an upgrade over another kifaru pack? Not in my opinion they aren’t.

OP
P

pc3

WKR
Fulcrum seems to be more popular than the Ma Duece whether that is just a function of the Fulcrum being out for longer ? It would be interesting to know which bag Kifaru are selling more of now out of these two.

Still unsure which bag I'll add for the bigger one.....I dont think Im a fan of too manmy pouches, eventually I'll run four bags;

Fox drive/bird bag/ weekend afternoon quick hunt (I have just purchased anoutdoorsman butte 25 pack in true timber for this purpose) full day bag, medium and large.

44 mag covers the medium bag for me and the large will either be Ma Duece of Fulcrum (change mind daily on this)

Small bag I am either going to go 22 mag with the kifaru light frame or purchase a shape charge or 14'r. Once this is done i'll be set for bags for the rest of my days, no more eberlestocks , camel backs, drag bags etc. just sold my eberlestock....

Vaultman

WKR
Fulcrum seems to be more popular than the Ma Duece whether that is just a function of the Fulcrum being out for longer ? .......
Fulcrum is just plain better. It's nothing to do with being out longer. (Of course my opinion). Way more versatile, better in day pack situation, less waisted weight (pals webbing), but still able to add some pouches.
If you really want to buy 4 bags then don't get the fulcrum. It would prove to you that you waisted money on two other bags. (I have a 22 mag also for non overnight hunts, or maybe one nighters.)
[Again all my opinion.]

Reactions: pc3

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Fulcrum is just plain better. It's nothing to do with being out longer. (Of course my opinion). Way more versatile, better in day pack situation, less waisted weight (pals webbing), but still able to add some pouches.
If you really want to buy 4 bags then don't get the fulcrum. It would prove to you that you waisted money on two other bags. (I have a 22 mag also for non overnight hunts, or maybe one nighters.)
[Again all my opinion.]

I was trying to leave Kifaru and become a full on Stone Glacier convert but my fulcrum pack is making me re-think my opinion, I think the stone glacier is an excellent pack and their company has a very cool concept (gear for ultralight hunters) but I'm starting to feel like the kifaru is just a bit better, I really like the fulcrum and I've been surprised how many people get dazzled by the next best thing be it the cavern or the ma deuce when the fulcrum IMO has it all, I love the center zip and I love the way it packs down for day use while leaving you access to the rear pockets, I can't really think of any way to improve it other than maybe making it a bit lighter but with a new lightweight frame and taking out the plastic panels you should be right around 6-7lbs depending on how many pockets etc you add, maybe a bit more but those kifaru waist belts are so nice, I think they are worth a bit of weight.

None of that is to say I don't like my SG, just the more I mess with the 2 i'm starting to come back to the kifaru more and more.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m a big Fulcrum fan. To reduce the straps flying all over, when I’m in day mode I run the compression straps for the main bag behind, in between the bag and the frame then let the wings compress it. All that’s typically in there is a puffy jacket and rain gear so it doesn’t need much compression. Makes it easy to get in and out of the main bag that way.

I’ve tried a lot of Kifaru bags and I keep coming back to the Fulcrum or the Reckoning. I have an idea for the two to make a baby that would probably make my ultimate pack. The Hoodlum is a super close 3rd to the Reckoning.. maybe even beats it by a small margin.

19e4cea92f975a9f2080e744779a9ad4.jpg
fc33fa30d83301895b126135e2b3b9b1.jpg
e6cc8c2d966d427ad01200335c5e6acf.jpg

LionHead

WKR
Just a few thoughts

I don't own either bag in question but have a 44mag, EMR2 and Mt. warrior.

The EMR2 being VERY similar to the fulcrum is strappy as hell in day mode.

maybe the outside vertical zippers of the fulcrum pockets vs top zip of the EMR fix this but every time I was trying to get into the main bag and had to unbuckle wing pockets they would flop all over the place especially when loaded with spotter and puffys in one wing and tripod and rain gear in the other.

I've transitioned my hunt load to the Mt. Warrior last season archery through October rifle deer and bear.

I've felt out of the 6 types of kifaru packs I've had the MT.warrior does day mode the best so far.

For day mode
-cinch the snow collar all the way and Roll it down, secure with the over the top compression strap.

-suck up all the vertical and horizontal compression straps and it still leaves just enough space for a jacket, Razor 65mm spotter and tripod accessible through the U shape zippered tongue.

The the pack pocket becomes the "everything else" pocket almost the size of a Jansport school bag strapped to the frame.

With the large Molle side pockets I can run compression over or under the side pockets or mount them as EMR2/fulcrum style wings with a couple of k clips and compression straps.

I've been mounting my source bladder between the pack and frame with a couple of S-biners to the grab handle between the stay beams, regardless of pack which seams to eat up less internal pack space.

I just picked up my 44 mag and have not used it other than to load it up with my 3-5 day gear. With two large pockets out back for tarp and water filter in one and possibles in the other it seems it'll work for that role but hauling meat and camp won't be in the cards .

Although out of curiosity it threw it on my lady's 22" frame and out of all of the packs NOT designed for the 22" frame this one actually works in that role.

General a Mtwarrior/emr2 would be a mess of folded cordura (probably worthy of a separate post)

Our biggest issue is all the 22" bags don't have enough volume for her three day gear plus EE accomplice which eats up about 50-60% of the pack space in the Xing and i assume the Woodman's so we've been using a nomad and camp bag modified by Pods8.

I do believe the 44mag is staying on her 22" frame so I'll be looking hard at getting the Ma Deuce because I like the access of the packs main compartment

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just a few thoughts

I don't own either bag in question but have a 44mag, EMR2 and Mt. warrior.

The EMR2 being VERY similar to the fulcrum is strappy as hell in day mode.

maybe the outside vertical zippers of the fulcrum pockets vs top zip of the EMR fix this but every time I was trying to get into the main bag and had to unbuckle wing pockets they would flop all over the place especially when loaded with spotter and puffys in one wing and tripod and rain gear in the other.

The Fulcrum fixed the EMR2 strap issue as far as buckling and unbuckling every time. You can take the straps around the main bag completely off if you don’t want to use them so you get rid of some strapping. You’re right though on the wings IF you don’t have anything in the main bag. If you only put gear in the wings then they can’t tighten down enough to keep them from moving around. So you either put the strap that goes around the main bag, around the wings which will stop them from moving but you probably have to unbuckle to get into a full wing pocket. The side zips are still tremendously better than the top load wings though for access.

I throw my puffy and layers in the main bag because of their bulk and they keep the wings tight enough when compressed they don’t flop. Plus with a lid over the top it helps too. 2nd pic above this was a morning scouting run

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk