Full bore vs Sabots

tdhanses

WKR
Regarding full-bore, I've mentioned here about working with the Thor. I like the design from a controlled expansion and decent ballistic coefficient perspective. I can get a pretty good trajectory and terminal performance out to my max range of around 225 yds, for up to elk size game. What other full-bore bullets would you guys recommend that would perform in this envelope with a 1:28" twist barrel? I'm not sure a pure lead conical would be ideal, or am I mistaken? Any input from guys with real field experience is appreciated.

Again, I'm not talking about target shooting. I need something that performs on elk size game.
Check out Fury and Federal.

DCAABAC6-28B7-4F9D-89F9-AF13699AF732.jpeg87171A32-2DDC-4AF7-BDCC-B758E307C4C4.jpeg

EVO6

Lil-Rokslider
I would recommend giving Parker Production bullets a call. He makes muzzleloader bullets, and has given me a lot of knowledge in picking the right bullet for my muzzleloader set up.

Dean253

FNG
I switched to the Arrowhead XLD bullets in a custom smokeless muzzleloader & they are amazingly accurate & hit animals like a train wreck!

Rich M

WKR
I was at Bass Pro over the weekend and all they had was sabot-type bullets for ML. Not sure about everyone getting away from sabots just yet. They are quick and easy for the average Joe and what he needs to do.

@NBChance - I did some review reading for those Fury bullets and there was a lot of talk about keyholing. They have others if you want to try Fury bullets.

Also - had a fellow give me a great review on the Federal bullets. FWIW.

ENCORE

WKR
I would recommend giving Parker Production bullets a call. He makes muzzleloader bullets, and has given me a lot of knowledge in picking the right bullet for my muzzleloader set up.
I don't believe Bob makes a full bore 50cal bullet. IIRC they're all .451" requiring a sabot to shoot in a 50cal.

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
Aside from the Parker BE, all his bullets are a bit long for shooting in a 1-28 with sabots. His Black Max might be ok but those are sure pricey for what you get. Only the BE and E-MAX are .015 jackets too. Something to consider if longer range impacts are likely at smoker speeds.

Last edited: