Full Cal Bullets?

bowinhand

WKR
Who uses full cal pistol or other bullets in their guns for states or seasons requiring no sabots and what are you shooting?

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Me, I use conicals for Idaho and Colorado. Have had great luck with Precision Rifles bullet and the tech support is great if you can be patient and reach Cecil, the owner. Tons of info on his website.

see prbullet.com

I did a few threads on this earlier this year.

See

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/showthread.php?1148-Big-mule-deer-here-I-come-)

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/showthread.php?3284-Robby-Denning-s-Colorado-Muzzleloader-Hunt

A few of the posters on here could chime in, too.

Conicals can be finicky, but with some work, should perform well.

Are powerblelts legal in colorado ?

Were it me going to Colorado to hunt I would not trust a powerbelt at all, although they are the easiest thing to load. I would without a doubt go with the Thor all copper Barnes type bullet or even the Hornady FPB before using any PowerBelt - but if you need to use the powerbelt and you are going after elk - 348 would be the minimum

Actually I have even a better favorite but they are not available yet. This is a picture of a 50 cal Lehigh sabotless bullet. Dave is/wasstarting to develope this for muzzleloaders and then got side-tracked. I got a couple 100 as a part of a sample run and really enjoy shooting these.

The are right at 270 grains in weight and work very well on animals both deer and elk. I shoot them 120 T7-2f and they shoot lights out accurately.

50calSabotless.jpg

Here is a sample target with some velocities...

7-1-12shoot.jpg

This all can be matched with a Thor

https://thorbullets.com/About_THOR_BULLETS.html

Foldem

WKR
I have been shooting the Hornandy FPB's with pretty good results in my TC Triumph, but nothing like those groups. I'm planning to try some Thors and some No Excuses bullets this summer.

I have been shooting the Hornandy FPB's with pretty good results in my TC Triumph, but nothing like those groups. I'm planning to try some Thors and some No Excuses bullets this summer.

By this summer.... I am hoping that Dave can get some time to run another bunch of the 50 Cal sabotless... but if not you might get a sample pack of Thors from Thor so you can see which one fits the best.

In Utah can you not use sabot's?

If you can I really have a great bullet for you from Lehigh or even the Bloodline from Knight...

Foldem

WKR
Sabot, the hunt I look forward to the most every year is a CO muzzleloader hunt. I actually just moved to Utah so I haven't researched the muzzleloader requirements here yet, but I think you're right.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Utah allows sabots, 1x scopes, inlines, all that stuff. Great state to hunt with a muzzleloader as far as gear goes.

Sabot, the hunt I look forward to the most every year is a CO muzzleloader hunt. I actually just moved to Utah so I haven't researched the muzzleloader requirements here yet, but I think you're right.

WELL... after reading robby denning post let me suggest a great bullet for Utah... This is the bullet that I use here in Idaho during rifle season...

458-305.jpg

This bullet is designed for 45-70 rifles and I have nick named it the Buffalo Bullet, as that is one the animals that the 45-70 guys use it on with great success.

Put it in a MMP 457/458 x 50 Orange sabot and push it down your 50 in you are good to good for a great elk.

Here is another pic...

ComponentsCompo.jpg

Remember this is just my thoughts... which in my house really do not seem to carry a lot of weight;)

OP
B

bowinhand

WKR
I got my dia. test kit from Thor but havent had a chance to mess with it yet. I wonder how I canload them without shooting them , good thing I have an inline...

philw

Lil-Rokslider
Were it me going to Colorado to hunt I would not trust a powerbelt at all, although they are the easiest thing to load.

I've shot 6 or 7 elk in Colorado with Powerbelts, and they all died just fine. I wouldn't hesitate to use them.

If the .500 dia ones fit I might buy the reload pistol bullets?

Great, I know there are success stories but in general I and a lot of other people would not trust a soft lead power belt. Even a PB with a copper jacket the bullet and will pancake or even explode at times. The Plats are a bit better but there are such better bullets out there to use.

OP
B

bowinhand

WKR
Tried the sample pack and the .500 loaded about the same as the PR bullets that shot well this year. I don't know what 20-30lbs of loading preasher is supposed to feel like as I've never shot a sabot per instuctions that came with the sample pack. My hope for the thor bullet is one that loads like a lead connical, is accurate, has controlled expansion, and high wieght retension.