Full hunting pack weight....????

I have been dropping weight pretty steadily this year off my pack and gear. I have probably dropped over 12-13 pounds but i have added a spotting scope and tripod so it is more like 8 pounds or so.

I went out this last weekend and hiked 48 miles with my pack at 36 pounds. But that included a camp chair, Extra shoes, fly rod and some gear, and 3.5 pounds of elk tenderloins for my backpacking buddies to consume. Which by the way, everyone made fun of me bringing them but nobody complained when they were stuffing there faces after 17 miles the first night.

My question is this. What is everyone's acceptable weight with rifle, kill kit, and all our gear/food. The perfect answer is zero or as close to it but what can you acceptably live with on average?

Best I figure i did my last hunt with over 55 pounds and that was with no spotting scope/ tripod. I well below that now and cant think of where to shave it. I guess I am around 42-45 with rifle and all my gear including spotting scope. Haven't finished putting it together and weighing it yet.

dbaker

Lil-Rokslider
i am right at 45 pounds for 7 day backcountry and i thought i was doing okay until I realized that was without the spotting scope, tripod and bow. back to the drawing boards...

Rizzy

WKR
Including 3L of water and rifle, I can get around 45ish for 3 days pretty easy. My cutoff is about 50 all inclusive, when I reach that I start reassessing my load. The most I've done is 5 days within that criteria.

rodney482

WKR
I just spent the last hour working on my 10 day pack.

Cut way back on clothes
Only taking food for 5 days (truck is only 5 miles away)

With bow and optics Im under 50 without water.

cmeier117

WKR
Last year I took about twice the food I needed which was 10 extra pounds. My pack was just under 70 with water. I would like to be around 50 too for a 10 day hunt.

TJ

WKR
Last year with 11 days food, 3L water and bow strapped to pack I was 54 1/2 lbs.

I am hoping to shed some weight but I am also thinking about getting a spotter this year, so I may be adding some!!!!

littlebuf

Banned
I cant seem to get under 48. but that's 7 days and my bow strapped to my pack. so all things considered im pretty happy with sub 50#

Craig4791

WKR
I cant seem to get under 48. but that's 7 days and my bow strapped to my pack. so all things considered im pretty happy with sub 50#

Me neither. When I'm bringing spotter and tripod and counting my bow for 7-10 days I'm low 50's

Snyd

WKR
For a 2 man backcountry sheep hunt with shared weight of tent, spotter/tripod, stove/fuel, water filter I'm at about 38lbs of gear including rifle. Food depends on the length of the hunt and what I feel like eatin but I like to some real food :D Water I can carry up to 9L if needed. Again, it depends on the situation. That's with Hilleberg Tarra tent 8lbs 12 ozs...too heavy for Lightweight Hunters I know but I love it and it's bomber. I suppose I could get closer to 35-36 lbs with a lighter tent but I'm old (53 in August) and I like my warm, comfort Bunker :D I'll be packin 60ish lbs goin in I suppose.

I am constantly re-evaluating my pack weight. This year for spring bear 7 day hunt i was at 36 pounds with 3 liters of water and 40 cal pistol. But then again i'm kind of a UL freak and weigh everything.

OP
twintips16
I am constantly re-evaluating my pack weight. This year for spring bear 7 day hunt i was at 36 pounds with 3 liters of water and 40 cal pistol. But then again i'm kind of a UL freak and weigh everything.

I wish i could get there.

My 36 pounds was with 1.5L of water and it didn't include my 10mm....

Was that also with a rifle?

Manosteel

WKR
Pack +Shleter+sleep system+clothing+Raingear+cooking+safety+kilkit+hygiene+ misc = I am at approx 29lbs

ADD optics Bino's+rangfindr+scope+tripode+bino adpater = Iam at approx 35lbs

ADD Bow+quvier+stablizer+arrows+tool specific to bow = I am at approx 42lbs

Then I just add food & water to above as necessarry for 5 days.

That is all wieght going in solo - will be a little lighter if share gear with a partner.

Last edited:

Sundodger

Lil-Rokslider
My goal this year is to come out with boned out mule deer and head/antlers under 125lbs. That means I need to go in around 58lbs max (coming back with minimal food and such).