Full length die recommendations...

farmer14

Lil-Rokslider
Anybody have a bead on some good dies? I’m looking to upgrade my RCBS FL die set for 300 win mag. I was eyeing the gold medal and competition from RCBS but the neck bushings sound complicated. Thanks in advance, roksliders

rickiesrevenge

Lil-Rokslider
Neck bushings aren't complicated. Measure the neck of a loaded round with your brass. Subtract .003" or .002". Buy that bushing. Some people want a little more tension. But I normally start at .003"

Aaron

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

C9X19

FNG
I've been happy with my Forster dies. They include a vent hole to prevent denting cases if there's too much lube present. No complaints here.

I've been happy with my Forster dies. They include a vent hole to prevent denting cases if there's too much lube present. No complaints here.

I don't think that vent hole is meant to allow escape of excess case lube ? "too much" lube will dent your shoulder but it doesn't damage the brass or change how the load will act, just go easier on the amount of lube

WestexSBK

Lil-Rokslider
X2

Redding, Wilson, and Harrell’s are great FL Bushing dies

Neck bushings aren't complicated. Measure the neck of a loaded round with your brass. Subtract .003" or .002". Buy that bushing. Some people want a little more tension. But I normally start at .003"

Aaron

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

C9X19

FNG
I don't think that vent hole is meant to allow escape of excess case lube ? "too much" lube will dent your shoulder but it doesn't damage the brass or change how the load will act, just go easier on the amount of lube

I agree with you 100% on not using excessive lube but the feature is value added. From the Forster website: "Precisely positioned vent hole located in the threaded or recessed portion of the die body prevents excessive, trapped air and lubricants from damaging the die’s components or your cases"

Rcbs gold medal dies are great, recently started using them for 300wby and 300Rum. Redding bushing dies are also a mainstay. I won’t use the Hornady or Lee dies. I’ve gotten inconsistent neck sizing from both in the past.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rayporter

WKR
make sure you get a brand that does NOT have a proprietary bushing that will not fit any other die.

you can get custom ground dies from several manufactures without bushings made to fit your brass.
this can almost assure you will get straight ammo.

but bushings are far easier- get three bushings when you buy.

cjl2010

Lil-Rokslider
If I were you I would buy a Whidden, Forster, Redding micrometer seating die and a Sinclair mandrel die and just pull the guts out of your fl die.

Doghed

WKR
If I were you I would buy a Whidden, Forster, Redding micrometer seating die and a Sinclair mandrel die and just pull the guts out of your fl die.
Thats what I did with my Whidden, sort of. You can't pull the guts as that is what holds the bushing in place but I did remove the expander ball and set final neck tension with a K&M mandrel.

cjl2010

Lil-Rokslider
Thats what I did with my Whidden, sort of. You can't pull the guts as that is what holds the bushing in place but I did remove the expander ball and set final neck tension with a K&M mandrel.
I do the same with my bushing dies I already had. All new dies I just buy regular FL dies and pull the guts.

rayporter

WKR
a way to get many mandrels for sizing necks weather for seating or neck turning is to use pin gauges in your collet style bullet puller. the pin gauges can be found on amazon for 2 to 4 bucks. they come in .0005 increments.

you need to taper the pins before you clamp them in the collet.