Full Length Resize Method

STXB245

FNG
What’s your method for resizing and controlling neck tension?

I’ve seen many tests regarding this with some people using just a bushing die. Ive seen some people using a non-bushing die with an expander mandrel. And lastly, I’ve seen some people using a bushing die and mandrel.

What have you found to be the best process for resizing while controlling neck tension? Thanks in advance.

49ereric

WKR
How far will you be shooting?
I don’t shoot far here in the woods so I just use a regular die but neck size until brass grows to much to chamber. Bullet choice is more important to me and I let the barrel decide.

OP
S

STXB245

FNG
How far will you be shooting?
I don’t shoot far here in the woods so I just use a regular die but neck size until brass grows to much to chamber. Bullet choice is more important to me and I let the barrel decide.
I plan on taking it to 1000. I don’t really have the ability to shoot further than that very easily.

BrBa

Lil-Rokslider
Hunting rifle? Benchrest? Are you going to anneal? A lot will depend on your intended use.

OP
S

STXB245

FNG
Hunting rifle? Benchrest? Are you going to anneal? A lot will depend on your intended use.
It’s mainly a hunting gun but I plan on doing plenty of target shooting out to 1000 with it. Cases will be annealed.

BrBa

Lil-Rokslider
In that case I would full length size, remove the expander ball, and expand the neck inside diameter with a mandrel. Be sure to use lube on the case body and inside the neck.

You could also just use a body die and a Lee collet die, but the mandrels will give you more control.

83cj-7

WKR
Neck turning, annealing and a Lee collet die are how to get consistent neck tension without the “donut” issue caused by bushing dies.

Lately i usually buy a Forster FL sizing die and just have the neck honed such that it doesn't overwork the brass and live with whatever neck tension the supplied expander ball gives me.

Cant say i've seen any performance difference vs FL bushing sizing or FL bushing sizing then mandrel expanding.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Standard FL sizing die, polish expander ball down to .002-3" below bullet diameter for about .003-4" interference with springback depending on cartridge. I have a new hatred for bushing dies and will be following the recommendation below. I don't believe neck tension makes enough difference to affect accuracy in a hunting rifle to worry about it, I've yet to see valid results that it actually does.

Lately i usually buy a Forster FL sizing die and just have the neck honed such that it doesn't overwork the brass and live with whatever neck tension the supplied expander ball gives me.

Cant say i've seen any performance difference vs FL bushing sizing or FL bushing sizing then mandrel expanding.
Does Forster hone them if you order direct, or do you send them off?

Standard FL sizing die, polish expander ball down to .002-3" below bullet diameter for about .003-4" interference with springback depending on cartridge. I have a new hatred for bushing dies and will be following the recommendation below. I don't believe neck tension makes enough difference to affect accuracy in a hunting rifle to worry about it, I've yet to see valid results that it actually does.

I've done it both ways but the ones i sent in were a number of years ago.

Axlrod

WKR
I use bushings only, no expander ball, no annealing. Most load development done between 600-1000 yards. I usually buy 3 or 4 bushings and try them all at long range. A lot of the guns I have tested like neck tension in the .004" to .006" range.

You send them off to Forster with a few sacrificial pieces of brass. You can also send off your preferred projectile and they will hone the seating stem to match as well.

I had good results switching to using a mandrel in my 6.5 grendel gas gun.

I usually get some neck deformity from the case hitting the deflector so I switched the 6.5 expander to a 22 cal expander off another die, size, and then neck tension to .261. Was able to get down to about .3" 5 shot groups at 100 that way. Best before using a mandrel was around .6" but that could have also been me not doing my part.

What is your goal with respect to neck tension? Keeping it consistent, trying different amounts of neck tension to dial in a load?

Someone else said it, basic full length die sets from anyone are good. They have served very well for 30 years on my bench.

Don't overthink it or overspend.

Harvey_NW

WKR
You send them off to Forster with a few sacrificial pieces of brass. You can also send off your preferred projectile and they will hone the seating stem to match as well.
Chatted with them and they only hone small amounts out of their dies, they won't go up a caliber size like 6 to 25 like I need, and they don't make customs. Gonna have to deal with a bushing die, or fork out the dough for a custom from Hornady.