Full metal Jackets mushrooming

Anyone had this issue? This about the the 7th one. There 10.3gpi and 400gr
I’m shooting a Mathew’s v3 at 70lbs 100gr field points
I need new arrows and before going to my local shop and buying more of these. What’s a good place online to buy arrows from? Do you recommend a different kind. I’ve been shooting these for a decade but with my new setup this keeps happening.
Thank you!

Attachments

• D99206F4-D2A5-4471-9A9E-658D1F77446C.jpeg
    D99206F4-D2A5-4471-9A9E-658D1F77446C.jpeg
    145.1 KB · Views: 56

Marble

WKR
I haven't seen that unless I hit something fairly hard.

I sit the Axis and shoot my practice arrows 1000 times and don't have that issue.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

How did you glue the inserts in?

I have had that happen using hotmelt on certain shafts. It doesn’t hold the insert very well. Hit anything remotely hard and thats the result.

Last edited:
OP
S
How did you glue the inserts in?

I have had that happen using hotmelt on certain shafts. It doesn’t hold the insert very well. Hit anything remotely hard and thats the result.
My local archery shop did it.
I asked him he said i must be missing.
Im not perfect but don't really miss often
I do shoot 3d targets exclusively. Just what i have.

My local archery shop did it.
I asked him he said i must be missing.
Im not perfect but don't really miss often
I do shoot 3d targets exclusively. Just what i have.
Easton shafts are one that I use a CA glue and prep the inside of the shaft. I haven’t had it happen since unless I hit something extremely hard and usually break the shaft. You might try the same.

Marble

WKR
If they used hot melt he could just heat up a tip and see if it pulls out.

It's either glue, improper install or hitting stuff.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

cocky84

WKR
I have had this issue with the half out inserts that come with them, but only when hitting something hard. I switched to ethics sleeve style insert/outsert and havnt had any trouble.

Elkhntr08

WKR
Been shooting FMJ arrows for years now and never had that happen. I was using the Easton BAR but moved to the VPA footers. They protect the shaft and aid in removal from targets.
As I was typing I’m wondering if your shop set the inserts too deep. That would put pressure on the end of the shafts when you tighten down the point. Just a thought.

Been shooting FMJ arrows for years now and never had that happen. I was using the Easton BAR but moved to the VPA footers. They protect the shaft and aid in removal from targets.
As I was typing I’m wondering if your shop set the inserts too deep. That would put pressure on the end of the shafts when you tighten down the point. Just a thought.

The point needs to load on the front of the shaft, not the insert. For the strength of the connection it's only 1.5 times diameter, so don't need many threads in the insert.

I think it's more than likely the shaft wasn't squared, it point loaded on one side, mushroomed it, then that ripple walked around the shaft as the point load shifted around that front section.

Or, the little bevel/recess stone got used too much and they removed too much carbon from the inside, weakening the section of aluminum right at the point.

Reactions: ZDR

Elkhntr08

WKR
The point needs to load on the front of the shaft, not the insert. For the strength of the connection it's only 1.5 times diameter, so don't need many threads in the insert.

I think it's more than likely the shaft wasn't squared, it point loaded on one side, mushroomed it, then that ripple walked around the shaft as the point load shifted around that front section.
Makes more sense now that I think about it. Agree with the shafts not being square. Puts uneven force on one point of the shaft.

Should be a easy fix, unscrew heads and square the shafts.

Edit: This is why I build all my own arrows and do all my tuning.

Elkhuntr and Billy got it. Only thing I'd add is if you didn't properly square your shafts, depending on how you install your inserts, your inserts may not be square inside the shaft as well.

i.e. I square my shafts, and use my point screwed into an insert to set my insert.

Muddler

Lil-Rokslider
I never had that happen with my FMJ's but have seen several photos across the interwebs of it happening to different guys. Ended up switching to Black Eagle Spartans to try a stiffer arrow. So far so good.

I like Lancaster for arrows. You can buy 1 or as many as you want, they'll cut them to whatever length you want and send you the components. Then I square em up and assemble.