Full moon coyote calling

#1antler

Lil-Rokslider
Just spent two days calling and zero call response. Perfect weather conditions but we have a full moon. What are others success or lack of success during periods of full moon?

Chipz

FNG
Do it with snow on the ground so you can see better and bring a buddy. More often than not if we didnt see anything, they had circled behind us out of view and caught wind without us ever knowing they were there. This was confirmed via tracks and just listening to them.

OP

#1antler

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not asking about night calling with full moon just daytime calling during period of full moon. I have called these same area several times over many years with good success, but zero response this year. But it was during this full moon period.

IDMONK

FNG
I’ve wondered about this too. It seems they can hunt all night and not be as hungry during the day. Try coyote vocals maybe?

tuffcrk14

Lil-Rokslider
You will not have the same frustrations hunting during a full moon at night where you like to hunt (clear skies, a full moon, and at least a dusting of snow are a huge bonus) like you are experiencing during the day. I know with those conditions you could fairly easily take a 200-300 yard shot with no artificial light. Give it a try and see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SoDaky

WKR
Lot is area/time dependent.If early in season,close to regular hunting seasons,warm and generally 'living is easy' for them,hunting will be tough,particularly on full moon.The little traveling/hunting they do will be at night.

Lwilliams

Lil-Rokslider
Full moon, early season and lots of food around will always make for a harder hunt. Others have pretty much nailed it.

WCB

WKR
IMO it is more weather and food dependent than moon. where I hunt in MN and the Dakotas, cold, lots of snow = hungry coyotes all the time no matter moon phase and have normal calling success during the day.

C2hunting

FNG
I think WCB nailed it. We have more success after bad weather that has had them pinned down and not able to hunt. Hunting at night with a full moon makes it harder with lights, but I think wind and weather conditions are most important. They make a liar out of me every day though!

Reactions: WCB
You will not have the same frustrations hunting during a full moon at night where you like to hunt (clear skies, a full moon, and at least a dusting of snow are a huge bonus) like you are experiencing during the day. I know with those conditions you could fairly easily take a 200-300 yard shot with no artificial light. Give it a try and see what happens.

+1

tuffcrk14

Lil-Rokslider
I was able to go out night calling on a full moon last night with some light snow on the ground in an area I’ve never had much luck calling in the daytime. Low and behold, I brought this beautiful female in! I bungled the initial 75 yard opportunity she gave me by having to reposition myself, but I got a 200 yard shot on her when I gave a quick howl. I almost thought I didn’t hit her at all, but I’m glad I went to check it out. 204 Ruger loaded with 40 grain Bergers
aff5ae44b4e9b92886677b16dd86e172.jpg

I've hunted the north central area of Washington for years and have gotten to the point of avoiding the full moon phase for day time hunting, my theory is because their hunt success is up and their interest in prey distress is down, the majority of my success has always been on the darker moon phases.
Also what has happened in the Methow Valley the last few years is the coyotes are hardly vocal if not at all do to a huge increase of Wolfs in the area, they don't respond to howls which makes locating a lot tougher, and calling with vocalizations less affective.
Dave