Full Moon Feedign

Gulfgoose

FNG
Headed out in a few days for my first elk hunt and had some questions regarding the full moon (13th) and feeding patterns.
The weather right now is looking pretty cloudy so the moon may be a non issue. I'm a seasoned waterfowl and whitetail guy and know how a big moon can change their feed times. Feed all night, and again usually mid day. I was wondering if elk will do the same thing? Bed before the sun comes up, then get hungry again around mid day and grab a snack before bedding until dark again.

My 2 cents. Elk will regularly get up mid day to stretch. If they’ve been bedded in the open catching some sun on a really cold day they may move into the timber at that point. If it’s warm out they may slide around the corner to a shadier spot as the sun moves and gets more direct. Along the way the may munch a little. But I wouldn’t call it mid day feeding and it’s not their main reason for moving a little. If there is any pressure where you hunt they are even more likely to stay put in their beds where they feel safe for the day.

wihunter1

FNG
Like above stated, by this time in the season they are mostly concerned about survival and finding low pressure pockets. I'd still count on glassing early morning and stalk mid day.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

OP
G

Gulfgoose

FNG
Like above stated, by this time in the season they are mostly concerned about survival and finding low pressure pockets. I'd still count on glassing early morning and stalk mid day.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That's pretty much my plan as of now. Just didn't want to potentially miss out on some movement mid day when the thermals are more favorable.

My 2 cents. Elk will regularly get up mid day to stretch. If they’ve been bedded in the open catching some sun on a really cold day they may move into the timber at that point. If it’s warm out they may slide around the corner to a shadier spot as the sun moves and gets more direct. Along the way the may munch a little. But I wouldn’t call it mid day feeding and it’s not their main reason for moving a little. If there is any pressure where you hunt they are even more likely to stay put in their beds where they feel safe for the day.

This pretty much sums it up. Warm weather, full moon I have seen bulls go to water mid day. Cooler, wetter weather, not so much.

muddydogs

WKR
I found on my Sept full moon hunt that the elk were heading to bed about 2 hours after sun rise and coming out of there bedding areas about 2 hours before sun set.

I'm a new hunter, so obviously take what I say with a huge grain of salt, but I was skeptical when I started looking into elk and heard people talk about the full moon changing their behavior. I had (and have) a lot to learn though, so I looked into it. I've yet to find a study that shows any difference in their feeding patterns during full moon phases. Like I said though, I'm new at this. Not trying to ruffle any feathers. I'm totally open to having my mind changed if someone can show me anything pointing the opposite direction other than anecdotal evidence.