Full vs Regular Cushion DT socks

cmat1120

FNG
I know the "Which Sock?" topic has gone around here more than once. I'm not going that broad here though. I've settled on darn tough socks for sure and I have my choices narrowed down to basically just full cushion or regular cushion. I have one pair of the paul bunyan socks for real cold, and right now I have one each of the tactical boot full cushion and the hunter boot regular cushion. I can't really decide which one I like more though and due to a sprained foot I can't do a whole lot of testing right now. Therefore I'm turning to asking others for any advice they have specifically on full cushion vs regular cushion. I don't really do any stand hunting so moving around a lot is a large factor. Main things I'm curious about is under heavy loads does one work better than the other(sliding around or bunching), is there a really huge difference in warmth between the two and do the full cushions add a significant amount of comfort if you already have good boots(I'm running lowa camino gtx uninsulated full leather).

Thanks!

I have both of those you listed. I can tell almost no difference when I have them on with my boots. I love them both. Zero complaints. I don’t notice that one is any hotter than the other.

OP
C

cmat1120

FNG
I have both of those you listed. I can tell almost no difference when I have them on with my boots. I love them both. Zero complaints. I don’t notice that one is any hotter than the other.
Really? That's interesting feedback. Just throwing my boots on and walking around the house the full cushions definitely feel like they fill up the boots more leaving less wiggle room for my toes(not necessarily in a bad way, just noticeable). I realize that's not a very good test of how they feel when actually in use though. By the time I tighten my laces the first time on an actual movement they might be more similar.

LionHead

WKR
Same exact boat.

I've settle on T4021 cusion in XL as my 90% sock. I use them in my salomons for Patrol and my Crispi Idaho's in the mountains.

I just switched to DT and crispi this year. On a 7day archey hunt I alternated the 4021s and 4022 full cushion. Heat wise I felt no difference. But the full cushion kept my toes from moving freely I didn't like it too much, it was same story in my patrol boots.

Gonna send the 22's back for some more 21's

I use the extra cushion in XXL for sleep socks or stalking over socks but when it snowed on us unexpectedly during rifle I had the XXL extra cushions on and they didn't feel too cramped. I'm not sure how that makes sense but it worked

Hope that helps

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Last edited: