Full zip Peloton 240 vs strongfleece 280

FredBear86

Lil-Rokslider
Between the 2 which would you pick for a more mild weather outer layer jacket? Would definitely be more interested in wind cutting abilities than water resisting abilities. Which is warmer, quieter, fits better as an outer layer? Would at most layer a kenai under it so should I go up a size? I'm 5'10 150lbs, what size? Also want the hoodie version if that matters. What's the comparison like between these 2?

Not exactly what you are looking for, but i have the peloton 240 full zip and the strongfleece 260 hoodie. I like both pieces.

warmth strongfleece > peloton
Wind resistance peloton >= strongfleece
Quietness peloton > strongfleece
Durability as outer strongfleece > peloton

Having said that, i have had no durability issues with either, strngfleeze just feels more robust and less likely to develop pulls or picks in brush. Wind resistance is limited on the back of the strongfleece by design. Addition of hoodie was not factored into any of this.

fitment is different. I find the sleeves of the peloton to be tight fitting (not too tight) but very difficult to layer much more than a base under. Stongfleece is similar but with a little more room. Either would he tough to fit a kenai or orher “real” insulation layer under without sizing up. I have been comfortable in mild wind into the high 50’s in both, thoigh would probably want another layer in low 50’s and below. I have worn both under a jetstream jacket into the 40’s with no problem.

snel6424

FNG
I find the sleeves of the peloton to be tight fitting (not too tight) but very difficult to layer much more than a base under. Stongfleece is similar but with a little more room. Either would he tough to fit a kenai or other “real” insulation layer under without sizing up.
How do you think the 260 would fair as a mid-layer piece, under neath the Kenai Jacket?

tpicou

Lil-Rokslider
How do you think the 260 would fair as a mid-layer piece, under neath the Kenai Jacket?
I can fit a medium 280 under a medium kenai easily but the 280 arms are a bit too tight to do it the other way around comfortably. It’s a pretty warm combo.

Edit: I know you asked about the 260 but I imagine the 280 isn’t that much thicker.

OP
F

FredBear86

Lil-Rokslider
I can fit a medium 280 under a medium kenai easily but the 280 arms are a bit too tight to do it the other way around comfortably. It’s a pretty warm combo.

Edit: I know you asked about the 260 but I imagine the 280 isn’t that much thicker.
I'm 5 10 150. Was thinking a medium kenai and large strongfleece or peloton. Whatcha think?

agree with the above. You could do a strongfleece as the mid layer and kenai as the outer, but not the other way around.

with that combo, and i know nothing about the kenai, you will be quite warm given no precip.

Mudd Foot

WKR
The Peloton 240 is my personal favorite for mid-Sept Colorado at 10,000+ ft. elk hunting. The wind resistance early morning is great as I personally prefer this feature to a heavier weight that doesn’t cut the wind. Starting to sweat walking in, without a wind resistant layer requires more calories, and i find it uncomfortable. Retired a Klamath for this reason.

That said I normally wear XL and some brand’s large, but had to size up to XXL in the 240 as it is form fitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
F

FredBear86

Lil-Rokslider
Still trying to decide which of these would make the better outer layer. I'd say I'm less worried about wind blocking and water resistant, and more worried about quiet and durable. Also keeping in mind which one might fit a lil loser to put a layer or 2 underneath. Gonna size up a size to do this.

TBHasler

WKR
I find the peloton 240 fits a bit looser all around vs the strongfleece (280). I would layer strongfleece under the peloton but not the other way around
Both are pretty quiet equallly

240 is the ticket for what you're looking for. Throw the Kenai over it as needed and run a good baselayer. If it's warm or you're doing a ton of elevation gain use a lightweight base and if it's cold and/or you're going to be doing a lot of glassing go with a heavier baselayer.

j33

WKR
Still trying to decide which of these would make the better outer layer. I'd say I'm less worried about wind blocking and water resistant, and more worried about quiet and durable. Also keeping in mind which one might fit a lil loser to put a layer or 2 underneath. Gonna size up a size to do this.

240 is not durable at all, strongfleece wins there. My strongfleece 210 has very tight arms, great for the bow but not for layering

Last edited:

STL

FNG
My 240 is surprisingly not quiet. I’d say it’s comparable to my FL uncompahgre. It’s brand new though. I haven’t used it in the field yet, but maybe it quiets down after some use and washes. My 260 is basically silent and is quite durable for a fleece.

Skybuster

FNG
Good thing I found this, I have a question about this two as well.

Looking to replace my Patagonia R1

But want it to have a hood and wind protection.

The main purpose is to be used inside and around the house over a T-shirt.

Cant find pics of the Strongfleece 280 underarms and back as it says there is a different material used there - ( breathable fleece on underarms and back where your pack rests.)

Are the hand pocket the same?
the 240 mention mesh, are the pocket in the 280 full fleece?

The 280 seems to have a better main zipper.
are the pocket zipper the same between the two?

There is more mention that the 240 is better at wind.
the 240 says: Toray wind resistant fleece.
280: Toray hard faced Karuishi Fleece for durability and wind resistance.

What do you guys say is the wind limit on the Karuishi version?

Thanks.

matthewmt

WKR
Old thread but looking at trying one of the two mentioned here.
I wore lrg in FL tops and curious as to sz on either of these. I'd hate to run a XXL and be swimming in it or having a bigger bulky fleece to pack around.
Most of my hunts are mountain hunts in northwest MT.
The 240 says it's highly breathable which sounds nice for moving but if the strongfleece works in regards to the ventilation and reduced insulation on areas I'd be open to it as well.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

The Peleton 240 IMO is the best price of layered clothing Kuiu makes. For as lightweight as it is, it punches way above its weight. This was my outer layer for 10 days hunting Alaskan moose the first of Oct. I had a light base later then a heavier mid layer than the 240 as my outer layer. Would throw the Chugach over the top if rain was coming. I never once got out my super down ultra jacket. The 240 is my favorite. You can’t go wrong. I am 5’10” 160lbs. I bought a large, but I like the added room. It doesn’t grossly fit big but it’s not form fitting like you may want if bow hunting. I bought mine when it first came out so not sure if the fit is a little different now.

As for the strong fleece, to me, it’s to heavy as a lawyering piece on a backpacking hunt.

matthewmt

WKR
The Peleton 240 IMO is the best price of layered clothing Kuiu makes. For as lightweight as it is, it punches way above its weight. This was my outer layer for 10 days hunting Alaskan moose the first of Oct. I had a light base later then a heavier mid layer than the 240 as my outer layer. Would throw the Chugach over the top if rain was coming. I never once got out my super down ultra jacket. The 240 is my favorite. You can’t go wrong. I am 5’10” 160lbs. I bought a large, but I like the added room. It doesn’t grossly fit big but it’s not form fitting like you may want if bow hunting. I bought mine when it first came out so not sure if the fit is a little different now.

As for the strong fleece, to me, it’s to heavy as a lawyering piece on a backpacking hunt.
I broke down and ordered the 280, will see how it is when it gets here, not much feedback for either of the 2 tops discussed here really.
I don't typically run so many layers.
Eventually run a fleece top maybe a vest and a puffy when stopped if the Temps are low enough.
Curious if the 280 could fill the roll of a puffy while being more durable busting brush etc.
Sizing seems to be all over the board when it comes to these.

TSAMP

WKR
I ordered both since I also couldn't decide. I'll update here as well with my thoughts.

jtivat

Lil-Rokslider

How is the Strongfleece to heavy the 280 is only 1oz more than the 240?

jtivat

Lil-Rokslider
I broke down and ordered the 280, will see how it is when it gets here, not much feedback for either of the 2 tops discussed here really.
I don't typically run so many layers.
Eventually run a fleece top maybe a vest and a puffy when stopped if the Temps are low enough.
Curious if the 280 could fill the roll of a puffy while being more durable busting brush etc.
Sizing seems to be all over the board when it comes to these.

The 280 is not near as warm as a good Puffy.