Full zip Peloton 240 vs strongfleece 280

How is the Strongfleece to heavy the 280 is only 1oz more than the 240?
Sorry, not in the weight sense but in regards to layering. Seemed too thick, dense, overly warm. Not really sure what the right description is. I tried them both on at DSC and quickly realized for me the 240 was a better layering piece than the strong fleece. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

wnelson14

WKR
I broke down and ordered the 280, will see how it is when it gets here, not much feedback for either of the 2 tops discussed here really.
I don't typically run so many layers.
Eventually run a fleece top maybe a vest and a puffy when stopped if the Temps are low enough.
Curious if the 280 could fill the roll of a puffy while being more durable busting brush etc.
Sizing seems to be all over the board when it comes to these.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
280 is like a heavy sweatshirt, 240 is like a lightweight softshellish jacket. That’s the exact words customer service told me about a year ago. I have the 260 which is almost to heavy for what I like, but I would rather carry two lightweight layers and mix and match with base and puffy then carry a 280.

68Plexi

WKR
I haven’t tried the 240 jacket, but I do have a 280. I use it as an outer layer over a base layer and a 240 vest. Good for a wide range of temps. Throw on a puffy to glass and it works for me. Basically replaced the Guide soft shell jacket in my system.

I will say the 280 does block wind pretty well, except I can feel it in the thinner material on the under side of the arms.

They may describe it as a heavy sweatshirt, which I guess it kind of is in shape, but it’s doesn’t weigh anywhere close to what a normal cotton sweatshirt weighs. It’s also a pretty good active layer IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jbxl20

WKR
I wear the 240 and 260.
260 warmer sweatshirt, more athletic cut
240 more of a soft shell jacket and excellent at blocking wind. Works nicely over the 260 for layering.

Always have a 240 hooded jacket along on all my hunts, spring bear, fall hunts for everything. Haven’t used it the past week elk hunting in SE BC tho….temps are still too warm. I consider them very quiet with a bit of use. Also aren’t reflective and certainly cut the wind for what they are. Usually wear them over a zip neck poly merino long sleeve tee and a Cabelas microtex shirt. Add rain gear or puffy over the 240 as req’d.

I haven’t worn my first one out yet although it has snags and pills but nothing that keeps it from functional use. Believe I bought it in 2017. Did buy one more for a different Camo pattern and the newer one is tighter in the sleeves. Couldn’t imagine layering a 240 over a Kenai or any other puffy.

Always have a 240 hooded jacket along on all my hunts, spring bear, fall hunts for everything. Haven’t used it the past week elk hunting in SE BC tho….temps are still too warm. I consider them very quiet with a bit of use. Also aren’t reflective and certainly cut the wind for what they are. Usually wear them over a zip neck poly merino long sleeve tee and a Cabelas microtex shirt. Add rain gear or puffy over the 240 as req’d.

I haven’t worn my first one out yet although it has snags and pills but nothing that keeps it from functional use. Believe I bought it in 2017. Did buy one more for a different Camo pattern and the newer one is tighter in the sleeves. Couldn’t imagine layering a 240 over a Kenai or any other puffy.
Have worn my Peloton 240 over my Ultra Down many times glassing.

Have worn my Peloton 240 over my Ultra Down many times glassing.
Sizing. 240 is snug for me, great as light top layer or cold weather mid. But would have to upsize to consider it a cold weather top layer. Sleeves would be dang tight as a top layer too squeezing the down in my Super Down puffy.

matthewmt

WKR
I think I'm going to send my 280 strongfleece back. It does seem like the odd piece out in my system.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

TSAMP

WKR
So the 240 is likely going back for me. I wanted a hoody mid layer and the 280 seems to fit that bill. The 240 forearms are ridiculously tight. Barely get over my watch. The rest is a little baggy in my opinion and the noise is excessive. It feels like cheap plastic. Seems like a poor soft shell. I am sure that's for the wind resistance but I'd rather use a vest for that purpose.

ryno1

FNG
If I can jump in here, I'd like some opinions...

I'm getting back into hunting after 20 years, and my first elk hunt is coming up (CO at the end of October). I plan on more western and Alaska hunts in the future.
I called Kuiu, and they suggested a base layer plus Strongfleece 260...and add a Kenai when I got cold. I bought a Sitka Kelvin WS Hoody (very warm) to go over everything if needed for glassing.

Do you think the Kenai will hold up as an outer layer in CO and/or Alaska? I'm not very familiar with the terrain. I was thinking the Guide DCS, but it appears to be heavy (softshell).

Would you recommend the 240 over the 260?

I do not like the Guide DCS jacket as a layering piece for a backpack high mobility back country hunts. It’s too heavy/bulky. I love the jacket, probably one of my favorites, but I have been to Alaska several times and it has stayed home every time.

I don’t think the Kenai will withstand the alder forests of Alaska. If you are above all of that it should be fine. They claim it’s an ”active” insulating layer, more so than their super down ultra which is more of a “static” insulating layer. The Kenai does have a more durable outer shell than their down pieces. I never hike in heavy insulating layers so my down jacket and pants have been perfect and worn when glassing only. Plus the down packs smaller. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
In reference to the Ringworm's post above: I wet out the inside of my Superdown Ultra hooded jacket (original version) if I do anything where I sweat. Tried it cross country skiing on a very cold day. shoveling snow on a very cold day and even plowing snow with the quad....and it ended up wet inside. I wouldn't hike very far in it either. That said it combined with the super down zip off puffy pants are the ultimate warm pieces for glassing, wearing around cold camps and to augment the sleeping bag rating on cold nights.

ryno1

FNG
I do not like the Guide DCS jacket as a layering piece for a backpack high mobility back country hunts. It’s too heavy/bulky. I love the jacket, probably one of my favorites, but I have been to Alaska several times and it has stayed home every time.

I don’t think the Kenai will withstand the alder forests of Alaska. If you are above all of that it should be fine. They claim it’s an ”active” insulating layer, more so than their super down ultra which is more of a “static” insulating layer. The Kenai does have a more durable outer shell than their down pieces. I never hike in heavy insulating layers so my down jacket and pants have been perfect and worn when glassing only. Plus the down packs smaller. Just my opinion.
Thanks...looks like the Kenai and Guide are off the list.

chindits

WKR
A little late to the party but I have owned a 240 for many years and I have no understanding why people are blessing it’s virtues in the wind. Many a windy day in CO I have suffered until I actually dragged out my rain jacket. I consider it no more than a zip up hunting shirt that goes over my base layer. It’s insulation qualities, wind resistance and water resistance are all minimal like a shirt not a jacket. It is plenty quiet and is fine for hiking but you better have other layers handy if your hunting around sunrise/set at my elevation. I’m still searching for a fleece that actually is wind resistant and doesn’t weigh a lot or have a noisy soft shell.

A little late to the party but I have owned a 240 for many years and I have no understanding why people are blessing it’s virtues in the wind. Many a windy day in CO I have suffered until I actually dragged out my rain jacket. I consider it no more than a zip up hunting shirt that goes over my base layer. It’s insulation qualities, wind resistance and water resistance are all minimal like a shirt not a jacket. It is plenty quiet and is fine for hiking but you better have other layers handy if your hunting around sunrise/set at my elevation. I’m still searching for a fleece that actually is wind resistant and doesn’t weigh a lot or have a noisy soft shell.

you need to check out the sitka ambient line my friend. It will check a lot of the boxes.