Fully Bedded Barrel Channel

USMC-40

WKR
With the success of Melvin Forbes (NULA), and also the Barrett Fieldcraft - why isn’t this more popular? I can speak to a small sample size of both makers, and every single one I’ve either shot or seen shot is a laser.

vonb

Lil-Rokslider
I think this is why the B&C Ti stocks aren’t floated I believe. I’ve always heard thin barrels do well fully bedded.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
With the success of Melvin Forbes (NULA), and also the Barrett Fieldcraft - why isn’t this more popular? I can speak to a small sample size of both makers, and every single one I’ve either shot or seen shot is a laser.

Fully neutral bedded barrels do tend to shoot well not only with some ammo, but with most ammo; and also most ammo to similar points of impact.
The issue is in point of impact shifts on varying rests. Most stocks are not stable enough to allow a static zero and POI when torque is applied. ULA/NULA stocks are very stiff and resist movement enough to be viable, the Fieldcraft stocks were good, but still could see some POI shifts with torque.

BjornF16

WKR
Fully neutral bedded barrels do tend to shoot well not only with some ammo, but with most ammo; and also most ammo to similar points of impact.
The issue is in point of impact shifts on varying rests. Most stocks are not stable enough to allow a static zero and POI when torque is applied. ULA/NULA stocks are very stiff and resist movement enough to be viable, the Fieldcraft stocks were good, but still could see some POI shifts with torque.
What about the Axial Precision (Allterra Arms) carbon stocks?...are they stiff enough?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
What about the Axial Precision (Allterra Arms) carbon stocks?...are they stiff enough?

With the amount of bedding you’d have to use for the barrel channel- yes. If you weren’t using a LW barrel, then there really isn’t a benefit. And truly even with LW barrels, free float just eliminates enough variables that I can’t see a reason to seek out a full bedding.

BjornF16

WKR
With the amount of bedding you’d have to use for the barrel channel- yes. If you weren’t using a LW barrel, then there really isn’t a benefit. And truly even with LW barrels, free float just eliminates enough variables that I can’t see a reason to seek out a full bedding.
Standard profile Tikka Lite barrel

p3t3rsn

FNG
Curious Form, could you speak to this with walnut stocks?

For example, legendary stockmaker Jerry Fisher inlets his kiln then aged dried walnut stocks fully neutral without bedding material and without any gap between wood and metal. Would the walnut be stiff enough to resist varying torque from different rests?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Curious Form, could you speak to this with walnut stocks?

For example, legendary stockmaker Jerry Fisher inlets his kiln then aged dried walnut stocks fully neutral without bedding material and without any gap between wood and metal. Would the walnut be stiff enough to resist varying torque from different rests?

Potentially yes, except for bipod use and the like. You’d still have some shift with rests, and weather warping would be there too. That may not matter if someone isn’t worried about relatively small POI changes, say 1 moa or so for weather warping.

Last edited:

p3t3rsn

FNG
Potentially yes, except for bipod use and the like. You’d still have some shift with rests, abs weather warming would be there too. That may not matter if someone isn’t worried about relatively small POI changes, say 1 moa or so for weather warping.
Thank you sir!

I was considering doing this for awhile with my Tikka, but the barrel was fluted and didn't want to end up just having to remove the bedding.

I think you'd have to forget about using a bipod and a shooting sling.

I still want to try it at some point