Fully Serrated Kife...?

crich

WKR
Anyone camp/hunt with a fully serrated knife? Been looking hard at cutco lately based off the many great reports. Looking to add another knife for processing game in the field; elk caribou bear etc. Thinking that I might try something new..

sanders

FNG
I use a fully serrated Cutco and love it. There are a few of us in my family and I have never heard a complaint about them. I will send it to Cutco every few years to have it sharpened and it seem to last forever. I have always found it kind of funny that there are not more people using them.

I have a Cutco. I love it. It’s super light and sharp sharp. I have skinned many deer and a few pigs with it. Still sharp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EastMT

WKR
Serrated knives don’t really have an advantage unless you are sawing on something. If you are not great at sharpening a knife in the field, they could be useful. A good curved smooth blade is my preference

If you are good a sharpening, then it’s not necessary. People are shocked when they use my non-serrated steak knives and they slice like butter, no sawing.

slowelk

WKR
The Cutco double D edge is in my pack always, and is my primary knife for breaking down game. The point of the serration is to protect the sharpest part of the blade from hitting bone and other non-meat obstructions. The Cutco saw me through 2.5 elk and two deer without being sharpened. It was ready for sharpening by the last deer, I'll admit, but it still did the job.

Cutco + Havalon make a great knife system for backpack hunting.

VernAK

WKR
We take the large Cutco serrated to Geezer Ridge every year for one purpose........to cut the moose hide from antlers to ass......one long cut through thick hide/hair/mud. Send it in every two years to get touched up.

slingerHB

Lil-Rokslider
I have cutco out my back door, as well as friends and family who work there. Very convenient for getting anything fixed or sharpened. I prefer to take the folding pocket knife with the double d edge vs the fixed rubber handled knife. Still carry a outdoor edge a lot as well

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

IdahoElk

WKR
Serrated knives don’t really have an advantage unless you are sawing on something. If you are not great at sharpening a knife in the field, they could be useful. A good curved smooth blade is my preference

If you are good a sharpening, then it’s not necessary. People are shocked when they use my non-serrated steak knives and they slice like butter, no sawing.

Have you ever used Cutco? I make knives and the Cutco stays in my pack no mater what.

EastMT

WKR
Have you ever used Cutco? I make knives and the Cutco stays in my pack no mater what.

Yes, we tested about every knife brand and model in the 50 years of family meat business. To a person, we all use Vicki’s of personal preference. With one knife an entire wild game carcass can be separated with a knife and no sawing, including whole bone in ribs removed by hitting the cartilage points, splitting the pelvis, head removal, etc. A light stropping on 1000 grit paper glued flat to a paint mixing stick for lightweight or a fine steel if weight isn’t important is all you need.

I make knives as well for fun, carry them as well but they just don’t work like a purpose built knife. I usually build drop point flat grind knives.

Cutco knives are ok, but the thick hollow grind of most of them is not conducive to efficient butchering. A smooth flat grind is ideal for meat cutting with least amount of effort.

slowelk

WKR
@coop22250 sounds like you cut some meat, but people love Cutco for a reason. No sharpening throughout a meaty season is mine. I haven’t had another knife perform like it.

I used spyderco folders for years but could never get the hang of sharpening them. I always sent them back to spyderco, which was great but wouldn’t work for hard use.

I had a cutco knife years ago and it was awesome But the same issue with resharpening. These days, I use a Lansbury or work sharp and I can keep my straight edge knives shaving ready myself.

EastMT

WKR
@coop22250 sounds like you cut some meat, but people love Cutco for a reason. No sharpening throughout a meaty season is mine. I haven’t had another knife perform like it.

Yes, as I mentioned in the first post, if sharpening a knife is an issue for you, then serrated does work. Cutco is like the willies Jeep of knifes. Tough, rough, and gets the job done. But most people’s idea of sharp and mine are 2 different things. I have a line of buddies that make me sharpen knives for them. When I cut meat, I expect a knife to go through like butter. The more pressure and action needed, the more chances of a serious injury.

I sense a disproportionate amount of Cutco Salesmen in this thread. Wow. If they are to be believed, then you never have to sharpen a Cutco knife and they stay sharp forever. Dang... didn't know steel could stay sharp forever.

My experience with knives are different. They get dull. They need sharpening. I am with @coop22250 on this one and would base my decision making on his advice: Stay away from serrated knives in the field.

Me, I am a fan of D2 steel and how it holds an edge well, but know that it will need sharpening if I am processing an Elk or more than one deer at a time. No big deal, just sharpen with a stone and continue. Some friends like the Havilon knives, but I was never into those.

That fully serrated cutco knife is amazing for skinning and butchering animals, but yes it does have to be sharpened eventually. About 10 years ago my mom bought one and gave it to me for Christmas. I laughed at it at first, until I used it. We skinned and quartered an elk and 3 deer before needing to sharpen it. You can send them in to get sharpened or do it yourself with the proper sharpening tool. I have a Lansky that works well for serrations. The people trashing the fully serrated cutco haven't used one.

Wild_Musk

FNG
I'm actually a little surprised at how many Cutco fans on Rokslide also. I make knives regularly and have used Cutco. I do not think they would fare as well in any performance competition, but if they work for you, that is hard to argue. Nothing wrong with stuff that works!

Challis

FNG
I think you will find initial satisfaction in the Cutco blade but you will most likely regret the choice once it starts to become dull. You can always send it in the Cutco for sharpening but they are difficult to sharpen yourself.

OP
crich

crich

WKR
I collect knives, I have literally boxes and boxes of them. Why? It’s what I make my living with so I collect every kind, shape, design.

Sounds like you have the ability to sharpen well past what the average joe is capable of. I can get a good edge but mostly use a wicked edge sharpening system.

Seems the general consensus is that the cutcos are adequate for a few animals. Id hate to have one dull in the field and not be able to touch it up.

I like VernAK's idea of using one just for dirty hide work but there are a ton of options for that.