Functional archery hunting rangefinder

Looking for my son, he is almost exclusively a bow hunter. I currrntly have a Leica but we have several new set ups this year and I don’t really want to bow hunt without it myself, so told my son he might need one for himself this year. Not looking for something that would range a mile plus, only be functional for archery hunting. Quiet, ease of use/stowage, accurate, good reticle....

was looking at the bushnell line prime 1300 or even the bone collector model. But those have black reticles from what I can see. Wondering if that’s a concern for lower light and might not be able to read yardage. Though I told him he probably isn’t shooting if it’s that dark anyway...
Then today saw a bow mount rangefinder from Leupold on campfire...anyone with experience with that?

what range finder are you guys using for bow hunting?

4rcgoat

WKR
Getting ready to retire my old bushnell 850 arc with a vortex ranger 1800,illuminated reticle in red. Not sure if that helps any. Got it at a good price on Amazon. We shall see.....

I started with A vortex ranger 1000, the first gen model, it worked fine and then started having some issues. TheY replaced it and their CS was top notch. However, I decided to upgrade to sig kilo. It is fantastic. Super fast too which was an issue with the vortex.

Currently using a vortex ranger 1800. So far so good.

Had a good experience with Nikon. A young Archer is still using it, I just figured it was on its way out and replaced it.

Had a not positive experience with Leupold.

Edited to change what I had, thought it was a 1500 but it's an 1800.

Last edited:

Sobrbiker

WKR
I think illum reticle is a must, that said I had an off brand Amazon for a minute that I picked up from a guy at the range for cheap, and I ranged great. Point is-the technology is such that almost all RF’s will do their job, selection is dependent on features.
That said, I run a Sig 1600 (non bdx)-checks the boxes for me.

I've been running a Nikon for years and it has been very dependable. Only issue I find is when fog sets in it's hard to get a reading and sometimes heavy snow but I'd assume most would have that issue.

NMframed

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought a vortex ranger 1800 a few weeks ago and really like it. I looked at the Sig 2000 but wanted something with and illuminated red reticle. Also looked at the Nikon monarch but it only had a 5 year limited warranty and that made it easy to spend another $50 on the Vortex with the lifetime warranty

Rob5589

WKR
My Vortex Ranger 1000 has been perfect for several years now. I believe it has been replaced by a newer unot, however. I read lots of good about the Sig line. I had a Nikon for a year or two. It was junk in anything but full sunlight. It is in my golf bag now.

Nillion

Lil-Rokslider
I find an illuminated reticle invaluable, so that eliminated most cheap options but one: Sig Kilo 1600. I got mine for just a little over $200. 5 year warranty on it also, so I’m not too concerned about durability.

I have had black reticles and red ones. A black reticle never prevented me from shooting at last light but it certainly is nice.

I have friends that use the cheap halo ones and for whitetail they work well enough.

Only reason I have more than a cheap one is for spot and stalk hunts with longer ranges.

My Nikon 3000 stabilized is new this year to replace a Nikon monarch that I had used the previous 7 years with zero issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just retired my bushnell legend arc 1200. Picked up a vortex ranger 1300 for $100 and couldn’t pass it up. The bushnell was over 12 years old and had become sporadic, but I used it that way for the last year. I only ranger shooting lanes. I don’t stop to range each animal.

the vortex is awesome. The red reticle is a really nice feature I never want to be without again. The vortex is amazingly fast as well. But this was a decade jump in technology.

caesAR15

Lil-Rokslider
x2 on the Sig Kilo 1600. Red reticle and all the features I'll need, including ballistic solutions for my rifle in the RF viewfinder (I've got the BDX model). Would recommend.

nastynick

FNG
Another vote for Sig Kilo. I also had great customer service with them. Dropped it in a creek. Obviously my fault. Called them up and they sent me a brand new one. They didn’t have to do that since it was my fault entirely. But they did.

Zac

WKR
I would just stay away from the halo reticles, I've had some nightmare ranging situations with those.