Furlough Food

Eagle

WKR
Buff, I'm one of the government workers you seem to hate. I make sure the helicopters that transport our troops and fight for our army are structurally sound and safe for flight. You can say what you want, but some of us do what we do for the troops and take pride in our work. Are there too many gov. employees, no doubt about that, but we aren't all sucking off the government tit. I busted my arse for four years in college to earn the position I currently have, and I know what hard work is. Keep some perspective when you call out a huge chunk of people

loner

FNG
Buff, I'm one of the government workers you seem to hate. I make sure the helicopters that transport our troops and fight for our army are structurally sound and safe for flight. You can say what you want, but some of us do what we do for the troops and take pride in our work. Are there too many gov. employees, no doubt about that, but we aren't all sucking off the government tit. I busted my arse for four years in college to earn the position I currently have, and I know what hard work is. Keep some perspective when you call out a huge chunk of people

So eagle your not in the military? If so that seems funny to me because my Grandfather was a aviation mechanic in the military and he learned a trade that set him up for a career. Not the other way around.
Strange times we live in???

chorpie

FNG
So eagle your not in the military? If so that seems funny to me because my Grandfather was a aviation mechanic in the military and he learned a trade that set him up for a career. Not the other way around.
Strange times we live in???

Not necessarily strange times, just different times than we used to have. As society itself becomes more and more dependent on technology, you're going to see jobs shift that way and for all intents and purposes the trades will fall by the wayside. Eventually there will be enough of a deficiency in the trades and enough demand for that kind of skilled worker and you'll see the workforce shift back.

My dad joined the military because he had no place to go, day to day jobs, and his parents bailed on him. No money to pay for school. You don't have that today: people have more choices.

I don't blame the furloughed government workers for anything - they're just a casualty of rich politicians on both sides becoming more and more extreme to their own ends to be able to actually compromise on anything. Hate all you want, but all of the furloughed people are just like you and me, working to provide for their families, feed their kids, pay the mortgage, buy gas to be able to go to work. Maybe when they're working they have better insurance, better pay, whatever... but then maybe you chose the wrong line of work?

Eagle

WKR
Not necessarily strange times, just different times than we used to have. As society itself becomes more and more dependent on technology, you're going to see jobs shift that way and for all intents and purposes the trades will fall by the wayside. Eventually there will be enough of a deficiency in the trades and enough demand for that kind of skilled worker and you'll see the workforce shift back.

My dad joined the military because he had no place to go, day to day jobs, and his parents bailed on him. No money to pay for school. You don't have that today: people have more choices.

I don't blame the furloughed government workers for anything - they're just a casualty of rich politicians on both sides becoming more and more extreme to their own ends to be able to actually compromise on anything. Hate all you want, but all of the furloughed people are just like you and me, working to provide for their families, feed their kids, pay the mortgage, buy gas to be able to go to work. Maybe when they're working they have better insurance, better pay, whatever... but then maybe you chose the wrong line of work?

Well said chorpie.

loner - No, I'm not military. I'm an aerospace engineer, and I help the mechanics figure out what to do when there's a structural or safety of flight issue, or I review their proposals to make sure they are structurally adequate and won't break and kill our troops in a crash. That's a small part of my job, we do several other things in an effort to cut costs to save the taxpayer as much money as possible, but it always takes tax dollars to fund those projects, and right now, they aren't happening.

littlebuf

Banned
To clarify, I never said I hate any one. I make it a point not to let hate into my life as all it does is destroy ones soul. My beef is th the size of this government and how it's being built on the backs of the ones its designed to serve. In my opinion these furloughs should be larger and permanent, that's all. You won't change my mind

sk1

WKR
To clarify, I never said I hate any one. I make it a point not to let hate into my life as all it does is destroy ones soul. My beef is th the size of this government and how it's being built on the backs of the ones its designed to serve. In my opinion these furloughs should be larger and permanent, that's all. You won't change my mind

well thanks for telling me in not so many words you hope i lose my job and can't feed my kids.....government downsizing may be necessary, but certainly not just by shutting down everyone leaving 800,000 people with nothing, at the very least make the cuts only where they are necessary like any job in the private sector would. as an essential to the mission employee during these lovely furloughs, i still have to come to work and don't know if/when i will get paid....at least non-essential furlough workers can go do a part time job if they can find one in their time off. sucks either way.

platinum health care plan my ass, we use my wife's from the private sector....way better than what the federal government has to offer, and way cheaper. hate the government i agree, not the workers---if you decide to move to canada, shoot me a message ill help you pack

AZ Vince

WKR
well thanks for telling me in not so many words you hope i lose my job and can't feed my kids.....government downsizing may be necessary, but certainly not just by shutting down everyone leaving 800,000 people with nothing, at the very least make the cuts only where they are necessary like any job in the private sector would. as an essential to the mission employee during these lovely furloughs, i still have to come to work and don't know if/when i will get paid....at least non-essential furlough workers can go do a part time job if they can find one in their time off. sucks either way.

platinum health care plan my ass, we use my wife's from the private sector....way better than what the federal government has to offer, and way cheaper. hate the government i agree, not the workers---if you decide to move to canada, shoot me a message ill help you pack

I'll help too.

I've lost co-workers due to the government mantra, "Do more with less." It seems they cut the field staff and not the management weenies. When I say lost I don't mean they quit for greener pastures but rather to push up daisies. Yes, the government is too big and encompassing. I will agree with that but cutting with a machete isn't going to fix the issue. What's needed is surgical precision with a sharp scalpel.

Eagle

WKR
For the record, my division was only furloughed for one day thus far, last Friday. We were called back in Monday morning and like sk1 don't know when we will get paid for the work we are doing.

Eagle

WKR

You may not "hate" but with your comments, it's pretty apparent that you have a fervent "dislike". You can call a cow a horse, but at the end of the day, it's still a cow.

And like the others, I'll help you pack, GTHO.

You are a true D bag. I served 4 years in the military and that's the only reason I have my Federal Gov job. I currently ship ammo to all our military overseas that are protecting your freedoms. I work just as hard or probably harder then you and I don't have a fat wallet. I can't believe that someone would want someone else to loose their job? I also do not collect my awesome Health benefits and waive them because my wife's are much better from the private sector then I receive. What a freaking tool.

Oh and I hope the door flattens your ass on the way out.

littlebuf

Banned
Spoken like true jack booted government workers all. You true colors give you away quickly don't they. Bottom line, federal government never should have gotten this big to begin with and yes it will be painful to retain some sort of shadow of what this country used to be.

TEmbry

WKR
Spoken like true jack booted government workers all. You true colors give you away quickly don't they. Bottom line, federal government never should have gotten this big to begin with and yes it will be painful to retain some sort of shadow of what this country used to be.

Our government is bankrupted because of mandatory handouts... Not people collecting paychecks.

My true colors are Red, White and Blue. Sorry if I still want to continue serving my country and our military. As I said before your a TRUE D BAG. The problem with the Country right now has little to do with the people being furloughed.

"Guys like Me" wouldn't lower them selves to work for this government. Unemployment has been at an all time high for God knows how long. How many threads on here about donating meat for those folks. A whole 9 days off for less than 17% of " non essential " government workers and I should give a damn? Truth is the number of non essential government workers is closer to 90%

Alright, so I like data. And, I also don't really like ideologues that try and casually misuse it to make their arguments. I imagine you're just repeating a line you've been sold that 'unemployment has been at an all time high...'. Fortunately, unemployment hasn't been at an 'all time high' since the Great Depression. We'd be in even more dire straights if we had that kind of unemployment right now. Pretty straightforward on that one. You want to know the time we actually had the highest unemployment since the Great Depression? 1982. Reagan was president then. See http://research.stlouisfed.org/fredgraph.png?g=nfr if you want the data series.

Unemployment is currently horrible, few will argue with that. But get your facts straight. It's easier to convince people you are right when you are actually right.

P.S. If anyone is curious, the reason the unemployment series doesn't go back to the Great Depression is that they didn't start doing the survey for the collection of the data until 1948. Estimates put Depression era unemployment at somewhere around 25%!

Last edited:

AZ Vince

WKR
Just pointing out that since Reagan was President the data has been skewed and I'm skeptical of current unemployment numbers.

From what little I know it seems that folks that used to be counted as unemployed are no longer counted. Not because they found employment but because the qualifiers got changed to better fit the current administration's lies and falsehoods.

littlebuf

Banned
Let me see if I can walk you through it. In the real world when a company doesn't have the money to keep business as usual they often need to lay off employees, if you haven't been paying attention for the last six years there's Ben a lot of that going on. The fact that one would think thee above that standard is a true example of a sense of entitlement. Back to the example, real world company's when they get in trouble can't borrow more money from China or print more in the back room to keep the doors open, these are just facts of life when dealing with reality. Our government has been out of touch with reality for some time now. This small small dose of it may be a good, yet undoubtedly painful shot our country needs to open at least some eyes. I'm still waiting to hear why I should have more sympathy for workers that have been out of work for a whole ten days now than I should for those who have been out of a full time job for years?

littlebuf

Banned
Just pointing out that since Reagan was President the data has been skewed and I'm skeptical of current unemployment numbers.

From what little I know it seems that folks that used to be counted as unemployed are no longer counted. Not because they found employment but because the qualifiers got changed to better fit the current administration's lies and falsehoods.

Exactly, numbers are only as good as the counters. But keep drinking the cool aid boys and girls everything will be ok

The workers at the BLS (where the data are produced) are very much non-partisan, and vote Republican and Democrat. There ain't no funny business going on there that I can tell. If you have evidence to the contrary, please cite it. Though there have been slight changes in the survey since its inception, the fundamental way that unemployment is measured via the Current Population Survey has not changed substantially since 1948. So, if you are postulating that there is a 2-3 percentage point discrepancy in the current measurement numbers, I would indeed like to see the basis of that claim. I'm not one for giving much weight to theories about the manipulation of government statistics, as I know a number of the people working in those agencies, all of whom care most about empirical accuracy.

But, if you give me hard evidence to the contrary, I'm, unlike our friend littlebuf, always willing to change my mind...