Furlough Food

Doj4Whlr

Lil-Rokslider
A thought just came to me and I'm wondering if there is any support for the idea of donating meat to furloughed workers. I know many of you are much more successful at harvesting than I am :) and I know that some folks come up with excess each year. Until our government (I won't include my editorial) agrees on a way ahead, there are many folks that have suddenly been added to the rolls of the temporarily unemployed. A number of these folks live like many Americans, hand to mouth. I thought that if there was support from the local hunting community, I would try to determine the appetite (pun intended) for participation and coordinate distribution. Feedback, thoughts?

chorpie

FNG
While the motive behind the idea is sincere, in reality I think this would be a liability lawsuit waiting to happen.

boom

WKR
i've been furloughed now for about 3 years (gosh, maybe 4!). thank God i married a woman with a plan. despite her being laid off and going back to school. we have been doing A-OKAY!

i hunt less, and closer to home. and my car/track day are non-existent. she sat me down and had me take a long hard look at both of my hobbies..and said, "pick ONE"

i chose hunting and the outdoors.

i wish all the furloughed the best luck.

chorpie

FNG
Thanks for the feedback. I did not consider that possibility but I suppose in this day and age, you're probably right.

It's really sad to think, but everyone has become so sue-crazy that it's inevitable. No good deed goes unpunished... :(

Daniel_M

WKR
I'm on furlough and doin just fine. I was told last week via SatPhone I couldn't be on leave during a furlough. CLICK! Sorry boss, bad connection. Lol

u7edu6ez.jpg

Ray

WKR
I'm on furlough and doin just fine. I was told last week via SatPhone I couldn't be on leave during a furlough. CLICK! Sorry boss, bad connection. Lol

That's funny. My boss is on leave this next week. He won't be telling me anything.

I need to finish up some ATV repairs and see if I can get a black bear this next week. No sheep or bou this year, but have plenty of left overs and salmon.

sk1

WKR

u7edu6ez.jpg

we've got about 10 firefighters that had 2 to 3 weeks of leave scheduled for the rifle elk/deer hunt out here in utah, all leave cancelled for furlough.......i feel bad for those guys, if it was me i would be on suicide watch, thank god my archery hunt was august/september. i saw some of the guys that had already left for the hunt that managed to receive their cell messages saying if they don't show up next shift it's leave without pay, and they came into work hanging their heads. we work 48 hour shifts, and to miss an entire shift is a lot of money being that we work 144 hours every 2 weeks. so the first 64 hours you miss is all overtime pay.......

glad it didn't slow you down any, but it did for most of our hunters that i work with

edit: and we are not technically on furlough as essential personnel, so with the leave already projected and the proper amount of manning staffed, i dont see why they had to cancel. although we are required to be at work right now, we are not getting paid (until backpay comes) i feel like im in the military again.

AZ Vince

WKR
I told them I'm taking off for my deer hunt as nothing gets in the way of hunting for me.
I've also told them I will quit their stupid gooberment job if I get so lucky as to draw a once in a lifetime sheep tag.

littlebuf

Banned
You'll excuse me if I don't shed a tear for the government workers with the platinum health care plans, golden pensions , guaranteed pay checks ( including back pay for furlough) and forever jobs. Have a nice vacation boys...

TEmbry

WKR
You'll excuse me if I don't shed a tear for the government workers with the platinum health care plans, golden pensions , guaranteed pay checks ( including back pay for furlough) and forever jobs. Have a nice vacation boys...

Lol if only. A lot of people sacrifice a lot to work in a public service position. If it was such a great position to be in there would be more competition for them from the likes of guys like you... And TONS of the furloughed workers will NOT be getting back paid for their "vacation".

The only thing that irks me about the shutdown is how unemployment and welfare checks are still going out the door but pay checks are being withheld from those at least willing to work.

littlebuf

Banned
"Guys like Me" wouldn't lower them selves to work for this government. Unemployment has been at an all time high for God knows how long. How many threads on here about donating meat for those folks. A whole 9 days off for less than 17% of " non essential " government workers and I should give a damn? Truth is the number of non essential government workers is closer to 90%

TEmbry

WKR
"Guys like Me" wouldn't lower them selves to work for this government. Unemployment has been at an all time high for God knows how long. How many threads on here about donating meat for those folks. A whole 9 days off for less than 17% of " non essential " government workers and I should give a damn? Truth is the number of non essential government workers is closer to 90%

Fight the good fight brother. Workers not being paid for the work they do is fair because they work for the government and our government is evil. Thinking of moving to Canada on that note. We are in agreement on the number of govt employees needing to be trimmed, but not before government handouts are first IMO.

I'm not going to donate meat to any of these employees either, but it's bs to belittle people like janitors for our parks/ government hospitals because they work their instead of a private place. I cant imagine how tough it would be to support a family on that low of an income, Especially if it was suddenly stripped away for a few weeks...I'd rather support them for working before paying others to sit on their ass. But hey, that's just me.

Some people enjoy public service too. Ill be taking about a $30k/yr paycut working for Uncle Sam, but ill love what I'm doing.

littlebuf

Banned
Canada's actually not sounding bad. At least there I'd have nothing to bitch about since I knew what I was getting. Here my country is being stolen from me, my children's futures are being sold to China and im being taxed to fund monarchy being built using MY constitution for a floor mat. Plus I'm a huge hockey fan

TEmbry

WKR
Canada's actually not sounding bad. At least there I'd have nothing to bitch about since I knew what I was getting. Here my country is being stolen from me, my children's futures are being sold to China and im being taxed to fund monarchy being built using MY constitution for a floor mat. Plus I'm a huge hockey fan

The irony of this post is that America is heading in a Canadian direction right now for many of the reasons you dislike the USA.

Our views aren't so different, except in how extreme they are.

littlebuf

Banned
Not ironic, lime I said with Canada at least I'd know what I was getting and it would be my choice in stead of having my birthright stolen from me. In short I could live in Canada but would rather die than see my country turned into it, if that makes sense...