Fury 5000 HD AB or Geovid?

JGRaider

WKR
Wanting a bino/rf unit to primarily hunt open country mule deer and whitetail. My main criteria is accurate RF readings and holdover outputs. I realize Geovid 2700/3200 is far superior optically, but will a guy be happy enough with the adequate Fury glass? I understand RF capabilities and warranty/CS would likely favor Vortex. Just wondering if Geovid is $1000+ better. Thanks, I have zero experience with either.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Wanting a bino/rf unit to primarily hunt open country mule deer and whitetail. My main criteria is accurate RF readings and holdover outputs. I realize Geovid 2700/3200 is far superior optically, but will a guy be happy enough with the adequate Fury glass? I understand RF capabilities and warranty/CS would likely favor Vortex. Just wondering if Geovid is $1000+ better. Thanks, I have zero experience with either.

JG,

While I would say the Fury AB’s are sufficient for most uses and most users, the Geovids are better. Before the warrenty change- Fury’s. After, if someone can afford them without issue- Leica.

Keeping it between those two, to me the layout is like this-

Fury HD AB:

1. Excellent RF
2. AB is the standard
3. Warranty for life
4. Glass is sufficient for western hunting, and most will be perfectly happy with them.

Leica 3200.com:

1. Good RF
2. Ballistics program is fine
3. Warranty is now good
4. Excellent glass.

If someone needs a day in and day out utilitarian RF bino, and the ballistics and RF matter more than top optical quality, OR they don’t have or want to spend $2,500+ the Fury AB’s are the ones. However, if a very good RF and ballistics program are acceptable, and they want a bino that they will not need to or want to replace for a decade, Leica 3200.com without hesitation.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
To toss you a curve ball have you considered the GPO Rangeguide 10x50 Binocular Rangefinder?
  • Over 3,000 yard ranging capability
  • True-range angle technology calculate the proper distance to your target
  • Measures the angle of your target
  • Scan mode provides three readings per second
  • Temperature reading to assist your shot placement
  • OLED display with nine adjustable brightness levels
  • Extremely small and compact
  • GPObright lens coating technology
All GPO Binoculars are going on sale starting tomorrow through the 23rd and these will be reduced to only $1,499.99

OP
J

JGRaider

WKR
Thanks Formid, was hoping you'd see this thread. Doug, I don't think the GPO has a ballistic readout does it?

TheUgly

FNG
Any insight as to how the Fury 5000 AB and 3200.com perform in cold weather (i.e. below 10-15F)? Do they both still range accurately? Or does one have a noticeable degradation in performance when ranging in colder temps?

Don’t have any experience with the Fury in the field but quite a bit with various Leica rangefinders.

Optically, from what I’ve read and seen the Fury’s are somewhere near the Viper in properties. The Geovid is a high-end Leica Porro Prism Binocular with very crisp optics. So, compared to the Geovid and your SLCs they‘ll be noticeably less crisp for a lot of detailed glassing, which may be a bit frustrating to use for extended periods as a main glass. This would make me consider bringing along another binocular and kind of defeats the overall purpose. Instead of the Fury’s, if wanting a quality ballistic rangefinder and funds are an issue, I’d recommend the Leica CRF 3500. It has ballistic readouts, has one of the most advanced laser systems available, is extremely compact, wears on your belt, and the 7x monocular is Leica quality. Also lets you bring your favorite bino as a main glass.

In addition, all of the ranging systems seem to work OK in ideal conditions. But I’ve been in a number of misty, hazy, rainy or otherwise limited visibility conditions where the Leicas worked and other brands were either compromised or weren’t able to range. Leica has been doing this forever, so their system appears to be superior for ruggedness in all conditions.

Also know there are some CS concerns. All of my recent experiences with Leica over the past few years have been night and day compared to years past. They now have the best warranty of the Big 3 and believe they really mean it.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Any insight as to how the Fury 5000 AB and 3200.com perform in cold weather (i.e. below 10-15F)? Do they both still range accurately? Or does one have a noticeable degradation in performance when ranging in colder temps?

Multiples of current generation Fury 5000 AB’s, and prior Fury 5000 HD’s, they are among the- if not the best, when it comes to cold soak performance. Leicas used to have enough issues with cold soaking that it wasn’t uncommon, but they seem to have corrected that for the most part with the latest gens, at least from the relatively limited sample I’ve seen.

Handheld binos are for finding obvious animals, 15’s are for picking apart pieces, and evaluating animals. No one is going to miss an animal with Fury’s that they would have seen with Leicas, unless you’re trying to spot a tine sticking out of the sage brush in bad light. They are hot as visually pleasing as too glass, but they are decent to good, and completely functional.

No matter the type of hunting, I would rather have Fury’s than Swaro NL Pure’s and the best handheld RF.

OP
J

JGRaider

WKR
Good stuff. My previous and only Geovid attempt, the 40043 model, wouldn't range past 200 yds when temps approached freezing. I got rid of them because of that. I have a couple other alpha binos, so I'll likely got the Fury AB route and give it a try.

I haven’t used the Vortex unit but my Geovids range out beyond 2000 yards flawlessly and effortlessly. The optics are crystal clear and I’d give them a 10/10 rating.

OP
J

JGRaider

WKR
unclericco, which one do you have? In order to get all the features the Fury AB has you have to buy the $2900 3200.com. To me, not sure the price difference justifies the enhanced optical quality.

Was just pointing out another option. The Leica CFR 3500 stored custom shooting solutions, uses a Class 3R Laser, can be directly linked with a Kestral, and is tripod mountable.

My big question for anyone considering an optical product downgrade from what they are used to is - how much will you actually use as compared to if you bought the better one?

OP
J

JGRaider

WKR
I already have a Sig 2200 BDX that spits out ballistics like clockwork, no matter the weather. I can always still use that + the Swaro's, but I'm wanting to try the bino/lrf to see what all the fuss is about as I've heard multiple times "once you use the combo units you'll never go back" .

unclericco, which one do you have? In order to get all the features the Fury AB has you have to buy the $2900 3200.com. To me, not sure the price difference justifies the enhanced optical quality.
I have the HDB-3000. Has the ballistics also.

Call Doug at Cameraland, he gave me a smokin deal on mine

gcronin

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
While I can't speak on behalf of the other option, I would be happy to answer any questions you may have on the Fury HD 5000 AB. Let me know if there is anything I can help with!

OP
J

JGRaider

WKR
Thanks gcronin. So if I bought Fury and have problems with it, and you guys are on backorder for the next 8 months I'm told, what happens to servicing/fixing/replacing the binos?

gcronin

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks gcronin. So if I bought Fury and have problems with it, and you guys are on backorder for the next 8 months I'm told, what happens to servicing/fixing/replacing the binos?
Great question! If anything were to happen to it the first step is to fix it. Most of the time it's a simple fix and we'll have the optic back in your hands in no time. If we are not able to fix it, we keep special stock for warranty purposes that we would replace the unit with.