Fury Bullets - Hunting Results?

eltaco

WKR
Through my load development sessions last week, I found myself very impressed with the down-range accuracy of the 320gr Fury Universal .50 cal bullets, and I’m leaning that direction for my elk hunt this Fall. I was able to consistently shoot groups of bullets either touching or a hair apart at 100yds, which is honestly better than I anticipated getting out of a muzzleloader seeing as how I’m completely new to them this year.

That said, accuracy is almost as important to me as performance in the field. I do not have any background with muzzleloaders, and I’m looking to learn from those of you who have had the experience hunting with Fury bullets - especially for elk. Would you be willing to share your experience, and let me know if you’d have any concerns using them in this scenario?

Have you had success with them, and what distances are you comfortable with?

Last edited:

tdhanses

WKR
I’m interested as well but still planning to use them for elk and deer. I’ve found there are always those with positive and negative experiences but really we have to find out for ourselves in the end.

OP
E

eltaco

WKR
Post number 10 on this thread shows my results through the shoulder.

I’m not a huge fan of the fact the bullet separated, but that sounds like a tough shot if it went through the shoulder. I’m hopeful it would hold together if not going through the major bones in the shoulder.

ENCORE

WKR
Its not a Barnes.....

There's so many guys shooting Fury bullets that if something were really wrong with the bullet, you'd hear a lot more negative.
The RUM and UF guys aren't complaining using them on everything from elk, moose, bear and deer.

If anyone is looking for the PERFECT BULLET...............

There isn't one. Shot placement is critical.

OP
E

eltaco

WKR
Its not a Barnes.....

There's so many guys shooting Fury bullets that if something were really wrong with the bullet, you'd hear a lot more negative.
The RUM and UF guys aren't complaining using them on everything from elk, moose, bear and deer.

If anyone is looking for the PERFECT BULLET...............

There isn't one. Shot placement is critical.

I think that’s fair, but there are a lot of people shooting Powerbelts, and yet we read of issues with that bullet. I imagine there are many magnitudes greater of PBs in the market than Fury, so the basis of my question here is to find some people with first hand experience in the field with Fury.

Not looking for a perfect bullet and I agree shot placement is key, but hoping also to learn well placed bullets are acting as expected, not fragmenting, and ultimately making an ethical kill.

Appreciate the feedback so far.

ENCORE

WKR
I've used them, they work and I will continue to use them.
I will say though, if I were expecting LONG RANGE (>500yds) my choice would change to the XLD

Tried some in my smokeless muzzleloader. They were very accurate but they didn't expand. Talked to them at Fury they thought maybe I got a bad batch something happened in the making process. I will stick with the Pittman or Arrowhead.

OP
E

eltaco

WKR
Tried some in my smokeless muzzleloader. They were very accurate but they didn't expand. Talked to them at Fury they thought maybe I got a bad batch something happened in the making process. I will stick with the Pittman or Arrowhead.

Definitely don’t like that response from Dennis… thanks for your honesty.

I need to get back out to shooting. So far I really like the accuracy of the Universal 320gr, but also planning to put some Thor bullets down range to see how they compare for 100yd accuracy and 200yd drop. Seems ive read quite a few more reviews on Thors, and they have been quite positive.

OP
E

eltaco

WKR
Figured I’d report back on my results - managed to harvest a nice bull this week with a Fury Universal Fit 320gr bullet. Shot was 80yds and made a nice double lung hit that put the bull down fairly quickly. He ran about 100yds before expiring. The bullet did not pass through but the devastation was significant. I did not go searching for the bullet, however, as I perform gutless method on elk… I was also solo, which makes the work extra challenging.

Overall, I’m very satisfied with the field performance. I practiced out to 300yds and still found sub-MOA accuracy out of the bullet with my Knight Mountaineer and 120gr (v) of Blackhorn 209. I’d recommend based on my limited experience thus far!

Good luck out there!

Yarak

WKR
Figured I’d report back on my results - managed to harvest a nice bull this week with a Fury Universal Fit 320gr bullet. Shot was 80yds and made a nice double lung hit that put the bull down fairly quickly. He ran about 100yds before expiring. The bullet did not pass through but the devastation was significant. I did not go searching for the bullet, however, as I perform gutless method on elk… I was also solo, which makes the work extra challenging.

Overall, I’m very satisfied with the field performance. I practiced out to 300yds and still found sub-MOA accuracy out of the bullet with my Knight Mountaineer and 120gr (v) of Blackhorn 209. I’d recommend based on my limited experience thus far!

Good luck out there!
I tried the 285’s with 110 gns BH209 in my Mountaineer and it wouldn’t group
I may order the 320’s to see how they shoot
I bet with 120 gns of BH209 that thing had some significant recoil

OP
E

eltaco

WKR
I tried the 285’s with 110 gns BH209 in my Mountaineer and it wouldn’t group
I may order the 320’s to see how they shoot
I bet with 120 gns of BH209 that thing had some significant recoil

Below 100gr and mine would keyhole. I didn’t have any troubles above 110gr, and my groups were consistent between 110-120gr. Not sure where you landed, but I’d start high if you try the 320gr

Entrance side of the plastic tipped unbonded star tip I think it’s a 225gr shot from my smokeless muzzleloader around 2250fps. Basically a youth load. 75 yard shot or so

0BB710D9-D9C7-4F68-AA97-8B22DD483300.jpeg

Next is a Parker BE shot out of my savage custom smokeless gun. 2775 FPS. 100 yards. Hit this deer high. Never took a step 6E4CB4D0-6827-4A5B-9063-56D4336899C1.jpegCA5C4D8C-1C0E-4261-A250-34479868D235.jpeg

Next is a fury star tip 275gr shot around 2825fps. Savage custom smokeless. 150 yards. Small entrance hole and decent exit hole. Deer went 20 yards. 2A13EE6A-5900-4380-A902-0BFD010E4052.jpeg2B29F019-9966-4575-9FD5-E78CCDF55F83.jpeg

Next is a Parker match hunter. 2800ish FPS. Savage custom. Deer went 80 yards and shot was 100 yards. Small entrance. Big exit.
802ED519-CB72-4EC3-A7C6-CF6DF3AEFCE0.jpegCF3267BE-29E7-4E78-BA6C-B2F025B6104B.jpeg

All in all I’ve been pleased with the custom muzzleloader bullets. Each has their place. The fury bullets will always have a home in my cabinet. Dennis is great to work with. For the money they’re hard to beat