Fuse vs kiln?

Michael54

WKR
I've lost a significant amount of weight and figured i would treat myself to new hunting clothes. General consesis i'm finding is fl has the best base layers so thats where I'm starting. I plan on doing a lot of walking and i sweat a lot. By a lot i mean i can soak a nike dry fit in 20 mins wearing it by itself while walking fast. Temp range on average will be between 10 and 30° stand hunting is no huge deal as it has a buddy heater. This will mostly be used rabbit/upland hunting here in Pa with the dogs.

I would be using a synthetic base layer if I sweated like that to get the moisture off my skin as quick as possible. Get a Sitka LW core hoody or crew.

I have both the kiln and fuse. Fuse is my favorite by far. I just like the feeling of merino on my skin but if I know it’s cold out and I’m going to be sweating a lot then I’m going all synthetic to keep the moisture off my skin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

j33

WKR
Kiln is mostly a mid layer and wool is a not a good mid, suited for a baselayer.

As mentioned wool is not a good sweat wicking product, synthetic is where it's at. The Sitka lightweight wicks real good and doesn't stink bad at all, I used it 4 days Elk hunting in hot weather and it wasn't too stinky at the end (compared to my Kuiu Peloton 118 shirt that had more stench to it with 1 day of use).

OP
Michael54

Michael54

WKR
Kiln is mostly a mid layer and wool is a not a good mid, suited for a baselayer.

As mentioned wool is not a good sweat wicking product, synthetic is where it's at. The Sitka lightweight wicks real good and doesn't stink bad at all, I used it 4 days Elk hunting in hot weather and it wasn't too stinky at the end (compared to my Kuiu Peloton 118 shirt that had more stench to it with 1 day of use).
I have a pategonia set of synthetic that stinks to high hell but wicks well. (Dont judge it was a gift from my mother) im just looking for something that wicks decent and doesn't smell after a few hours.

OP
Michael54

Michael54

WKR
Im thinking fl base, sg helio for a mid, skre for outer right now. Then i can piece in the gaps i find from there.

j33

WKR
Yeah I'd stick to a thin merino baselayer like the Wick then go straight to synthetics

There's also of non hunting companies to use for mid layers if you want to save money

Arwhite90

FNG
I have the fuse crew and zip off 3/4 bottoms, cannot recommend them enough. I went with the fuse over kiln because I felt the higher synthetic content(I think aero wool is 75% wool vs merino-x is 95%) would provide better durability, shape holding and wicking. I wear a merino tee and synthetic boxers under them.

OP
Michael54

Michael54

WKR
I have the fuse crew and zip off 3/4 bottoms, cannot recommend them enough. I went with the fuse over kiln because I felt the higher synthetic content(I think aero wool is 75% wool vs merino-x is 95%) would provide better durability, shape holding and wicking. I wear a merino tee and synthetic boxers under them.
I bought the fuse for that reason and the fact that most of my hunting in them will be walking.

OP
Michael54

Michael54

WKR
I know you are asking about upper layers, but the best piece of hunting clothing I've found for upland and rabbit hunting in PA (I live there too.) are these Filson pants https://www.filson.com/double-hunting-pants. https://www.filson.com/double-hunti...MfYMcaAmYREALw_wcB#sku=11014025-fco-000000983
They shed brush like nothing else.
I run mule pants or a pair of too large cabelas dri fit brush pants almost all of the time anymore as my outer layer pant and have an orange brush jacket from lions country/ vented mule brush shirt. This year i have tried out the wrangler performance stretch with my brush chaps as well and im really liking the combination. The mule stuff is pretty hard to beat and the owners of the company put a ton of money towards the field trials. I met them in person at akc nationals last year and you cant find nicer people. Im in indiana county. If you live nearby and wanna hunt shoot me a pm.