Fused spine and weight training

OP
Teaman1

Teaman1

WKR
My dad is looking to start lifting weights just for general health and to gain a little strength. He had a couple vertebrae fused last year so it’s something we are both curious about (he will be talking with his doctor)

LostArra

WKR
It probably depends on the procedure and level of the fusion.

Mark Rippetoe, the founder of Starting Strength, has had vertebrae fused and still trains with heavy barbells at 64yo. That is not data, only anecdote but people do lift weights after spine surgery. Rippetoe's general philosophy is a strong back is better than a weak back even if it's been surgically repaired. As with all weight training, proper form and programming is mandatory.

Unless the doctor is an exception and has strength training experience, you can count on his response to be something silly with dumbbells no heavier than 5 lbs.

Dschwan

WKR
Like kipper09 said. I had two levels fused and that was my third surgery for the same problem. Im 39 now and my fusion was 10 years ago. I workout 5-7 days a week. I stay away from heavy weights on my spine and lower back but focus on reps not weight. Also, I work my core every day.

landman650

Lil-Rokslider
I broke 10 vertebrae in my neck and back in 2010. I have c6-7 and t6-t8 fused. I’m 39. 5’11 and 218#. I can’t feel a patch of skin about 12” x 12” on my back around the incision along my spine. With that being said, I lift heavy 5 days a week albeit I’d be more flexible had I not been injured. I did legs yesterday. Box squats last set was 455# for 7 reps.

I’ve found that your body is going to hurt whether you work out or not so f it, Just hit it hard. Don’t hurt yourself though. Modify workouts to fit you. I dont do full on squats anymore. I do Leg press and box squats along with lunges and leg curls. Back workouts are normal. Go into it slow and low weight with high reps until you figure out what your body can do. Stretch a lot. I also Go to a chiropractor.

ChrisS

WKR
I have C4-C6 fused. I was 38 and fairly strong/fit when I had the surgery. I started barbell lifting again two years after that and had no issues. I'm no monster, but I was able to get my B/S/D up over 200/300/400 again. The only thing that really left me sore for a few weeks was some KB swings with poor form, but that went away fortunately. I'm up to 32kg for 100 total reps now. I also run 10-15 miles a week without any issues.

Keep good form, add weight slowly.

I broke 10 vertebrae in my neck and back in 2010. I have c6-7 and t6-t8 fused. I’m 39. 5’11 and 218#. I can’t feel a patch of skin about 12” x 12” on my back around the incision along my spine. With that being said, I lift heavy 5 days a week albeit I’d be more flexible had I not been injured. I did legs yesterday. Box squats last set was 455# for 7 reps.

I’ve found that your body is going to hurt whether you work out or not so f it, Just hit it hard. Don’t hurt yourself though. Modify workouts to fit you. I dont do full on squats anymore. I do Leg press and box squats along with lunges and leg curls. Back workouts are normal. Go into it slow and low weight with high reps until you figure out what your body can do. Stretch a lot. I also Go to a chiropractor.
C5-C6 fused 4 years ago, disk replacement C6-C7 2 years ago today along with Discecptomy of L3-L4 a month prior to the disk replacement. I lift 3 days a week along with running at least 2 miles 3 days a week... doing better now then I did 10 years ago.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk