Future of moose hunting in AK

SilverShooter brings up a good point about only a small percentage of people actually going on a hunt like this.

One big factor (for me anyway) is just the unknown of everything. Having so much invested in a hunt like this (time, money, resources) I think there needs to be a good bit of certainty involved Not certainty or a guarantee to kill, but that the transporter, guide or whatever is reputable and will try his hardest to make a great experience for the hunter. I've read alot of disappointing stories of unsuccessful hunters and unmet expectations.

For alot of us, this is a once in a lifetime hunt.
And there again, this is where the Big Game Commercial Service Board plays a vital role for nonresidents, because nonresidents can use tgat government oversight board to verify credentials, among other things.

Rich M

WKR
SilverShooter brings up a good point about only a small percentage of people actually going on a hunt like this.

One big factor (for me anyway) is just the unknown of everything. Having so much invested in a hunt like this (time, money, resources) I think there needs to be a good bit of certainty involved Not certainty or a guarantee to kill, but that the transporter, guide or whatever is reputable and will try his hardest to make a great experience for the hunter. I've read alot of disappointing stories of unsuccessful hunters and unmet expectations.

For alot of us, this is a once in a lifetime hunt.
AK in itself is a trip of a lifetime.

Not everyone is successful. Not everyone is gonna be happy - I've heard some stories where I'da been burning the outfitter in effigy and contemplating the real thing. But we gotta do our research, right?

I looked at the 2020 harvest stats - it was across the board. 4% in one area and 100% in another. Lots in the 50-60% bracket, some closer to 20%. So if you go to a 50% area you have a coin's flip chance of success. 20% area, you are more likely NOT to succeed. So, that's a good way to start figuring out where you want to hunt. But you already did that.

Then you can find the outfitters that frequent those areas and start calling, asking pre-planned multi-facetted questions that facilitate a conversation. Then you get referrals, including someone who did not harvest an animal.

Not everyone is standing by the runway with their gear when a bush plane comes in for the next run. The guys who want it to happen, make it happen.

Take the $ out of the equation. Yes, it's gonna be north of $10,000 to do this hunt. If you let yourself think that you are buying something and are entitled to this or that, it just ruins the atmosphere and makes stuff unpleasant. There is very little you can control once you sign on the dotted line.

YES - do your research, get lined up on the best guide/pilot/whoever you can.

Then just let go and have an adventure without expectations - you are going to have the adventure of a lifetime - don't mess it up with imagined expectations. You are like me - never been there - never hunted moose - how can we expect anything or expect specific certainty? Go with the flow and enjoy the fruits of your labor and trust your research.

Good luck.

Lots of great advice on this thread.

I will say that I have spent the last few years researching transporters and trying to put a hunt together.

Here’s my hang up. If you go with one of well known transporters, you are dropping $8-10k just for the hunt. That doesn’t include all the other logistics. Once you add it all up you will have $15k ina DIY real quick.

That’s hard for me to justify. I can afford it. But I don’t want to pay it. I can go on 3-4 DIY black tail hunts on Kodiak for that price. And have just a good of time and get the Alaska experience. Only difference I won’t have a moose to show off. Just a bunch of black tail antlers and a freezer full of some the best meat I have ever eaten.

Another possibility is to try and draw a tag in a limited area. Some of those limited areas have slightly better road access. Or less competition for transporters because of fewer tags.

I think that trying to do a true DIY hunt (no transporters or hunt planners) in Alaska for moose in an OTC area and come home successful would have to be one of the most difficult things to accomplishment for a non-resident hunter.

VernAK

WKR
YUP!.....^^^^^^^^^^a nice Kodiak hunt can be a good thing in a very interesting area. If you time it right, there is tremendous fishing for salmon and steelhead. Do your homework and you may be able to take an Emperor Goose or a Harlequin Duck to have mounted for your den. If you going late enough, I'd sure take a couple of those big foxes as they are numerous and half friendly.

AS Timekiller says the blacktail meat is really good......right in there with dall sheep.

If you've got unlimited time, drive your pickup to Homer and take the ferry across. This allows for more gear and meat transporting.

I can go on 3-4 DIY black tail hunts on Kodiak for that price.
Right on. Same consideration should be taken by people who want to moose hunt and are trying to decide on who to go with or which area. What my first moose hunt cost I figured I could go on 3 hunts instead of what I would've paid for one hunt with one of the big guys in western AK. And based on the research I did, I felt very good about shooting a bull at least once every 3 years. So based on my financial situation at the time, I was more happy going immediately with good odds of shooting a bull once every 3 years and hunting moose every year instead of having to save a couple more years and hunt once every 3 years with much higher success rates.

I get it that where I'm at a moose hunt probably costs me ~$3K less than a NR when things are all said and done but still something to consider.

AkRyan

WKR
I live in the 3rd largest city. Been hunting moose actively for 6yrs(hunted for 20 but I was more into the party!) My family has got a moose every year off the road system. I've never payed for a plane/boat/guide. It just takes time and nr unfortunately don't have much. Imo your best bet is to make friends with some hunters and take a trip to Alaska to visit. Get in good with that group and you now have your own personal taxi/guide service.

AkRyan

WKR
I've has the opportunity to take a couple big names from the mma world out hunting and all of them have come back Even if they don't get a animal. Plenty of fishing and small game to entertain on the slow days.

gkempf

FNG
Hunted Alaska Back in 91. Hunted the Tag river. Shot a 62 3/8" Moose. There and back to Indiana I had $3000 in the whole trip. Glad I got my moose then. Am going back for caribou though.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Last years moose cost me 80 bucks, Got a nice big bear too. I think my bull from the year before cost about the same. In fact I’ve never spent more than a hundred bucks for a moose hunt.

There’s plenty more out there too. I can tell you that my future includes a lot more bulls.

I think if a man wanted to go on more than one moose hunt (every 1-3 years) then he might would be better off buying a little piece of fly-in lake property somewhere in AK. For the cost of one guided Ak moose hunt one could have a permanent moose spot. It’s a shot in the dark as to whether the spot would be productive or not. But, I figure if you bought in the right area, you could probably stumble on a moose every now and then.

z987k

WKR
Last years moose cost me 80 bucks, Got a nice big bear too. I think my bull from the year before cost about the same. In fact I’ve never spent more than a hundred bucks for a moose hunt.

There’s plenty more out there too. I can tell you that my future includes a lot more bulls.
I think I had $300 into my last one, which includes supplies for butchering and such.

If I was going to sink 10-15k into a moose hunt, I'd want to bring back a breeding pair alive.

Last edited:
With freezing rain and deepest snows since the early 1990s,
this year's calf cohort is in trouble.
Wolf predation may be substantial on adults.
Even the bottoms have deep snow:
McGrath 37"
Circle Hot Springs 42"
Eagle 47"
Maclaran River 47"
Coldfoot 60"

We all have our financial priorities. Not even the slightest regrets here for what I pay for remote experiences. Hopefully in the next decade I have an airplane, but until then I'll pay someone that has one with a big ol' smile on my face!

I'll be landing in Bethel Sept. 7th this year to help out a few days prior to flying out. If anyone is in town, look for the guy on the PB dock with his arm in a box of PBR. There will be plenty to share and I love talking moose!

VernAK

WKR
With freezing rain and deepest snows since the early 1990s,
this year's calf cohort is in trouble.
Wolf predation may be substantial on adults.
Even the bottoms have deep snow:
McGrath 37"
Circle Hot Springs 42"
Eagle 47"
Maclaran River 47"
Coldfoot 60"
Units 20A and 20D have severe winter snow/ice conditions. I don't expect much survival in the short yearlings and I doubt if the new calf crop will amount to much. I'm hearing of very deep snow in 20E but without ice conditions. Winter came at us on September 20th and it continued to worsen with rain interspersed and leaving 2" of hard ice on 2' of snow followed by 2 more feet of snow. Did the big bulls have time to recover post rut?
I guess we'll know come fall.

AkRyan

WKR
In the past we have gone out and cut trees down on bad snow years. Gives them some easy food to get the energy to plow.

I've been following the winter conditions and effects on moose in the Fairbanks/Delta region. My friend who is a biologist there told me he is aware of significant calf mortality caused by snow/ice and predation. He says the Fairbanks area is especially hard hit. No way to know yet what will happen with the adult moose, but safe to say this winter will not encourage an increase in numbers. Likely to be very hard on the oldest adults. I'm expecting the worst but hoping for something better.

z987k

WKR
I've been following the winter conditions and effects on moose in the Fairbanks/Delta region. My friend who is a biologist there told me he is aware of significant calf mortality caused by snow/ice and predation. He says the Fairbanks area is especially hard hit. No way to know yet what will happen with the adult moose, but safe to say this winter will not encourage an increase in numbers. Likely to be very hard on the oldest adults. I'm expecting the worst but hoping for something better.
Sounds like we might need some predator control hunts.