Fuzzy racks

How many of you have the opportunity to harvest whitetails still holding velvet?
Is there a preference for tagging out early season versus later in the year- why/why not?

ewescue

Lil-Rokslider
I've had the opportunity and it is my favorite time to target a specific buck. They are still on their summer pattern and I've typically spent months learning the ins and outs of that pattern all summer. For any big buck it's okay, rut is better. If you have a specific target buck, no doubt, early season is the best time of year to take advantage of. The earlier the better.

Every year. Season starts 8-15 in the low country. Heading south next Sat to hunt 4 days..I get 3 bucks tags as a R, before I have to buy extras, but can only kill one buck a day. It's a fun hunt nothing like seeing half dozen bucks at once and trying to get a shot at the biggest in the group.

Foggy Mountain

Lil-Rokslider
When the deer you want shows up shoot him. Early season deer are in pattern. Nice hunting for a bit. Plus if you tag out you can go chase bunnies, deke ducks, mentor a kid, whatever The rut besides being fun allows a lot more hunt time if you were at it all year. Pros to both

Rich M

WKR
I got a velvet spike in GA and a 7 pt in SC. Velvet is some delicate stuff.

Make a pretty mount if you are so inclined.

I would not shoot a small buck just cause he's in velvet if you want to hunt a big deer and can only shoot one. Get on the big boy's pattern and shoot him instead.

DCT1983

Lil-Rokslider
I would love to get a chance at a velvet buck, but we don't get that here in Missouri. I have thought many times about a trip to Kentucky for one.