G20 Gen3 vs Gen4

Shadowcaster

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, I'm wanting to get a 10mm for bear country and am leaning towards a G20. Question is, I've read about issues with the latest Gen4 in regards to being grenades. I'll probably be running mainly hot buffalo bore stuff for bear and lower power stuff for practice. Wondering if anyone has any input?

I haven’t heard that between the generations but it’d be interesting to find out if that’s true. The thing that can blow one up is over pressure in the factory barrel. Either from just leading from shooting cast bullets or real hot loads. The factory barrels chamber is not fully supported and the extra pressure blows out there. There’s plenty of guys who shoot cast or crazy hot loads out of theirs and have no problems but you can get a number of full supported barrels pretty cheap and not worry about it. I’ve been using a lone wolf barrel with a 22lb spring with zero Issues and shoot pretty hot loads.

OP
S

Shadowcaster

Lil-Rokslider
I haven’t heard that between the generations but it’d be interesting to find out if that’s true. The thing that can blow one up is over pressure in the factory barrel. Either from just leading from shooting cast bullets or real hot loads. The factory barrels chamber is not fully supported and the extra pressure blows out there. There’s plenty of guys who shoot cast or crazy hot loads out of theirs and have no problems but you can get a number of full supported barrels pretty cheap and not worry about it. I’ve been using a lone wolf barrel with a 22lb spring with zero Issues and shoot pretty hot loads.
Thanks for the reply. I've been thinking I'd get a lone wolf barrel, they're reasonably priced and the one I had for a G22 worked great.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
I'll throw this out there after shooting my G20 a couple weekends ago using the ammo in the attached image.

Not scientific in the least, but all I can say is wow. I had a pistol tree set up about 7-8 yards from me. Using 10mm FMJ (don't think I shoot hard cast that day, but do not remember for sure), and hitting one target would swing it to the other side of the tree and maybe swing one of the targets above and below.

Using the 10mm XP would swing the primary target and the targets above and below to the other side every time. Lots of power and let's not forget there are 15+1 in the G20 mag.

The XP has a copper bullet with flanges (?) that is designed to create a large wound channel like a follow point, but the penetration of a hard cast. The XP is 140 grains at 1500 FPS for ~700 ft. lbs. of energy.

No idea how this display of power would translate to stopping power in a bear, but if a pistol tree is any indication, I'm going with the XP's with the added benefit of not have to worry about the hard cast issues of tumbling, barrel problems or changing components.

Good luck,

Eddie

Attachments

• 10MMXP.PNG
    10MMXP.PNG
    10.8 KB · Views: 16
Between me and my buddies we probably have 4 or 5 and all have worked great. The 22lb recoil spring seemed work well with the heavy loads and doesn’t have and an issue cycling the lighter stuff.

Harvey_NW

WKR
I have a Gen 4 and I asked the same question before I bought it, my knowledgeable advisor told me it's false info and obviously circumstantial. I've only put HSM bear loads through mine with no issues.

I'll throw this out there after shooting my G20 a couple weekends ago using the ammo in the attached image.

Not scientific in the least, but all I can say is wow. I had a pistol tree set up about 7-8 yards from me. Using 10mm FMJ, and hitting one target would swing it to the other side of the tree and maybe swing one of the targets above and below.

Using the 10mm XP would swing the primary target and the targets above and below to the other side every time. Lots of power and let's not forget there are 15+1 in the G20 mag.

The XP has a copper bullet with flanges (?) that is designed to create a large wound channel like a follow point, but the penetration of a hard cast. The XP is 140 grains at 1500 FPS for ~700 ft. lbs. of energy.

No idea how this display of power would translate to stopping power in a bear, but if a pistol tree is any indication, I'm going with the XP's with the added benefit of not have to worry about the hard cast issues of tumbling and barrel problems.

Good luck,

Eddie
Probably wouldn’t do too well for penetration on something like a bear. I was using buffalo bore hard cast but have recently started loading Lehigh defense 190gr copper monos. I am very impressed with them so far. Buffalo bore also loads these if you don’t roll your own

OP
S

Shadowcaster

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the replies everyone! Sounds like I'd be safe with either one. As Harvey said it's mostly circumstantial, and I'm sure a lot of them are people that think their incapable/too embarrassed to admit they double charged or went above max charge.
For those that have experience with both, how does the recoil compare to like an EAA Witness or the likes? Part of the reason I'm thinking Glock is holster and aftermarket support.

Jbehredt

WKR
The gen 4 will give you a back strap options if your hands are not large. Gen 3 you either get a standard or sf frame. Another thing to consider.

OP
S

Shadowcaster

Lil-Rokslider
Hands are about average I think so that's a non issue, although resale might be better on a Gen4 if I choose a different route. I'll be going with the standard frame.

bat-cave

WKR
Or for something different check out 460 Rowland - https://www.460rowland.com/shop/

If you have a G17/19 ... a barrel change and a 960 Rowland cartridge becomes a high capacity semi-auto .357 Mag

If you have a G30 / 1911 etc ... you can do a 460 Rowland and get the equivalent of a .44 Mag.

I have friends that have tried the 960 version and love it, waiting on my barrel to ship.

I have a G20 and have had no issues, but it's a brick and I carry it less as a result.

FWIW ...

OP
S

Shadowcaster

Lil-Rokslider
Grenade?
My bet is this is from guys modifying their Glock. My Gen3 is stock and I have 700 rds of Underwood 200g hard cast through it without a malfunction.

I find it funny that guys think they can use drop in parts to Improve the function of what is arguably the most reliable STOCK firearm in the world. < face palm>

Glock barrels are equal to the best in the world. No not a fanboy boast, its been tested.

Sure barrels like KKM have tighter chambers…that can contribute to feeding problems. Do you really think that Glock arbitrarily decided on their chamber dimensions?

MY BET, the Glock grenades are from avg Joes modding their Glocks.
Swapping parts like springs or barrels with tight chambers affect slide action. This can cause the slide to be just out of lock.

OP, G20 stock with factory ammo is what you want. Then clean it every few hundred rounds….

Just curious if you reload your 10mm? I load most everything I shoot and 10mm wont be an exception. I know a lot of people replace Glock barrels to get better supported chambers to be rid of the famous glock bulge.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have both, I’ve shot thousands of rounds through them (I have 3 actually). I prefer the gen4 and have never had a single issue with it being a grenade. I know lots of guys who use the gen4 and again have never heard of this issue. I’d personally buy a gen4 without hesitation.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I use a stock Gen 3 as well with no issues whatsoever. It's my EDC gun and I do reload for it......makes it real affordable to shoot.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I plan on reloading in the future...and when I do I will size the brass accordingly. My spent cartridges aren't as bad as some of the expert internet commentary I've seen.

I'm just relaying my experience, do with it as you will.

I have buddies that replaced their barrels with BarSto, KKM and LW. All of those G20's had to be tweaked due to malfunctions.

My stock G20 runs like a top. Not one malfunction.
I did see some barrel discoloration shooting hard cast, checking every 50rds at about the 300 rd count...but not what I would classify as leading. The leading Glock warns against doesn't really apply to Hard cast lubed bullets, IME. I would clean it periodically to be safe.

I have 2 gen4 Glock 20s. One is completely stock and the other has a KKM barrel. Neither of them needed a single bit of tweaking and the one with the KKM is far more accurate. No issues of feeding, extraction or reliability of any sort with either of them.