G20 vs G29 10mm for Backcountry

BKhunter

WKR
Would love to hear why you all prefer the G20 or the G29 10mm for the backcountry pro's vs cons. Thanks for any feedback.

BK

slvrslngr

WKR
I choose the 29 mostly due to its smaller size. Carry it in a HPG Recon kit bag. The 20 is easier to shoot but the 29 isn’t much more difficult. I’m shooting factory ammo, nothing too hot.

The added size and extra 3 bullets only adds 3oz so weight isn’t an issue. In NY you may be stuck with 10 round mags anyway. I find the 20 a bit more shootable but not a lot.

Steelruger22

Lil-Rokslider
G20 for me. I'm not running concealed in the woods but open carry so size is not an issue.
I have an am barrel in mine and run close to max pressure handloads. Longer barrel =more velocity.
Rather have the controlability the fullsize offers in a high pressure situation.

I match my pistol to the expected threat. Big bears/deer=44 mag. Average Black bears/deer =10mm, 2 legged varmints/dogs =any normal CC shooter will do.

You'll probably be happy with either. I went with the 29, but have a 4.5 aftermarket barrel in it. I'm shooting mainly underwood 220s through it. Imo the 29 carries smaller vs the 20 more than the dimensions might suggest - primarily in the grip. I really like it and is less intrusive on my pack belt than anything I've previously used in the backcountry. You are definitely giving up a bit of shoot ability though. Just need to decide what is most important to you for how you plan to use it.

Last edited:

Bwn94

FNG
It’s not even in the question but I carry a Glock 40 in a kenai chest holster and love every bit of it. At first I thought it may get in the way but after having it I’m glad I went that route, and most times never even notice it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can make an argument for either as they both are great at what they do. Personally I carry a Lone Wolf long slide G20 so concealment isn’t something I worry about.

OP
B

BKhunter

WKR
It’s not even in the question but I carry a Glock 40 in a kenai chest holster and love every bit of it. At first I thought it may get in the way but after having it I’m glad I went that route, and most times never even notice it.

I was thinking of carrying it the same way except I have the marsupial gear bino harness and was going to get the Razco kydex holster. Thoughts?

Bwn94

FNG
I was thinking of carrying it the same way except I have the marsupial gear bino harness and was going to get the Razco kydex holster. Thoughts?

I thought about going that route but wanted a stand alone holster to run by itself occasionally. I had absolutely no issues at all running my AGC bino harness over top of the kenai. I also don’t like that the Razco puts the gun so low, for instance I was in waders a lot in SE AK last summer and the setup I had kept the gun accessible and above my waders. I’ll see if I can’t dig around and find a picture to show.

OP
B

BKhunter

WKR
I thought about going that route but wanted a stand alone holster to run by itself occasionally. I had absolutely no issues at all running my AGC bino harness over top of the kenai. I also don’t like that the Razco puts the gun so low, for instance I was in waders a lot in SE AK last summer and the setup I had kept the gun accessible and above my waders. I’ll see if I can’t dig around and find a picture to show.

Thanks that would be appreciated

Would love to hear why you all prefer the G20 or the G29 10mm for the backcountry pro's vs cons. Thanks for any feedback.

BK
I went back and forth on this forever few years ago and finally settled on the 29 - absolutely no regrets. I hunt deer, elk and black bears in grizzly country, so i put a lot of time and effort into my decision, even deciding between the glock and wheelgun. There are a couple arguments for the G20:

1) G20 grip is bigger and therefore more comfortable. Also longer site picture, so easier to shoot accurately. People make these assumptions, but I dont think either is 100% accurate. My research shows that most people shoot the G29 more accurately, I do as well. I am 6’5” with pretty big hands and it feels really really good to hold. It is also lighter and a pleasure to carry, I don’t even know its there half the time.

2) You lose velocity with the shorter barrel in the 29. There are some good test results posted online - I found the differences in velocity to be 20-40 fps depending on the ammo. Immaterial imo.

3. G20 holds more ammo - this is true, but a G29 can use a G20 mag, not vice versa. Does it look a little weird? Sure, but who cares.

The G29 is about the size of a glock 19/23, just a little wider, so you can totally edc it if you want to. I have several other conceal carry guns, but every once in a while I like to take the 29 for a ride - its probably my favorite handgun.

Last edited:

rbljack

WKR
Another vote for Glock 29 here. I went back and forth on this one myself. I like the lighter option and more compact glock 29, and went with that. I put it on my kifaru belt in a JC Kydex Holster and still had room to put a med belt pouch over it. When I drop the pack, I can still slip the gun into the pocket behind my AGC bino harness and have it on me. NO regrets here. I run hardcast bullets, and also use the glock 29 to dispatch hogs when we are trapping them. I don't carry the glock on solo rifle hunts, but if the wife has the tag, then I carry the glock. I also bring it on spring turkey hunts. Sounding like a turkey hen in cougar country gives me just a little more protection "just in case". There are black bears in that area too....so either way, I like to have it with me.

The G29 is about the size of a glock 19/23, just a little wider, so you can totally edc it if you want to. I have several other conceal carry guns, but every once in a while I like to take the 29 for a ride - its probably my favorite handgun.
I've never actually handled one, but I though the g29 was the same size as the g26? A subcompact.