G20 vs G29 10mm for Backcountry

Beendare

WKR
G20 here. In big bear country i’m more concerned with fast accuracy and shoot ability than a compact carry pistol.

I have big hands, but a guy was small hands might shoot the 29 better.

I shoot mine stock with upgraded sites and Underwood 200 gr hard cast

Bwn94

FNG
I use a nearly identical setup as Bwn94. G40 in a Kenai chest holster and an AGC bino holster outside of that. Binos and gun are out of the way yet easily accessible. I tried a few other combos before settling on this one.

I also wore my setup often while saddle hunting during our late archery/firearm season and and never felt it impeded anything. Great pair

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have big hands, but a guy was small hands might shoot the 29 better.

I shoot mine stock with upgraded sites and Underwood 200 gr hard cast
have you ever shot the Glock 29? I have big hands as well, but shoot the 29 better than the 20. Most people find the 29 to be more accurate than the 20.

When you say most people, what is your sample size? Do you feel the Glock 20 is inherently inaccurate?
Thats not what I am saying - I am saying if you take 10 people and let them both shoot a 29 and 20 side by side, 9/10 will shoot the 29 more accurately. I did this with myself and 6 other buddies, shooting 3 different 20’s and 2 29s. Every single one of us shot the 29 more accurately. Why? IDK...Hickock45 does a comparison between the two and found the same thing to be true.

I was just debunking the idea that the 20 was more accurate than the 29. I doubt one is more inherently accurate than the other - given the size of the frame it is entirely possible that the 29 is easier to shoot for most people.

Beendare

WKR
have you ever shot the Glock 29? I have big hands as well, but shoot the 29 better than the 20. Most people find the 29 to be more accurate than the 20.
I have not shot the G 29. But I do have a G 23 and a couple G 19‘s.

I would question your statistics on claimed accuracy of the G29 over the G 20. ..... that doesn’t sound right to me. My G 20 is a tack driver, stock.

I shoot my G 20 As good as I shoot my G 19.... it’s pretty close but the nod goes to the G 20.

my G 23, (40 caliber) is my worst shooting Glock, it’s too snappy for that small frame..... slower follow ups.

I get very little muzzle rise from my G 20.... sure it’s more than a 9 mm but it’s not that bad when you get high and grip the gun.

—-

Wrench

WKR
I have a bunch of pistols and find the frame size x trigger pull length + recoil = one of the worst pistols I own.

I use it because it's minute of bad guy at 50 feet for me still, but the same ammo in my 1911 is good for a called shot on an apple at the same distance.....and probably 3x that.

Tower

FNG
Another vote for the 29. I carry it in the Razco bino holster when in the mountains, and on my hip when I want to conceal or open carry. As stated, its nearly identical in size to the 19, but thicker. I put the Pearce grip extension on the mags and found that works really well. Have also tried the X-Grip adapter for G20 mags and didn't like it as much. I don't find the hot loads to be hard to handle at all with the 29.

I have not shot the G 29. But I do have a G 23 and a couple G 19‘s.

I would question your statistics on claimed accuracy of the G29 over the G 20. ..... that doesn’t sound right to me. My G 20 is a tack driver, stock.

I shoot my G 20 As good as I shoot my G 19.... it’s pretty close but the nod goes to the G 20.

my G 23, (40 caliber) is my worst shooting Glock, it’s too snappy for that small frame..... slower follow ups.

I get very little muzzle rise from my G 20.... sure it’s more than a 9 mm but it’s not that bad when you get high and grip the gun.

—-
Google is your friend here. I shoot my 23 just fine, it was one of my first handgun purchases when I was going through the interview process with the FBI. It is snappy, but mine is a tackdriver, I shoot it just as well as my 9mm glocks. Probably more about technique and fundamentals than it is the guns themselves.

Which is more accurate, the glock 19 or the glock 17?

How you carry it will best determine which is better. If you're unsure about the smaller grip of the 29 and don't have too large of mitts, use a pinky extender on the regular mags.

Beendare

WKR
Google is your friend here. I shoot my 23 just fine, it was one of my first handgun purchases when I was going through the interview process with the FBI. It is snappy, but mine is a tackdriver, I shoot it just as well as my 9mm glocks. Probably more about technique and fundamentals than it is the guns themselves.

Which is more accurate, the glock 19 or the glock 17?

You lost me. I'm not trying to be argumentative... just stating my experience.

I can shoot faster followups with my G20 than my G23,no question. My guess is its because I have a better grip on the gun. A guy with smaller mitts will no doubt disagree. I run about 3 cases through my 17's and 19's every year....maybe if I spent more time with the 23....I might like it a little better.

Didn't the FBI move away from .40 due to poor marksmanship? Maybe I'm not the only one- grin

____

You lost me. I'm not trying to be argumentative... just stating my experience.

I can shoot faster followups with my G20 than my G23,no question. My guess is its because I have a better grip on the gun. A guy with smaller mitts will no doubt disagree. I run about 3 cases through my 17's and 19's every year....maybe if I spent more time with the 23....I might like it a little better.

Didn't the FBI move away from .40 due to poor marksmanship? Maybe I'm not the only one- grin

____
The snowflakes and the women have a hard time shooting the 40...shrug. Same reason LE agencies across the country are going back to 9mm. No way its as effective as the 40.

Shraggs

WKR
I agree with figjam analysis. Was leaning 29 cause I’m not huge and a weight wennie

Ultimately. I shot both back to back alternating. I was able to consistently shoot the g20 faster and more accurately. despite my modest size hands.

So I usually carry 9 or 10 rounds in my g20.

tdhanses

WKR
I’ve had my g29 for many years and find it shoots great and isn’t bad to shoot at all. Doesn’t feel overly snappy at all.

xFREDx

Lil-Rokslider
G20 if your not that concerned about weight. But we know ounces equal pounds and pounds equal pain. So if shedding weight then the G29

Aeast

Lil-Rokslider
From experience.

-More rounds the better, under stress you go through rounds very quickly.

- Have your pistol where you are used to drawing it and not in some funky holster or strapped to your pack, it needs to be on you and accessible in a split second. Bears are stupid fast

- Practice a lot and be very accurate, muscle memory is your friend in these situations.

CCH

WKR
I have had the G29, the G20 and the G20SF and by far recommend the latter for outdoors carry. Whether it's a chest rig or a holster on your hip belt, you will not notice the size difference between the 20 and the 29, but the 20 is definitely easier to control and shoot -- my legendary and unlikely to be repeated head shot on a blue grouse notwithstanding. ;) The 29 is a brick. I carried one concealed for a while and comparing its dimensions to a 19 are not nearly as accurate in function as they are on paper. That is compared to carrying a 19 for many years. Once you get beyond concealed carry, there just isn't really a reason to reduce the easier shooting a 20 provides. If you want less weight, just load five less rounds and they'll be pretty close.