G5 Broadhead Questions

WCB94

FNG
Alright guys, I'm wanting to know about the experiences everyone has had with the G5 Striker X vs. the Montec. I chose to switch from Rage NC to Striker X last season. My issue with the Striker X is that a couple of them literally fell apart in transit. I didn't have them on my arrows until I was driving to my spot, about a 10 minute drive. I kept them off my arrows during the four hour drive to the mountains. When I arrived to my spot, the blades were just laying loose about the case, and I had to put them back together before heading out. My other issue is that even when they're properly installed, they rattle around and just don't give me a good feeling, I've tightened them down as best I can to no avail. I'm considering switching to Montecs because I like the fact that they are a one piece design, but wanted to hear some other opinions/possible solutions to my issues with the Strikers.

Zac

WKR
Do yourself a favor and purchase a couple packs of Iron wills. Eventually you will end up with a premium broadhead if you do this long enough anyway.

OP
WCB94

WCB94

FNG
Do yourself a favor and purchase a couple packs of Iron wills. Eventually you will end up with a premium broadhead if you do this long enough anyway.
I have been seriously considering dropping the cash on Iron Will heads. At this point, I've spent enough to get a pack of those on disappointments, which ones do you use?

Zac

WKR
S100s, but they have options for whatever weight or size you would like. You can get ahold of Bill pretty easy on here. He could recommend what ever kind of configuration would be appropriate for you.

OP
WCB94

WCB94

FNG
S100s, but they have options for whatever weight or size you would like. You can get ahold of Bill pretty easy on here. He could recommend what ever kind of configuration would be appropriate for you.
Sweet. Thanks dude, I have been seriously considering picking up a set for elk season.

Zac

WKR
There's a lot of useless things archers spend their money on. IW products are definitely not one of them, and you will not regret the purchase.

OP
WCB94

WCB94

FNG
There's a lot of useless things archers spend their money on. IW products are definitely not one of them, and you will not regret the purchase.
Lol. Very true. Thanks dude!

Reactions: Zac

TheGDog

WKR
The G5 Montec's are built pretty damn tough. I had to spend like 30 minutes carving one out of a dead oak that it hit across the gullie behind the buck I missed once. Showed hardly any wear or deformation on it even though I'd just buried it all the way to the insert into that oak. And of course, oak is a strong and hard wood. So I figure that's saying something. And they did work well on my not so great shot the next day when another not as nice buck came by. Complete pass-thru. Was significantly back, but angled in so the exit was thru the opposite butt-cheek. Thankfully it was high nearer to spine so it worked anyway and bled well.

83cj-7

WKR
Regarding Iron Will: I am part of a archery hunt each year that is done to thin deer heards in populated areas (urban archery hunts). I average 16 deer a year with a bow. This year I made the decision to try IW broadheads. First deer, first shot of the season and I broke a broadhead off right at the shank. No clue, never seen anything like it. Arrow just laying on the ground behind deer covered with blood, broadhead broke off. No blood anywhere on the ground. Never saw the deer again. Tried 3 times to contact IW with no response. Worst $300 I’ve ever invested. Went back to shooting QAD Exodus. The broadhead that will shoot through both shoulders and a tree and look like it came out of the package.
Yes, my experience is probably the exception to the rule, but it sucked. Yes, the broadhead was tight (and locktitied). Yes, I can shoot a bow.

83cj-7

WKR
As you can see, I dropped big $

Attachments

• 93CBD315-54D9-4CCD-B086-E9C409F2103A.jpeg
    93CBD315-54D9-4CCD-B086-E9C409F2103A.jpeg
    384.6 KB · Views: 70
  • DD183D6A-D845-48F2-976F-982BA9F411D2.jpeg
    DD183D6A-D845-48F2-976F-982BA9F411D2.jpeg
    190.8 KB · Views: 69
As you can see, I dropped big $

@Bill V

He tends to stand behind his products. I saw another thread where someone had trouble contacting them, unfortunately as a company grows sometimes things fall thru the cracks. I believe you are in a minority in not having a positive CS experience with them.

No idea what could have happened there, but it definitely doesn't seem typical. I have one head that went thru two deer, a rabbit into concrete, and I don't know how many groundhogs. The tip has a slight chip missing, everything it has hit I don't feel like it owes me anything. Can't put an arrow in dirt around here and not hit a rock.

Exodus is a quality head too. I am not sold on any one broadhead, lots of good ones out there. Just pick features you think are important.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I used to use the G5 Strikers........yes you need an insert screwed onto them to keep them together, just like most all replaceable blade BH's. Otherwise you'll lose a washer or the blades or both. I've heard that the newer ones rattle around. I still have some of the old ones and they don't rattle.

I don't like Montecs, no matter how sharp they are they still don't feel sharp. I switched to QAD Exodus this last year and they work well. Great entrance and exit holes.

cured_ham

WKR
Do not buy the Strikers, probably should not buy the Montecs either.

Shot my Striker at an elk and it ran away with my arrow sticking out of a rib. Shot it at a doe and it did not pass through after hitting ribs. The doe rolled when it fell and pushed the head out. All but 1 blade had broken off on ribs. The blades are just not as sturdy as they need to be. I junked mine. I have a 30" Draw at 67lbs.

Montecs are better than a Striker but not by much. Theyre still disposable heads. The tips curl bad and edge retention is sub par.

Buy an Iron WIll, Day Six, Valkyrie, VPA, or Tuffhead. It is the only part of the system that touches an animal, it is worth the expense.

Reactions: Zac

Zac

WKR
Regarding Iron Will: I am part of a archery hunt each year that is done to thin deer heards in populated areas (urban archery hunts). I average 16 deer a year with a bow. This year I made the decision to try IW broadheads. First deer, first shot of the season and I broke a broadhead off right at the shank. No clue, never seen anything like it. Arrow just laying on the ground behind deer covered with blood, broadhead broke off. No blood anywhere on the ground. Never saw the deer again. Tried 3 times to contact IW with no response. Worst $300 I’ve ever invested. Went back to shooting QAD Exodus. The broadhead that will shoot through both shoulders and a tree and look like it came out of the package.
Yes, my experience is probably the exception to the rule, but it sucked. Yes, the broadhead was tight (and locktitied). Yes, I can shoot a bow.
That is awesome where is this Atlanta? I watch those Seek One guys shoot deer out of yards, it must be something similar. I'm so jealous.

Did anyone notice weight issues with G5 Montec? Mine are mostly about 2grains lower than what tehy should be. Doesn't affect accuracy a lot at archery hunting distance, but still...

As for the quality, a couple of weeks ago there was a G5 representative on ArcheryTalk saying they will replace damaged products for free and claims no brand really has indestructible heads, which makes sense to me. Even if IWs were truly indestructible, you can still lose them in the woods - my arrow recovery rate is about 2 out of 3.

Shot Montecs when I started bowhunting 13 years ago. Killed a bunch of deer with them but I would not recommend them. They are really hard to get sharp. I also think they are cast not milled.

TheGDog

WKR
I don't like Montecs, no matter how sharp they are they still don't feel sharp.
WHAT?? Wow... I mean Geez... the only way those things could be any sharper would be if the blades had an edge made out of Obsidian! I have to be ridiculously careful with those things!

EDIT: Just so I can understand what "sharp" should feel like, can ya point me at some other broadhead to checkout? This has me extremely curious now to know what a "sharp" broadhead is! Just to clarify I'm referring to the Stainless ones, not the Carbon Steel ones.

dkime

WKR
Alright guys, I'm wanting to know about the experiences everyone has had with the G5 Striker X vs. the Montec. I chose to switch from Rage NC to Striker X last season. My issue with the Striker X is that a couple of them literally fell apart in transit. I didn't have them on my arrows until I was driving to my spot, about a 10 minute drive. I kept them off my arrows during the four hour drive to the mountains. When I arrived to my spot, the blades were just laying loose about the case, and I had to put them back together before heading out. My other issue is that even when they're properly installed, they rattle around and just don't give me a good feeling, I've tightened them down as best I can to no avail. I'm considering switching to Montecs because I like the fact that they are a one piece design, but wanted to hear some other opinions/possible solutions to my issues with the Strikers.
G5 is a great american company, have you tried to get ahold of them at all? Great people over there and if there was an issue I am sure they would love to be made aware of it. I have considered picking up a pack of these striker Xs since they came out just havent done it yet. The OG striker has a proven track record.

nphunter

WKR
I shoot expandables for elk and deer, I also shoot 70lbs and a 500gr arrow. I think my new favorite head for elk will be the dead meat, it worked excellent on my bull this fall and unlike most expandables, they won't fall back out with the slide back blade design.

I've had good luck with a lot of G5 products over the years. I'm going to disagree with Zac about eventually ending up with high-end heads. If I had to bet on it I would say most really good experienced archers don't have a rokslide or FB account, have never heard of IW, and probably shoot heads like muzzy, slick trick or Magnus which between them have killed more animals than all the other heads mentioned on hear combined.

If you want some high-end heads I have some Iron Will S100's and collars for sale in the classifieds. They are great products but 100% not neccesary. I've put a lot of different heads through elk and deer and have had zero broadhead failures or issues with them other than smaller than I would like blood trails which is why I switched to expandables.

Matt1214

Lil-Rokslider
I have been seriously considering dropping the cash on Iron Will heads. At this point, I've spent enough to get a pack of those on disappointments, which ones do you use?
I just switched to iron will from G5 M3. The difference in sharpness is insane. I am a chef and consider myself an above average knife sharpener and cannot get G5s as sharp. Someone else said they never feel sharp, because they arent as sharp. The iron wills are crazy sharp. I've spent a few days tuning them and shot the iron will probably 20 times into a matrix target, it could still be used for hunting and is still sharper than the G5s.
I am sure G5s would 99% of time get the job done, but I all about reducing the probability of failure when I happen to get a shot.
That being said is anyone needs any G5 M3s I have 6 and a 5 blade case I would be willing to part with.