G5 Broadhead Questions

Zac

WKR
The Montecs are MIM, which basically means they are a reconstituted powder that gets put into a mold. You will never get an edge on a broadhead produced by this method.

hodgeman

WKR
I don't know... I slapped a 100gr Montec completely through a moose this fall at 50yds, hit ribs in and out and cut a literal chunk out of one. I'm not sure how much tougher or sharper is even practical or useful. I never found the arrow despite a lengthy search. Here's a photo of one of the ribs.

I personally think this is something you can spend a lot of $$$ chasing gimmicks and features that just don't add up to field performance.

Attachments

• broadhead.jpg
    broadhead.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 27

dkime

WKR
The Montecs are MIM, which basically means they are a reconstituted powder that gets put into a mold. You will never get an edge on a broadhead produced by this method.

Careful with statements like that, it’s true that they’re MIM but you’re making a mighty broad and bold statement on a process rather than talking about the 30 deg edge and it’s perceived sharpness. Lots of materials and hardness levels and products being made by MIM these days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zac

WKR
Careful with statements like that, it’s true that they’re MIM but you’re making a mighty broad and bold statement on a process rather than talking about the 30 deg edge and it’s perceived sharpness. Lots of materials and hardness levels and products being made by MIM these days

You could talk to a metallurgist that would tell you the same thing. It's impossible to maintain the high degree edges of tool steel with simple mold injection. The nock against the Montecs has always been how dull they are. I think Ahnillator is doing a decent job with their edges and they are using a mold. However they are using 4140 tool steel and utilizing a cryogenic process which really uniforms the material. The consistenty of the molecular chains is what allows a razor edge. MIM injection has a chaotic molecular dispersion. It is literally impossible to line up the chains parallel to each other in order to create that razor thin line that creates the edge.

Last edited:

dkime

WKR
You could talk to a metallurgist that would tell you the same thing. It's impossible to maintain the high degree edges of tool steel with simple mold injection. The nock against the Montecs has always been how dull they are. I think Ahnillator is doing a decent job with their edges and they are using a mold. However they are using 4140 tool steel and utilizing a cryogenic process which really uniforms the material. The consistenty of the molecular chains is what allows a razor edge. MIM injection has a chaotic molecular dispersion. It is literally impossible to line up the chains parallel to each other in order to create that razor thin line that creates the edge.

I’ll let you tell David Boye that. Regardless the thread isn’t about MIM, OP like I mentioned before you should shoot G5 an email

Zac

WKR
I’ll let you tell David Boye that. Regardless the thread isn’t about MIM, OP like I mentioned before you should shoot G5 an email

His original problem was with a G5 head. If he wants to shoot something without replaceable blades there are far better options than the Montec. VPA, Tooth of the Arrow, and Kudu are all superior options with similar price points.

dkime

WKR
His original problem was with a G5 head. If he wants to shoot something without replaceable blades there are far better options than the Montec. VPA, Tooth of the Arrow, and Kudu are all superior options with similar price points.

I agree, I shoot VPA heads daily. Only head of this style I will buy

Reactions: Zac

JLL

FNG
I found that my arrows did not fly consistently with the Montec or close to how my arrows flew with my field points. I switched to other fixed blade broad heads (Exodus) and they were much better and accurate.

Well stated. Thanks

Two shots on a Montec CS... in a Morrell target, and the edge dulled/rolled to a point where it couldn't be resharpened. Absolute and complete trash nowadays.