G5 montec sharpening

Junibravo

FNG
I am setting up 125gr G5 montecs for my upcoming elk trip. Do i need to sharpen them out of the box? Also once they are sharpened should i expect the edges to cut paper or hair?
I have sharpened a couple out of the box with a diamond whetstone. The tip seems super sharp but i cant seem to get the edges sharp enough to cut hair. But the angle i am trying to cut at (right angle to the cutting edge) is not the angle the blade would cut the elk at.

Not an expert here but any edge (whether it’s a broadhead or kitchen knife) that cannot cut paper is dull. Any edge that cannot cut hair is mildly sharp.

I suck at sharpening so I only shoot replaceable blade broadheads.

Warlock

FNG
I just bought some, and while I'm no expert I tried to cut paper with the blade of one and wasn't too impressed with the sharpness. I'd definitely sharpen them or at least touch them up out of the box.

Slugz

WKR
Out of the box the CS will be sharper, take an edge easier and hold a edge longer. I've experimented a bunch and this seems to have produced the best edge.
I think a fair amount of videos on You Tube also as the owner does a lot of experimenting and studies on sharpening.

344 sharpener

You want your broadheads sharp, that's one of the problems with the Montecs, they just aren't that sharp and don't seem to take an edge that well.

A buddy had the same problem with the nap hellrazor, he was able to get them sharp, and actually scary sharp, but it took a good bit of time per head.

My take is I'll just buy something that is sharp to begin with, I find they are easier to resharpen too.

I just sharpened up a half dozen and all cut hair. I used a 1200 flat stone and pushed them forward on the stone, tip to the front.

Zac

WKR
You will probably never get a metal injection mold head sharp, regardless of what method you try. Montecs may be the worst big box store head available. Extremely loud and super dull.

Zac

WKR
If you suck at sharpening or you just prefer not to do it, there is nothing wrong with getting a replaceable blade head. There's plenty of options in the price range of the Montec. Slick Trick, the Stryker, Wac Em, and Magnus will all work just fine. That Redline from Grizzly Stick is probably the best bang for your buck with aluminum ferrule and stainless blades.

corey006

Lil-Rokslider
The best way to tell if your broadheads are sharp...is a slightly stretched rubber band. It should cut it easily.

IF you are using shaving test the hair should literally "pop" off with little or no effort.

I have seen blades that would shave hair but failed to cut rubber band.

Its hard to imagine G5 sending out dull broadheads becasue the Strykers are beyond scary they are spooky sharp....

Zac

WKR
The best way to tell if your broadheads are sharp...is a slightly stretched rubber band. It should cut it easily.

IF you are using shaving test the hair should literally "pop" off with little or no effort.

I have seen blades that would shave hair but failed to cut rubber band.

Its hard to imagine G5 sending out dull broadheads becasue the Strykers are beyond scary they are spooky sharp....
The Stryker uses Lutz blades, same as Slick Trick. Those are definitely not manufactured in house.

Bwana

WKR
I tape wet/dry sand paper to a piece of glass, and hone all 3 sides equal amounts until razor sharp....start with 600 grit and go as high as you prefer. If they need reprofiled start at a lower grit like 320, and work up. A thick piece if glass (mine is 8"x12") is about as flat as you can get in the real world.

TheTone

WKR
I tape wet/dry sand paper to a piece of glass, and hone all 3 sides equal amounts until razor sharp....start with 600 grit and go as high as you prefer. If they need reprofiled start at a lower grit like 320, and work up. A thick piece if glass (mine is 8"x12") is about as flat as you can get in the real world.
I’ve done basically the same using fine sandpaper on my quartz countertops. I was happy with the sharpness I achieved. I used one for a javelina last winter with a short, heavy blood trail. The same head will be in my quiver this fall

Bwana

WKR
I’ve done basically the same using fine sandpaper on my quartz countertops. I was happy with the sharpness I achieved. I used one for a javelina last winter with a short, heavy blood trail. The same head will be in my quiver this fall
G5 Montecs are well known for being very accurate, and also very dull right out of the package.

Reactions: Zac
I am glad to read this... I have had a hell of a time sharpening the G5s and thought it was me.... not impressed at all, but other than being hard to sharpen have worked well for me.

Bwana

WKR
I am glad to read this... I have had a hell of a time sharpening the G5s and thought it was me.... not impressed at all, but other than being hard to sharpen have worked well for me.
Wet sand paper with water, on a hard flat surface...and your sharpening woes are over Sir. You may have to reprofile the angle a bit with courser paper, then switch to fine(once again wet)....then a light honing with fine is all that's needed to keep them razor sharp, and very good blood trails.

Montecs have won the World Championship Broad head tournament for years, always spin test them to make sure you don't have a bad one in the batch...if you do, G5 will send you a new one.

Wet sand paper with water, on a hard flat surface...and your sharpening woes are over Sir. You may have to reprofile the angle a bit with courser paper, then switch to fine(once again wet)....then a light honing with fine is all that's needed to keep them razor sharp, and very good blood trails.

Montecs have won the World Championship Broad head tournament for years, always spin test them to make sure you don't have a bad one in the batch...if you do, G5 will send you a new one.
Awesome info, Thanks!!

What is the world championship broadhead tournament?

I haven't heard of it.