G9 Defense

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Please welcome G9 Defense to Rokslide. They are a great N. Idaho company.

Here is a little more about them.

"G9 Defense exists to build the most effective and reliable tools to ensure you can defend, protect, and provide for yourself and others when it matters most. They were founded out of a necessity to bring ammunition and projectile design into the 21st century. With a vision to lift the capability of projectiles past historical expectations, G9 has developed over 51 unique and novel patented shapes in projectile design. In the past two decades, the firearm, defense, and hunting industries have seen massive advancements in technology and capability, while the most critical component remains based on 19th-century technology. With the use of machined brass and copper projectiles, G9 can build into projectile properties far more consistent, precise, and devasting than traditional bullets.

In handguns, G9 Defense makes two primary designs; an External Hollow Point designed to make the most effective wound cavity without overpenetration for daily carry, and their woodsman line is specialized for wilderness defense when deep penetration and large wound cavity are the goals. (Their 10mm Woodsman is the ammo you want with you when chasing elk in bear country.) They have been increasing production capacity at an epic pace over the past few years, and their ammo is now widely available on their website and at local retailers.

Although G9 currently produces mostly defensive pistol ammo, hunting is at the core of company culture. Expect to see equally revolutionary rifle ammo for both hunting and match ammo will be coming to the market soon. Please check out their website, there is a ton of test data and examples of how their bullets perform on there." @G9 Defense

Bouldar

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome. I have seen any of this ammo in south GA but will be on the lookout.

G9 Defense

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Thank you for the introduction! We look forward to giving you all some special insight on how our products work and why you should choose G9 for your personal defense both for everyday carry and in the backcountry.
Although the hunting product line is still on the horizon, rokslide users should be very excited. Product development has been a blast and G9 hunting projectiles have stacked up a pretty considerable body count both in the US and Africa.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Good to have you guys, and another north Idaho company! Must be something in the water up there for innovation (I hear banjos:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I usually carry Underwood hardcast ammo in my sidearm when in the backcountry but when hunting in California, lead ammo (even is your sidearm) is illegal so I started carrying G9 Woodsman instead. Haven't needed it yet but in practice my Glocks eat it up. Nice tight groups in both .40 & 10mm calibers. And with a quick mag swap I can carry it concealed using external HP ammo for in town. Hard to find in So. CA now though.

Last edited:

G9 Defense

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
My department is using the LE only version for our duty ammo, and I can attest it’s no joke! We’ve put it through windshields with zero deflection, and all kinds of body armor. There’s almost zero recoil too.

I want to put the .45 woodsman in my woods pistol next for the 4 legged critters.
Glad to hear your are carrying the best on the job. For the 45, we do offer an LE / Military discount on our website.

G9 Defense

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Has the ammo been tested out in the new Staccato 2011's? Just curious how nice it could run through a C2 or XC.

How about an MPX?
We have a shop Staccato P and 4.5" MPX and they have seen a LOT of G9 rounds. The MPX runs well suppressed and unsuppressed.

G9 Defense

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Any plans for a heavier 10mm Woodsman in the future? Maybe 200-220gr?
We’re constrained by the weight/density of copper and case capacity. A heavier woodsman going the same speed would perform better, but isn’t doable at safe pressures. A heavier grain bullet isn’t necessarily an improvement either.

It’s also important to keep in mind the shape of the projectile is what makes our ammo perform better than others. Our 145gr penetrates deeper than 200+ hard cast in bare gel and through bone while leaving a bigger wound the whole way. And I can tell you there’s a huge difference in shootability too!

Improvement in projectile design gives much better better gains in terminal performance than adding weight. We’ve been doing a ton of testing lately and I plan to put together a post next week demonstrating how our 10mm performs against popular bear loads.

Okay...would love to see heavier (200+gr) Underwood & Buffalo Bore hardcast comparisons. At a glance the Woodsman "design" doesn't appear much different.

media__69375.1628096789.jpg

G9 Defense

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
See the attached photo for a little shade tree ballistics. Not a perfect test to my frustration, but a great comparison. Not going to call out specific manufacturers by name, but this photo shows the first 16" of wounding comparing us to leading competitors that make 200+ hard cast. The gel blocks are 20% ordnance gel to reduce penetration, so we didn't have line up 5ft of gel to do the test,. It's double the density of standard ballistic gel which also reduces the wound track size so keep that in mind. The catch block was reused for this test, so we didn't include photos.

G9 and the 220gr flat nose penetrated completely through the initial 16" block and catch block, for a total of 34" of gel. The 200gr stopped at 31". The 220gr had slowed down enough on exit that when it impacted a steel bullet trap it had minor side deformation. The G9 was still moving fast enough to significantly deform the copper on impact.

I was a little disappointed we didn't have enough gel set up to get hard data on penetration depths and may conduct the test again. Either way, I believe both the G9 and the 220gr performed exceptionally well. Key differences between those two for me are the volume of the wound, recoil/shoot-ability, and reliability across all handgun platforms.

Attachments

• 145 WM vs hardcast comparison.jpg
    145 WM vs hardcast comparison.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 60