GA/AL Whitetail Guided Hunts

DamnRinella

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone have any firsthand experience with a guided hunt in Georgia or Alabama? Preferably a 3 day hunt with some lodging included, but doesn’t need to be real high end. And fair chase is mandatory!

I believe some have options with no trophy cost, some allow for a doe and a buck, plus hogs.

Thanks everyone!

Ursus1975

FNG
i dont have any first hand experience with a guide service here but will check around. Its going to be hard to find one that is fair chase most are high fence

Being raised in GA and spending most of my life on the GA/Bama line, if I was going to pay to hunt whitetail, I’d go to another state. Those white tails are getting bigger, but why?

OP
D

DamnRinella

Lil-Rokslider
Has to be bigger than my home state in FL! Just trying to find a fun weekend trip as don’t have the funds or vacation hours for our west this year

JimGa

Lil-Rokslider
There are a lot of MLK weekend hunts that private schools sponsor in Alabama. I hunted near Clayton and there is an outfitter near there called Hawkins Ridge Lodge. It's a decant area, but your not going to kill a 150" deer. If you hunt that area of Al go end of January, but weather plays a huge role.

OP
D

DamnRinella

Lil-Rokslider
Will check it out thx! I am new to hunting so no trophy or size requirements for me.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
Why don't you try some public land in georgia, there are areas that you can kill deer and hogs on public there, I know of one spot I could direct you too, but i aint gonna blast it on the internet, PM me if u need

pk_

WKR
Has to be bigger than my home state in FL! Just trying to find a fun weekend trip as don’t have the funds or vacation hours for our west this year
Check out southern arrowhead outfitters I believe they have property in both N FL and S GA.
My dad and uncle took me there when I was younger we all saw bucks I saw a toad, probably still one of the biggest bucks I have seen in FL. But that was like 15+ years ago you need to hunt it like public land the deer are educated.

Mudpuddle

Lil-Rokslider
I know this isn't what you're looking for, but since you aren't interested in a trophy I would look into hunting public land or join a hunting club. For about the same amount of money you could probably find a hunting club in south Georgia and have someone there who could introduce you to hunting. And Georgia posts the hunter success rates online for their quota hunts, so be sure to take a look at those. I went on a primitive weapons hunt last year that doesn't require any points and has a high success rate. You will not shoot a trophy, but you have a very good chance of shooting one or two deer.

OP
D

DamnRinella

Lil-Rokslider
Just a bit of background, I am just learning hunting now at 40 without any mentors so a bit timid to diy on public lands. I will probably go the guided way until I get a better handle on everything, I have mixed feelings on it as I fish a lot and it’s definitely much more gratifying to diy. However, with limited time and family finding time to scout and even hunt is hard to come by. Especially in FL. But love the idea of getting involved with my kids. Damn Rinella is sarcasm for starting me down this rabbit hole but it’s amazing!

Plus the people on this forum are the best. Thanks for all the great information and offers!

Carr5vols

WKR
Watch some videos and get in a club in South GA or hunt public land. Use resources on here for questions. You can do it. A guide is just going to put you in a stand and leave there will be very little teaching.

Mudpuddle

Lil-Rokslider
I have a coworker who together with her husband had never been hunting before. They taught themselves over the course of the season and got four deer last fall on public land in Georgia. There are also opportunities out there to learn from others such as this program: https://www.qdma.com/recruit/field-to-fork/. All that to say I think you could have fun and find success doing it on your own. Good luck!

Bogle

FNG
I agree with JimGa. For the cost of a guided hunt you could get a year lease and kill a couple of deer, not to mention turkeys. My son had seen more deer in GA by the time he was 9, than I had seen in my entire life in Florida, which made for a positive experience for him as well. If you get in a good club there will be guys in there that will help you learn and make it a positive experience for you and your kids.

slaton

Lil-Rokslider
I would at least put in for points in the quota system. Some quality hunts to be had. Not going to put any info on web but PM me and I can give you some info on some WMAs that have been productive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk