Gaia and CalTopo

Rokwiia

WKR
I'm trying to decide which direction to go in as I'm upgrading my GPS equipment. I like CalTopo and have used it for years on my desktop. I'd consider GAIA if I could upload maps from Caltopo into GAIA. Is that possible or does GAIA only use the maps in its own inventory?

If not, I'm considering getting a Garmin 66i and uploading Caltopo maps into it which I know I can do. Can you upload Caltopo maps to the InReach Mini?

Brendan

WKR
No, I don't think you can upload Caltopo maps into either Gaia, or the Inreach Mini.

With that said, Gaia does have a bunch of Caltopo maps already as part of the premium inventory, and there's very little in Caltopo that you can't get in Gaia. Might want to check out the actual layers available before you make your decision.

OP
Rokwiia

Rokwiia

WKR
Thank Brendan. That's very helpful. My go-to map layer is MapBuilder Topo because it provides clearly-marked distances on trails. It doesn't look like MapBuilder is an option with GAIA.

Here's an embarrassing question which shows I don't use a smartphone in the outdoors. Can I load both GAIA and CalTopo apps on my phone, open both up and have them running at the same time so I could somehow toggle between the two apps?

Brendan

WKR
There's no reason you can't toggle back and forth between two apps.

With that said, I've never used Caltopo on my phone, have never had a need. How I use it is on my laptop to integrate the layers into Google Earth for scouting purposes. I don't know if it has the ability to download maps and be used off the grid like you can with Gaia, OnX, Basemap.