GAIA issue and question

Rokwiia

WKR
Yesterday, I was out and did a 9-mile loop on a prescribed trail. I had mapped out the course in advance on GAIA on my desktop and knew it was an overall ascent of ~1,800'. With a mile to go, GAIA was showing about 1,600' of ascent. When we finished, I looked at my cell phone and it showed the total ascent was only 1,200'.

The full loop was displayed and recorded on my cell phone and it showed 9 miles, as it should. How is it possible for the total ascent go from 1,600' down to 1,200 when it should have gone to 1,800'?

corncob

WKR
Seems like this might be a problem on rolling tracks instead of a steady curve, and happens during the smoothing for ascent calculation instead of the actual recording of the points.

I would export your track and see if it calculates differently when you import into another program. A bit concerning, but not the end of the world for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Rokwiia

Rokwiia

WKR
I had another yet different issue on Saturday. I did a hike with several others. One person uses GAIA on his iphone while I use it on my Android. We both started our GAIA track at the same time and place and stopped it together so data should be the same. When we finished the hike the distance within 1/10 miles of each other but the total ascent on his was 1,800' while mine showed 1,500'.

That's a fairly sizeable difference. What could possibly account for that difference?

corncob

WKR
Was it straight up and straight down, or rolling terrain?

I think in order to answer that question for sure you’ll have to export both of the tracks to another software like CalTopo or somewhere that you can look at the individual points and see what total ascent was based on CalTopo’s calculation. If you read my previous link, you’ll see the total ascent calculated field for Gaia is done via a smoothing calculation with seems to work fine with mostly straight linear ascents and descents, but has issues with frequently rolling terrain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk