GAIA?

dtrkyman

WKR
Looking at the 5 year premium plan, how does it compare to onx? I have a single state onx now but want all states. Obviously gaia pricing is much better.

Anyone using it I would love to hear your opinion, comparisons to onx as well if possible.

Thanks

I use both Gaia and OnX. OnX is obviously superior when it comes to showing property boundaries which in some hunt areas is an invaluable feature. I find with Gaia that I can save larger hunt areas in one block with similar level of detail. I also find with Gaia that my phone screen won't lock when it's in use (iphone) which is helpful especially when driving backroads to your hunting spot. With OnX running my screen will go in lock unless I change the lock time under the phone settings. If I could only live with one? OnX for hunting, Gaia for other outdoor activities.

I use Gaia. I’ve liked it for everything used it for so far. As mentioned already it’s pretty easy to save large portions of aerial imagery to use offline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deep_al

FNG
I've been using Gaia with the public lands and landowner layers (if needed) for a couple years now.
I find it works just as well as OnX for a fraction of the price. I don't think the layers are as optimized on Gaia as OnX so make sure that you pre-download the public lands and landowner layers when you are on WIFI as they can take a while to download over mobile data, and can bog down the map if you have too many layers turned on.

tdhanses

WKR
I use both Gaia and OnX. OnX is obviously superior when it comes to showing property boundaries which in some hunt areas is an invaluable feature. I find with Gaia that I can save larger hunt areas in one block with similar level of detail. I also find with Gaia that my phone screen won't lock when it's in use (iphone) which is helpful especially when driving backroads to your hunting spot. With OnX running my screen will go in lock unless I change the lock time under the phone settings. If I could only live with one? OnX for hunting, Gaia for other outdoor activities.

Hmm I’ve used both and far prefer Gaia over OnX but everyone will have personal pref. Not sure what you mean on property boundary’s as both have this same data.

bobr1

WKR
I've only used GAIA so far, I really like it. Might try out OnX this year as well just to see if I prefer the function of one over the other.

Brendan

WKR
I have both Gaia and OnX right now. Make me pick one, even at the same price, I'd pick Gaia. But, I am going to use both this fall again and see if that opinion changes.

There are a couple things OnX does marginally better, but not significant.

TheCougar

WKR
I have Gaia. Provides 95% of what onX does, at a significantly lower cost. onX was a bit more polished, but once Gaia added their ownership layer, that sealed the deal for me.

Takem

WKR
I've used both and as of last fall I preferred The ONX. They seemed make some improvements last year that made it easier to use than it was previously.

Beendare

WKR
I've been using GAIA, its been fantastic- totally reliable in Alaska, Japan, the US of course. Simpler to use than the GPS units I dumped.

Now the question is; If I upgrade my phone will my GAIA transfer? I got GAIA when it was a one time purchase $29- before you have to pay every year for the subscription. Though it would be worth the subscription price....

Brendan

WKR
I've been using GAIA, its been fantastic- totally reliable in Alaska, Japan, the US of course. Simpler to use than the GPS units I dumped.

Now the question is; If I upgrade my phone will my GAIA transfer? I got GAIA when it was a one time purchase $29- before you have to pay every year for the subscription. Though it would be worth the subscription price....

Yes, it should transfer. I had to email them when I switched to Android from iOS, but they got me taken care of.

Might be worth shooting them an email in advance though.

Although now that I think about it, do you have private land ownershup layer in yours, or is that still extra? Trying to remember from my initial purchase...

OK this is exactly where I was at. I had to get a new phone a few months ago but had Gaia for years. The app wouldn't transfer and I think I contacted them somehow and they got it activated on my new phone. However, it is some kind of older version and not the premium membership hence I don't see any property line layers. That's fine for me as I have OnX for the propety lines.

I used OnX for a couple years, and then found Gaia when it was time to renew my OnX subscription last year. I used the free trial subscription last fall, and I just paid for the 5 year Gaia subscription. I prefer it over OnX. While OnX may do a few things better, or have a few different functions, I feel like Gaia is a better overall product for what I need.

Mikedlaw

Lil-Rokslider
I use them both right now. Gaia take a little bit to setup with the map layers you want, where onx may be a little more user friendly. Gaia shows property boundaries but doesn't show property owner's information on Android. I think it does on iPhone.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Brendan

WKR
I use them both right now. Gaia take a little bit to setup with the map layers you want, where onx may be a little more user friendly. Gaia shows property boundaries but doesn't show property owner's information on Android. I think it does on iPhone.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
It does on Android if you have Premium.

468112341a8c08ab6101069a522b95c7.jpg

Last edited: