Gaiter loop material

yggdrasil

FNG
I have been looking to match the gaiter loop material that is present on my pairs of Patagonia pants I was issued many years ago. Sewing loops of this material into my other pants I use for hunting would be an awesome way to upgrade pants that I love, but that ride up while pushing through thick brush. I am in the process of reaching out to Patagonia as well and hoping for an answer soon. It appears to be some sort of lightweight nylon tape, but I have not found anything similar at the big box hobby stores, or online. Most everything I come across is either too thick, or does not seem durable enough.

I love this design as it allows me to make my own 550 cord loops that keep my pants from riding up and allowing debris to enter my boots while busting brush. It is easy to remove the 550 cord, and the sewn in loops are not even noticeable during normal wear.

IMG_2023.jpgIMG_2024.jpg

WoodBow

WKR
I second grosgrain. You can even buy it at Walmart. It is really just ribbon.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Great idea, ive thought about doing this too. My fjallraven keb trousers have a metal hook on the front for your laces like a gaiter, a small loop on each side of the bottom and an adjustable cuff. I used some cordage to turn them into makeshift gaiters on a backpack hunt cause my partner forgot his gaiters and had to use mine when we had to posthole through snow for a couple days. It worked surprisingly well so ive been thinking of adding something similar to my hunting pants ever since

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey, if you wanted, I will cut off a couple feet of Grosgrain and mail it to you. I have rolls of Coyote. I might have another color if you prefer it.

No cost, just pay it forward.

OP
yggdrasil

yggdrasil

FNG
Thank you everybody for your responses, sounds like we have our answer. I am not a fan of gaiters 99% of the time, but using loops like this on pants isn't even noticeable. I am planning on sewing loops like you see in those pictures onto pairs of Wrangler Outdoors pants they sell at Walmart for around $22. I have been hunting a ton in them and they are a phenomenal pant for the price, and hold up pretty well too. I could burn through 6-7+ pairs before even getting close to a pair of Kuiu/Sitka/First Lite pants. Adding these loops will just make them even better, and I figure learning to use the wife's sewing machine will allow me to extend their lifecycle further than their cost should even allow.

For anyone interested search the Walmart site for Wrangler Men's Outdoor Zip Cargo Pant.

hereinaz, I would gladly take you up on your offer, although this was my first post here so I am unable to PM.

OP
yggdrasil

yggdrasil

FNG
My wife showed me how to set up her sewing machine last night and I went to town trying to figure out how to sew. I have no idea if this was the right stitch or if it will hold, but this is the general concept for the gaiter loops. I tried sewing a backing piece of grosgrain into the hem prior to the loop piece but that ended up being a mess so I just sewed the loop directly to the pant fabric. It seems like it is holding strong but only time under stress will tell. Any advice would be appreciated, as this was my first time trying anything like this, let alone touching a sewing machine.

Big thanks to hereinaz for sending me the grosgrain needed to get this project started.

Gaiter Loops v1.jpg

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
That looks good! I bet it will hold just fine.

I can't tell if you did a back stitch at the beginning and end to hold, but you'll want to do that for sure. Otherwise it comes apart.

I usually like to run two separate stitches, just in case one fails for some reason. If you ran a straight stitch over the top of the zig zag, there would be little chance of it coming apart.

OP
yggdrasil

yggdrasil

FNG
Hereinaz, I did run a back stitch at the beginning and end of each run, however, I wasn't sure at what point to do it on the zig-zag stitch. The sewing machine manual only gave directions for a straight stitch (starting back stitch 3-4 stitches in), which was easier to wrap my head around than the zig zag which hops all over the place and is hard to count. I am definitely going to run a straight stitch over the top now when I have time, thanks for the good advice.