Gaiters for warm weather and cheat grass

macabra11

FNG
I do a lot of upland hunting in sage/rabbit brush, cheat grass, cockle-burrs, and other various and sundry "boot fillers". Looking to get some gaiters that keep that stuff out of my boots and won't allow it to stick. I've never used gaiters before, but worry about them making me too hot.

I'd like to try running these with my 6" hikers, but would also use them with my 10" Kenetreks as well. Any suggestions?

xcutter

WKR
I have the Kenetrek gaiters and the Sitka Stomfront. Both are comfortable but I get hot in both. Wore my Kenetrek's the other day and it was in the upper 80's. Completely soaked them with sweat through my pants.

*zap*

WKR
Gaiters will cover to your knees unless they are 'short gaiters' but nylon chaps will cover to your crotch.

Wisco1

FNG
I have the Outdoor Research gaiters and have liked them so far. You may struggle with some burrs on the velcro at the top, but the rest should be pretty bulletproof. Goodluck!

Poser

WKR
For hot weather, I use the OR Thru Gaiters -probably the lightest gaiter on the market, in no way waterproof, but they’ll keep debris out of your footwear.

OP
macabra11

macabra11

FNG
I have the Outdoor Research gaiters and have liked them so far. You may struggle with some burrs on the velcro at the top, but the rest should be pretty bulletproof. Goodluck!
Yeah, that is the part I was most concerned about–velcro. There are some gaiters out there with zippers, but most seem to use a velcro system. I know velcro on other parts of my gear gets loaded up with debris, and the soft part of the velcro can get "fuzzed out".

Walking through all that grass, my boots do get quite wet. Having some waterproofing would be nice.

Anozira

WKR
I like using gaiters especially in cooler weather because it keeps debris out of my boots and as another layer the insulation keeps my legs slightly warmer.

In warmer weather it will make your feet warmer and sweat more but you have to ask yourself which you want more? Warmer feet or stuff/ debris out of your boots.

Edit: One thing I noticed on a multi-day backpacking trip. The use of gaiters keeps the bottom of my pants cleaner and free of mud which is nice when your wearing the same pants for 2-3 days or more.

I got the Kenetrek hikers for warm weather stuff, they worked great over my 6 inch Lowas but wouldn’t fit with my 10 inch crispis. Not too hot in the 100 degree heat and I was glad to have them when our packout took us though a creekbed that still had some pools of water and mud.

OP
macabra11

macabra11

FNG
Yeah, I am starting to think that one pair of gaiters isn't going to do it all. The Kenetrek Hikers for short boots and early season, and a taller/thicker gaiter for later season/big game/tall boots.

Are the Kenetrek Hikers essentially just a shorter version of their Hunting gaiters? Or are there other differences?

syoungs

FNG
I wear outsoor research crocodiles year round. The velcro does pick up stuff, but usually brushes out easily. They do make your lower legs run warmer, but they are bomb proof, and warmer legs hasnt been that big of a deal to me.
I usually open them up and let my legs breath anytime were taking a break for more then a few minutes.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
for warmer to cooler weather (without any significant snow)- Sitka Ascent; they have an adjustable strap so they work fine with trail runners to mountain boots

rayporter

WKR
i like chaps if the weeds get high or the briars are thick.

gaiters to me are anything that covers your boots. i have made canvas ones and they have held up for 7 years now. i have cheap nylon ones and they have held up for more than 13 years. i have leather ones too. but they get hot.

i dont have any name brands.