Gaiters...worth it?

I’m trying to add a few items to my hunting kit this year. I already purchased a mystery ranch bino harness and now I’m looking at gaiters. I usually hunt in rubber boots (95% of the time) but this year I’m wanting to hike away from the lakes a little more. Tundra and marsh is the terrain. Would a set of gaiters be the ideal? I’d be wearing them over a nice pair of hiking boots.

Agross

WKR
I never understood why the hell people used gaiters. Then I went against my will and tried a pair. I really like em

Gaiters will really help keep your feet dry in wet tundra. Paired with rain pants, I've made stream crossings with water over my knees and stayed dry. Won't hunt without them.

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
For the occasional splash that would go over the boot tops, a well fitted pair of waterproof gaiters will keep you dry when you would’ve had wet socks without them.

They’ll keep your boots tied and free of snow or debris, and your pants legs clean.

They’ll keep your legs hot, and given enough time and exposure to moisture will wick water up to your pants and eventually into your socks.

They aren’t the be-all and end-all to every scenario, but when they work they really work well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run Sitka Gaiters and they are awesome. My favorite part is how fast they dry out over a stove or campfire compared to having to dry out pant legs or top of boots. Keeps the snow from building up around bottom laces and all that debris from sage/grass/pine needles. Highly recommend.

Superdoo

WKR
Ordered a pair of these and they arrived the other day. No use yet but from the stitching quality and the fact that they are made in America, they appear to be well worth the low cost they’re asking. I ordered chaps too.

OP
Y
A pair of waterproof hiking boots and a good pair of gaiters would be much more comfortable than rubber boots. We are huge fans of the Sitka Stormfront Gaiter!
That’s what I’m thinking. My rubber boots sucks if I got to hike some distance. I used my hiking boots last year and they were great til I stepped where I thought it was more solid than what it was.

OP
Y
I never understood why the hell people used gaiters. Then I went against my will and tried a pair. I really like em
That’s my thought. Heck, my first bino harness experience sucked. Apparently it’s the piece of gear I’m missing to make me a hunter so I bought a decent one (i hope).

rkramer

FNG
I asked myself the same question last year before going into the frank church. Brought them along for the hell of it and they ended up being one of my most important pieces.

I bought a pair 10 years ago and never used them. I bring crocs for camp shoes and just change into them for stream crossings, as to not risk getting socks wet. There are some for sure advantages though especially reading some of these responses. I may have to bring them along next time and see if I can become a convert.

JakeSCH

WKR
I don't remember which brand I have, but fairly cheap black pair off amazon and it works perfectly. Now if you need it to match your cammo you could spend a lot more.

I run mine with schnee's beartooths and my feet stay dry. I really like having them for snow, socks do not get wet.

Chrisamx

FNG
I used Kenetrek gaiters for first time last year. Live and hunt high desert and have a variety of weather and terrain. Kept me from having to take my boots off to shake out debris. I wouldn't hunt without them now.

OP
Y
Gaiters will really help keep your feet dry in wet tundra. Paired with rain pants, I've made stream crossings with water over my knees and stayed dry. Won't hunt without them.
This is what has me interested. I don’t wear rain pants, but I do wear bibs if I ain’t walking to far. I tend to overheat if I push to hard. I always have a set of bibs on me though and if I’m sitting I will wear them. So they are pretty waterproof?

OP
Y
I bought a pair 10 years ago and never used them. I bring crocs for camp shoes and just change into them for stream crossings, as to not risk getting socks wet. There are some for sure advantages though especially reading some of these responses. I may have to bring them along next time and see if I can become a convert.

I am never so stuck in my ways that I won’t try something. I seriously wrote off bino harness til a precious thread convinced me to give it a go again. Gaiters I’ve never owned.
I’ll give it a go this year.

Sadler

WKR
My only recommendation is to get a pair where the buckles and hardware aren’t exposed and are underneath the gaiter. I noticed that it helps keep sticks and brush from jamming in between your ankle and that strap that goes under your foot. The kuiu katanas are and Sitka thunderheads are built like that.

wyodan

WKR
I almost always have a set of gaiters around, except when it is really hot. You can get through some reasonably deep water with a pair on, they keep your pants legs from getting torn up in underbrush, and keep you relatively dry when just stomping around in wet conditions. Also, they will keep you quite a bit warmer. I can ditch bottom underlayers for quite a bit longer with gaiters than without.

This is what has me interested. I don’t wear rain pants, but I do wear bibs if I ain’t walking to far. I tend to overheat if I push to hard. I always have a set of bibs on me though and if I’m sitting I will wear them. So they are pretty waterproof?

I have the kuiu Yukon gaiters and they’re great. Any that are goretex or similar fabric should be pretty waterproof.

Used them for the first time last year. Bought them on a whim when I saw there was a slight chance of rain where were heading (ND badlands). Ended up getting a crazy storm and a bunch of rain the first night we were there and turned the whole country into super snotty clay soup. Gaiters totally saved my boots/laces from gumming up with clay, and kept my pants dry when walking through standing water. Whenever we'd stop to glass, I'd open up my gaiters to let my legs breath a bit.