Gaiters

elayt213

FNG
Just wondering what gaiters you guys recommend, if any. Planning my first elk hunt this year so trying to be as prepared as possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C.payne

WKR
Outdoor Research Crocodile gators are one of the best all around tried and true. Most guys I know run them up here in BC. I have also ran the Rab Latok. They were really nice and breathe well, better than the OR Crocodiles but I only got a bit over a year out of them.
I have heard good things from the Kuiu and Kryptek Takur gators as well but I don’t have any experience with either of those.

Tbone58

Lil-Rokslider
I use the OR Crocodile gaiters. I like the fit and design of them. Works great in creek crossings, snow and mud. I’ve used the kenetreks and didn’t like them as much but a size bigger would have helped. I’ve also heard good things about kuiu and would try them next just to have more input on it

I have some REI shorter ones and the large Kenetreks. I like them both. Use the REI's when not walking thru tall stuff or deep snow. Use the much taller Kenetreks for tall wet grass, deeper snow. Both holding up okay.

OMB

WKR
Kuiu Yukon have been great for me the past two years, very durable and not too loud.

bruno59

WKR
I have both the kenetreks and the kuiu yukons and both had held up well for a few years now and are still going strong

I have chicken legs and wore the kenetreks for a season. They were way to baggy and they are also very loud. Switched to the kuiu Yukon and love the fit and are much quieter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fish_monger

Lil-Rokslider
I use the OR Crocodile gaiters. I like the fit and design of them. Works great in creek crossings, snow and mud. I’ve used the kenetreks and didn’t like them as much but a size bigger would have helped. I’ve also heard good things about kuiu and would try them next just to have more input on it

Never used gaiters, but I’ve heard people reference creek crossing multiple times.

They’re not water tight.. right? are you wearing waterproof pants and shoes or just dealing with wet boots?

Tbone58

Lil-Rokslider
Never used gaiters, but I’ve heard people reference creek crossing multiple times.

They’re not water tight.. right? are you wearing waterproof pants and shoes or just dealing with wet boots?

The OR crocodile are made of Gore Tex. My pants are water resistant and coded in dwr. The boots are water resistant and I do the recommended water proofing for them. I haven’t had issues with slow creeks and small creeks. I have crossed some streams and was okay but I crossed one stream that was moving faster and one leg got wet but that was for the best to get one leg wet and not the rest of me. It was a little to fast and a lot of rocks. I’ve had good luck with my experience with them. if you get them test Out the limitations of them before going hunting

Poser

WKR

Since you have the gaiters cinched tight at both ends, they are holding some air. If you are quick with your footwork, you can cross a creek that is almost knee deep and not get water in your boots. You do have to be quick. Additionally, they will keep wet vegetation from soaking your boots and pants.

wyodan

WKR

You will not have wet feet. Just step fast and high. I've crossed some substantial waters wearing gaiters and kept my feet dry, although a couple of times the water went over the top of the gaiters.

tlkaetz

WKR
Outdoor Research Crocodile Gators

I have used the Kenetreks and I prefer OR.

Rock-o

WKR
Kenetrek gaiters are the best.

Disclaimer: Full disclosure: I've never used any others so I have no basis for comparison. But, still, they are the best. I think, in my inexperienced opinion.