Gaiters

Reflex

FNG
I've noticed quite a few guys using them and I am a bit intrigued. I suppose the primary purpose is to keep your pants dry when the grass is wet in the morning. Is that all? I've never had a problem with debris getting into my boots. Who all uses them and why?

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use them mainly for debris in my boots. It is a bonus that they keep my lower leg a little more dry. I usually run the 6" ones that are trail running gaiters, but I do have some larger OR ones when needed.

Snow and spring hunting mainly. I like having dry pant legs around my boots it also keeps my socks dryer above my boots so the moisture doesn't make in to my feet.

Rod

Lil-Rokslider
I will be using them for the first time this year also. Do you folks wear them all day or just in the morning with the wet grass? I know some use them for stream crossing also.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I will be using them for the first time this year also. Do you folks wear them all day or just in the morning with the wet grass? I know some use them for stream crossing also.

Depends...we did an 8 day sheep/caribou combo trip last year where it was rainy about 7 of the days, and I wore them all day everyday over my rain pants to keep my socks dry and keep my rain pants tucked in and reduce snagging. Also typically wear them all day in the mountains if i am hiking thru loose rocks or shale to keep everything out of my boots. In nicer weather, or when hiking above brush line I sometimes take them off but they really do make a difference on creek crossings. If you cross quickly you can go slightly higher than your boot tops for a moment or too without getting wet feet. I guess I wear them more often then not.

tstowater

WKR
I have wore them for years. They work great in snow and wet environments where the moisture issues are close to the ground and you don't want to wear rain gear. I normally will wear them all day to keep dirt, mud, grass, rocks and branches from getting inside my pants. Unless it is reall warm, I really don't remember that I am wearing them. The ones I have are taller and go to just below my knees. I have preordered a pair from Kuiu. Once you get used to wearing them, you wonder why you didn't wear them before.

Bearcat

FNG
I was in New Zealand a few years back and it seemed to be THE thing for the locals on the south island where I did some treks, that and shorts. After that I have been back pack hunting with gaiters and shorts ever since. I really like the range of motion with that set up, and the lower body doesn't over heat. The gaitors keep most of the boot dry and I think helps them last longer.

I wear them all the time now. I wear a short pair of OR's to go with my low-top hikers for early season (keeps the twigs out of my socks and makes the boots more waterproof) and I wear a pair of Kenetreks later in they year when there is snow. The Kenetreks REALLY help keep my boots dry in snow.